Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB112... WOW...

BigBassBob

Hi guys, I haven't posted here for over a year (or so... not quite sure, tend to lurk though). Anywho, I just wanted to share my thoughts with you on a recent purchase.

I've been looking at getting a smaller cab for my Ashdown ABM500evoII to take to rehearsals, auditions, etc, etc. After looking at numerous reviews and comments on the Aguilar DB 112, I decided to fork out for one.

It arrived this morning in the post. So, naturally I clean up my dusty amp head, grab a bass, hook it all up and give it a quick test. WOW. After playing around for about five minutes I'm left speechless. I'm not sure if Ashdown cabs are a bit on the muddy side, but for a moment I thought that I was playing through a completely different amp. Compared to my ABM410 this cabinet sounds clean and crisp, with just the right amount of rumbly-bumbly bass while still remaining tight. To put it bluntly, it's as if someone has come along and taken large wedges of foam from my ears.

So, I carry on fiddling with my amp and I grow more and more perturbed by the fact that the Aguilar cab sounds so much better than my Ashdown cab. All of the little nuances of my playing come through... I only need to make subtle EQ changes on the ABM500 to hear a difference, whereas I used to have to make drastic alterations to get the sound I was after. Really, I'm amazed at the difference between these two cabinets, and right now I'm itching to take it out and test it in a band situation to see how it fares.

What are your thoughts on Aguilar cabs, guys? Has anyone else had an experience like this with an Ashdown cabinet?

Cheers,
Bob.

[quote name='chris_b' post='577323' date='Aug 22 2009, 02:59 AM']Don't stop there. Two DB112's will sound ten times better![/quote]

Interesting you should say that. When I had my 2xGS112s, I thought both together sounded worse. My mate, who still has 2 of the same cabs, agrees. Horses for courses I guess.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='577432' date='Aug 22 2009, 10:53 AM']DB112's have to be in chocolate to sound right as a pair :)

I'm glad you've seen the light.

I used my pair with my new Rebelhead last night, brilliant![/quote]

Sorry Peter, they 'sound' slightly better as a pair when in classic black and silver. :rolleyes:

On a serious note; if you think the single DB sounds good wait till you do try them doubled up. Honestly, they are better than the sum of the parts.

[quote name='4000' post='577427' date='Aug 22 2009, 10:48 AM']....Interesting you should say that. When I had my 2xGS112s, I thought both together sounded worse. My mate, who still has 2 of the same cabs, agrees....[/quote]
I've never seen that happen. My GS112's were great together.

As a previous owner of an ABM EVO blah blah head and 2 ABM115 cabs I have to say that i thought that they were the wooliest, indistinct sounding cabs I had ever heard in my life.

I've no experience of the Aguilars but I replaced both cabs with 1 Schroeder 1212L. It may not go as deep but at least i can hear the notes clearly

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='577458' date='Aug 22 2009, 11:27 AM']Sorry Peter, they 'sound' slightly better as a pair when in classic black and silver. :)

On a serious note; if you think the single DB sounds good wait till you do try them doubled up. Honestly, they are better than the sum of the parts.

[/quote]

Anyone noticed how the Aguilar cabs seem to have some sort of optical illusion? The top cab looks bigger than the bottom, but they are both exactly the same size. It's not just a camera trick either, they look that way in person! It always astounds me how side by side they are identical, whack one on top and all of a sudden the bottom one has shrunk!

Edit: Actually ON TOPIC, they are the best cabs I've had the pleasure of using/owning. With the Ag500 it's an asbolutely killer rig.

Edited by Higgie

[quote name='Higgie' post='577550' date='Aug 22 2009, 01:38 PM']Anyone noticed how the Aguilar cabs seem to have some sort of optical illusion? The top cab looks bigger than the bottom, but they are both exactly the same size. It's not just a camera trick either, they look that way in person! It always astounds me how side by side they are identical, whack one on top and all of a sudden the bottom one has shrunk![/quote]

Think you'll find if your looking at the straight on, form the same level - not from above, they'll both appear as they are (the same size)

[quote name='chris_b' post='577471' date='Aug 22 2009, 11:43 AM']I've never seen that happen. My GS112's were great together.[/quote]

Ah, but you're not me. Or my mate. You may be after a completely different sound or may play completely differently. Having said that, I didn't like the cabs anyway, even singly.

Usually two identical cabs stacked will sound a lot better by virtue of having more LF sensitivity and power handling, thus more output before they distort. The height of the stack will also make it easier to hear the tone. However if you don't like that tone then stacking a pair will make that more audible!

Alex

[quote name='Platypus' post='577561' date='Aug 22 2009, 01:52 PM']Think you'll find if your looking at the straight on, form the same level - not from above, they'll both appear as they are (the same size)[/quote]

Yeah, I understand that, just generally due to the size of the cabs, unless your 3 foot tall, you won't able to see them like that :)

1st of all... Love the look of the DB series...and the black finish is the business, IMV

but slight OT..or a tangient.

Anyone have any comments about the difference between the DB range and GS range...Like-for-like speaker config accepted...??

My thinking is to run 2xGS12 for smaller gigs and then a BD210 and DB115 for bigger things ...IF they fit in my car.
They will replace SWR Goli jnr lll and a SOB15, probably

[quote name='alexclaber' post='577584' date='Aug 22 2009, 02:23 PM']Usually two identical cabs stacked will sound a lot better by virtue of having more LF sensitivity and power handling, thus more output before they distort. The height of the stack will also make it easier to hear the tone. However if you don't like that tone then stacking a pair will make that more audible!

Alex[/quote]

Got it in a nutshell Alex! :)

Now you've got me thinking........
I have only 1 and it's in tweed :rolleyes: I'm using it with the AG5OOSC. It holds its own at band rehearsal.
The one I have is without tweeter.
The question I ask now is, have I got enough in one?
I'm not gigging again yet,but will possibly within the next 2 months.

I normally find about 250 watts is usually more than enough,and when I used my Eden combo had plenty of volume to play with.

Please tell me I have enough power....... :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='577659' date='Aug 22 2009, 04:47 PM']It's generally accepted that the GS's are more scooped in the mids.

Someone will probably come along and trash that theory in a minute however :)

I've used both as a pair and like both. I would go for the DB's for my favourite tone though.[/quote]

Thanks.. I have heard about the scooped mids and I think I can live with that...

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='577786' date='Aug 22 2009, 07:15 PM']Now you've got me thinking........
I have only 1 and it's in tweed :rolleyes: I'm using it with the AG5OOSC. It holds its own at band rehearsal.
The one I have is without tweeter.
The question I ask now is, have I got enough in one?
I'm not gigging again yet,but will possibly within the next 2 months.

I normally find about 250 watts is usually more than enough,and when I used my Eden combo had plenty of volume to play with.

Please tell me I have enough power....... :)[/quote]

My mate uses a single GS112 with a Markbass LMK in a regularly gigging cover band, doing stuff like Springsteen, Eagles etc. I think he hardly gets the rig past 2 or 3. Feel free to chime in Stu!

[quote name='JTUK' post='577656' date='Aug 22 2009, 04:42 PM']Anyone have any comments about the difference between the DB range and GS range...Like-for-like speaker config accepted...??[/quote]

DB are meant to have stiffer enclosures. I've heard it claimed that the speakers are identical, in which case the GS112 must be tuned quite a lot higher to get the bigger lows and thus make the midrange dip sound more obvious. I was wondering if they had heavier magnets on the DB cabs but according to the website (same magnet weight, same claimed sensitivity) that's not the case, so the less stiff cabs on the GS series must soak up quite a lot of midrange energy.

Really cute cabs and the logo looks great with the retro look of the DB series.

Alex

I think everyone knows I am a huge Aguilar fan.

I have yet to hear cabs that use 12s that I prefer over Aguilar. Maybe the Berg AE112s would be a very good match, but for the excellent style, price, and tone, the Aguilar DB cabs are amazing.

I went for Chocolate Thunder for my two DB212s.

And yes, I like them that much that I am more than likely getting a DB112 in Classic Black (then adding another to complete the set later in the year).

[attachment=31439:DSC00262.JPG]

[quote name='4000' post='577846' date='Aug 22 2009, 08:48 PM']My mate uses a single GS112 with a Markbass LMK in a regularly gigging cover band, doing stuff like Springsteen, Eagles etc. I think he hardly gets the rig past 2 or 3. Feel free to chime in Stu![/quote]

Thanks for that. Looks like I have enough power for the mo' :)