Why become a member? ×

Have I damaged the speakers ?

E sharp

Last night on a rehearsal , I had a G5 plugged in line (not in FX loop) into an Eden head and speaker . Whilst noodling , I played an open string and went through the G5 settings , changing parameters as I went , to see if I could find new sounds . Suddenly I noticed that on a particularly high pitched "squeally" setting , the speakers developed an orange glow near the outer edge , pulsing in time with the squeal :) . I showed this to the others to show them and no-one had seen anything like this . Has anyone had this happen ? Have I shagged my speakers or amp . Any ideas .

Used have an Eden rig and the outer edges of the 10" drives would light brilliant white light on hard string plucks at times. I was told it was perfectly normal, as the horn had a 'bulb' to disipate any extra power above and beyond what the driver would handle.

See it on gigs too, where the bass player was using Eden gear. Great effect on dark stages.

Question is, do they still work as normal? If so I would not worry as the 'bulb' obviously did its job.

From this page: [url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/faq/faqtext.htm#speakers3a"]http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/faq/f....htm#speakers3a[/url]

QUOTE:
[quote]Q: I sometimes see a light blinking on and off in my cabinet? What's that about?

This is the tweeter limiter becoming fully engaged. We use a calibrated and modified aircraft light element as the limiter. This bulb actually goes through three distinct phases of operation. Initially, it acts as a soft-knee compressor. At higher levels it acts as a limiter. Finally it acts as a fuse which will blow to protect the tweeter from damage.

When you see that light bulb at full brilliance, this means you're sending approximately 70 to 100 watts RMS to the tweeter - above 4kHz. This means you're probably clipping the amplifier heavily or using an excessive amount of high-frequency boost. If this light is constantly blinking, we suggest you either back off the high-frequency boost or decrease output slightly.[/quote]

Edited by Badass

[quote name='steve-soar' post='575975' date='Aug 20 2009, 07:31 PM']I bet that was trippy.
Light bulb, like the others say.
Do they still sound ok BTW?[/quote]
Still sound OK . I thought that there was some distortion but that soon went - probably "thinking it as I thought that damage had been done" and no problems now with the sound . I don't seem to question , but the small light show on all 4 speakers seems a bit much for it to have come from a tweeter bulb , but tell me I'm wrong . And yeah , trippy it seemed , until I realised that although I don't now gig with this cab , it still cost me 1K new and the price of new speakers would be more than the now 2nd hand price . The trip then abruptly stopped :)

[quote name='E sharp' post='576053' date='Aug 20 2009, 08:44 PM']Still sound OK . I thought that there was some distortion but that soon went - probably "thinking it as I thought that damage had been done" and no problems now with the sound . I don't seem to question , but the small light show on all 4 speakers seems a bit much for it to have come from a tweeter bulb , but tell me I'm wrong . And yeah , trippy it seemed , until I realised that although I don't now gig with this cab , it still cost me 1K new and the price of new speakers would be more than the now 2nd hand price . The trip then abruptly stopped :)[/quote]
Cheers for the replies guys

[quote name='escholl' post='575906' date='Aug 20 2009, 01:34 PM']as mentioned, it's just part of the tweeter protection and is nothing to worry about. you amp is fine. :][/quote]
Yes it is the tweeter lamp lighting up and yes, you should be concerned, as that lamp only lights up when there's excess high frequency input to the tweeter that could harm it, or the lamp, or both. I wouldn't panic, but I'd refrain from doing whatever you were doing that made it so angry.