Why become a member? ×

Amp voltage and power suppy question

Chris V.

Hey guys,

I am moving back to England in a month and I'll be bringing my amps with me - an Aguilar AG500 and an old Engl 850 guitar amp. At the moment, the Aguilar is set at either 220V or 230V, while the Engl is definitely set at 220V. So, when I move to England, am I going to have to get the power supplies adapted for the 240V, or will it be fine?

Thanks,
Chris

[quote name='machinehead' post='575437' date='Aug 20 2009, 01:56 PM']Well, I can tell you that the UK voltage has been harmonised with Europe at a nominal 230V.. Check your own area with a meter though because, in practice, voltage can vary.

You should be OK though.

Frank.[/quote]

Great! That saves me a lot of money.

• 8 years later...

If its class D and looking at the picture its a switched mode (SMPSU) you will have likely fried it.  Generally these power supplies don't fuse before they pop in an incorrect voltage selection, unfortunately as the amp and power supply are on the same board it'll be a whole board change.  This kind of overload in our experiences are generally not worth component replacement as it's caused quite a bit of stress. If you have a tester check the white fuse. The main preamp board will likely be fine mind you.

• 4 weeks later...