Why become a member? ×

Musicman?

beerdragon

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='570808' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:58 PM']I might be wrong but it looks more like a G&L to me[/quote]

That was my first thought, but i thought they didn't start G&L about 1980. and that picture looks earlier. no matter. i have to get off this Pc and find something to do. :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='570819' date='Aug 16 2009, 05:06 PM']That was my first thought, but i thought they didn't start G&L about 1980. and that picture looks earlier. no matter. i have to get off this Pc and find something to do. :)[/quote]

Looks like a G&L to me. What makes you think the pic is earlier than 1980?

It`s a early G&L. What model I dont know. They started in 1979 or thereabouts. Guitar guitar has one almost the same as this one in red and with a single pickup for £1500 due to the fact that it`s a vintage guitar, so they say. Looking at the picture it doesn`t have the familiar headstock so I can only assume it`s an early one or a prototype.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='ahpook' post='570837' date='Aug 16 2009, 05:27 PM']the bridge on the bass looks a lot more G&L than musicman to me.[/quote]

i guess george and leo were wondering what to call it...an G+L?

i had a stingray and i thought that pup was a bit nearer the neck in that photo and the bridge is not as mine was

so i think its a g+l prototype...

[quote name='Higgie' post='570880' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:07 PM']The pickup is too far from the bridge to be an MM. Looks to me like a P Bass with a MM style humbucker.[/quote]

a secret prototype :)
where is it now

would anyone like to have leo's breadboard or make one up themselves

[quote name='JTUK' post='570912' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:34 PM']Leo Fender formed MM after he left Fender or rather he sold to CBS..IIRC so it would be a prototype MM, IMV

He then sold MM ( due to ill health..?? ) and moved on to G&L

Something like that, anyway..[/quote]

Its quite complicated.
Leo formed a company called CLF research that manufactured guitars and amps for the music man company. He had a clause in his sale contract with CBS that prevented him from setting up in competition. CLF and MM fell out, there are all sorts of stories about why, quality was one of apparent reasons, George fullerton said that MM wanted to buy the factory on the cheap, and music man stopped ordering from CLF. Leo had the factory and no orders, his non competion clause had expired, so he started making guitars under the name G&L