Why become a member? ×

Help! something in my amp has melted!

matt_citizenbass

the other day i recieved 2 Peavey Mark 3 heads in the post. i've been very happy with them, they're plenty loud and just the right sound for me.
however today i was just playing along, not loud at all but suddenly one of the amps starting feeding back making almost oscillation noises. it then cut out and all i could hear was sizzling coming from the amp.

what could it be?

i hope its not too serious :)

i'm just rather angry as i sold my soundcity because i wanted something that wasn't so delicate, something that was a complete workhorse and after only two days this bugger has decided to call it a day!

Matt

Don't worry, it happens. you've always got a chance of electronic failure in anything you buy (anything electronic :rolleyes:), and some things make it past QC only to die the first time they're used properly. Just send it back. :)

That's assuming of course that it's new. if second hand then good luck...

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='570743' date='Aug 16 2009, 05:08 PM']If its a Peavey Mark III then it will be at least 25 years old...[/quote]
:rolleyes: Me and my big mouth.

still, 25 yrs old for an amp is good going isn't it? my grannies TV was 10 yrs old and required a good slap to get going properly. Even then it was all red and blue (made watching snooker interesting) Things don't last forever, but I'd be thinking that it's a bit of a coincidence that the amp died so quickly after purchase.
I'm gonna shut up now cos clearly I'm not helping at all :) :lol:

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='570748' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:15 PM']yeah its second hand. haha sh*t.

i just opened it up and theres a completly blackened component.

i still have another one though so that'll do for now.

but i guess i'll have to take it to an amp tech...[/quote]

I'd open the other one and hoover the dust out. Newly posted amps are dodge, as they generally been through a temperature change, they get condensation in them, and if this soaks into teh dust, it can cause some issues.

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='570734' date='Aug 16 2009, 03:56 PM']the other day i recieved 2 Peavey Mark 3 heads in the post. i've been very happy with them, they're plenty loud and just the right sound for me.
however today i was just playing along, not loud at all but suddenly one of the amps starting feeding back making almost oscillation noises. it then cut out and all i could hear was sizzling coming from the amp.

what could it be?

i hope its not too serious :)

i'm just rather angry as i sold my soundcity because i wanted something that wasn't so delicate, something that was a complete workhorse and after only two days this bugger has decided to call it a day!

Matt[/quote]
soundcity to delicate? those things are tanks!

with a SS amp of that age you still gonna have the same amount of problems as you'd get with a valve amp of the same age minus valves, only problem being SS amps are harder to work on if anything does go wrong