Why become a member? ×

Papa Roach - crazy bass swinging in video :|

arabassist

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='568821' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:27 AM']Wow.

Only about 8 years old as well![/quote]

Going on 10 I think!

Saw a band doing it syncronised once... can't think who it was... american screamo band... performance was more interesting than the music, that's about all I remember.

Hmmm.

Works in a video I suppose, but I wouldn't expect many to try that live ... could be catastrophically embarassing if you got it wrong.

Reminds me of the video album by Toni Basil (remember her?) where all the musicians were actually dancers, and the bassplayer routinely did a standing somersault while playing.

I seen some kid in a support band doing it at the Islington Bar Academy once, he pulled it off about 4 times in the 25 mins they were on stage!! I don't know how, because I went on after him, and almost took our singers head off with my bass, the stage is that small.

I'd learn how to do it, but I'd be too scared of losing a bass, I've seen it go wrong enough times too.

[quote name='arabassist' post='568813' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:23 AM']the last 20 secs is probably the only nice and audible bass part he's ever done[/quote]

If you think that's the only audible stuff he's done you need to listen harder. I never bought any of their albums apart from Infest, but that had him stamped all over it. He kept every tune together, and was definitely one of the best players in nu metal. He also had a great tone for that album too. They seem to have become an emo act these days, and I've far outgrown them, but Tobin could fairly play in that setting.

[quote name='MythSte' post='569206' date='Aug 14 2009, 04:44 PM']I have to fight Papa Roach's side here. I still have a massive soft spot for this sort of melodic aggressive soft metal. I dont know what it is, i think, well, I think it has [i]groove[/i]?[/quote]

Me too.

Seen him do it live years ago when I was a nipper. Not heard anything they have done in the last 5 years though but did enjoy that video.

[quote name='arabassist' post='568813' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:23 AM']the last 20 secs is probably the only nice and audible bass part he's ever done[/quote]
Try listening to 2:30 and tell me you can't hear those cool bass fills.

I actually rate this bass player. I haven't heard much of him but just from this song, I like his tone, his style and there's some cool little fills.

Edited by HMX

[quote name='HMX' post='572524' date='Aug 18 2009, 01:30 AM']Try listening to 2:30 and tell me you can't hear those cool bass fills.

I actually rate this bass player. I haven't heard much of him but just from this song, I like his tone, his style and there's some cool little fills.[/quote]

Couldnt agree more. I am not a fan either but respect where its due this Bassist knows how to fill that tune.

I get a feeling that the OP is just looking for a reaction now. Skin Colour, Fieldy, now a legitimate bass player criticised. I'm waiting on the Jaco/Wooten sucks thread from him any day now.

[quote name='The_D' post='572556' date='Aug 18 2009, 02:17 AM']I get a feeling that the OP is just looking for a reaction now. Skin Colour, Fieldy, now a legitimate bass player criticised. I'm waiting on the Jaco/Wooten sucks thread from him any day now.[/quote]
i think troll is the word you're looking for, and i agree.

This was the song that made me want to play bass, I asked my music teacher at the time "What's that big guitar called?" aaand it was also the first song I ever tabbed out and posted on the internet (MX tabs, remember that website?), just the extended bass outtro from a live show, my friend and I sat up all night trying to tab out those 5 notes lol. Ah good times :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHOzybwQWxo"]Oh found it on Youtube[/url]

Edited by Raving_camel

[quote name='thedonutman' post='569026' date='Aug 14 2009, 02:01 PM']Is it me or does this song have crazy amounts of low end? It might just be my speakers/Youtube's audio compression but it sounds a lot bassier than I remember.[/quote]

YouTube always has a boost effect on the bass, but to be fair, in the intro/chorus he's riding the low D's and C's.