Why become a member? ×

Finish for an ash body?

Mr.T

A couple of weeks ago, I stripped the paint from an Allparts ash body.
I have re-finished it with 'Colron Danish oil', but it came out too glossy and is still sticky... even after flatting off with a Scotchbrite pad.

I am now in the process of Nitromors'ing (made up word) it again.

I want a finish that is on the matt side of satin, similar to one of my Status basses.... natural looking.
I don't want to lacquer it!

Any specific suggestions as to what I could try next?

Thanks.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='568094' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:52 PM']french polish? it can take the piss to do though...[/quote]

Forgive my possible ignorance, but isn't french polish a high gloss finish?

I am looking for a finish that looks and feels natural.... like bare wood but with the colour of the grain brought out.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='568513' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:12 PM']Forgive my possible ignorance, but isn't french polish a high gloss finish?

I am looking for a finish that looks and feels natural.... like bare wood but with the colour of the grain brought out.[/quote]

Lacquer it - but instead of polishing, sand it down the grades to a matt satin finish. Easy.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='568542' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:45 PM']Lacquer it - but instead of polishing, sand it down the grades to a matt satin finish. Easy.[/quote]

I thought about lacquering it with 2-pack clear, then taking the gloss off.... but have in my mind something more natural looking.

I've used Tung Oil, first two coats cut in half with White Spirit.

The humidity at the time of oiling has a lot to do with how quickly it dries and if it feels sticky or not - and Tung oil likes to be rubbed in - plenty of elbow grease.

I did a body using 2 coats of diluted with plenty of rubbing of the first coat to get it in deep, then two coats of undiluted.

It takes a while to dry - 2 or 3 days - more if humidity is high, but once dry a going over with a buffer gave it a very nice sheen indeed.

G.

Hmmmm...

The instructions on the can of Colron Danish Oil I used didn't mention 'rubbing in'.
They said to to wipe it on.

I think I may have applied too much, and it just sat on the surface and remained sticky.

I've done a bit of on-line research, and it seems that Tung and Danish are best applied by rubbing in with wet and dry papers.... starting at 200 grit and working down to 600 grit.

It would have been easier to lacquer it... :)

[quote name='Raving_camel' post='568589' date='Aug 14 2009, 01:05 AM']Boiled linseed oil?[/quote]

I decided to go with the Linseed oil idea (£3.80 for 500ml from B&Q).

Just finished the first coat and it is looking sexy!
(Very smooth and matt, at the moment).

Gave it a good soak with the oil, keeping the finish wet for about 15 minutes by rubbing on more oil.
Then used kitchen towel to remove all of the wetness from the finish, followed by some gentle buffing.

I'll probably leave it overnight and repeat tomorrow, maybe using a scotchbrite pad to work the oil in with.

How many coats might I need?

[quote name='Mr.T' post='569931' date='Aug 15 2009, 02:15 PM']I decided to go with the Linseed oil idea (£3.80 for 500ml from B&Q).

Just finished the first coat and it is looking sexy!
(Very smooth and matt, at the moment).

Gave it a good soak with the oil, keeping the finish wet for about 15 minutes by rubbing on more oil.
Then used kitchen towel to remove all of the wetness from the finish, followed by some gentle buffing.

I'll probably leave it overnight and repeat tomorrow, maybe using a scotchbrite pad to work the oil in with.

How many coats might I need?[/quote]

Hey, how did it finish?

I'm still not convinced by my linseed finish at all.

[quote name='Raving_camel' post='573736' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:00 AM']Hey, how did it finish?

I'm still not convinced by my linseed finish at all.[/quote]

But it was you that suggested linseed oil????? :)

I have given it two coats, rubbed in well.
It looks exactly how I wanted it to.

What are you not convinced about?

good to hear ^
i'm wondering how warwick finish their natural basses... i know you have to wax them often, but they turn out very nice indeed. Personally i love the finish on my $$, you can tell that there's a finish there, but it's not glossy and you canj feel the grain through it :) (Yes i know not to wax a coloured 'wick finish, for any 'wick lovers reading)

Edited by budget bassist