Why become a member? ×

Physiological effects of bass playing

alexclaber

Or to put it another way, am I the only person on here whose right shoulder is much less flexible than his left due to years of bass playing? Try lying on the floor on your back with your arms straight and then bringing them over your head as though you're trying to stretch out as long as possible - my right arm really doesn't want to lie flat on the floor.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='568018' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:42 PM']Or to put it another way, am I the only person on here whose right shoulder is much less flexible than his left due to years of bass playing? Try lying on the floor on your back with your arms straight and then bringing them over your head as though you're trying to stretch out as long as possible - my right arm really doesn't want to lie flat on the floor.

Alex[/quote]

yeh my right shoulder has become hunched over and I have to constatly correct my posture because of it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='568022' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:44 PM']Deep massage and shiatsu treatment ... works for me. :)[/quote]

I've been going to a chiropracter for a while now (mainly due to the evils of deskjobs) and since I noticed this shoulder weirdness I've been on a yogic stretching mission to try to reduce the asymmetry. Will see how it goes - glad to know I'm not alone!

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

Well.. maybe. Both my shoulders are gimped up after being a fool and going to a gym for a while, but I certainly get a cricked neck on my left side more and having boney shoulders I can see the bone on the top across my left shoulder is less, uhm obvious, so I wonder if I have more tissue built up over it over the years.

But I think I may have more psychological effects to be honest! :)

Edited by Marky L

[quote name='alexclaber' post='568018' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:42 PM']....Physiological effects of bass playing....[/quote]
You mean apart from the constant ringing, bad knees, back, shoulder, neck, wrists and wallet? Nope, doing fine!

I took up playing bass again to help iron my hand out after an accident - so I've already started from the basis that I'm knackered anyway!

I broke my right arm twice across the forearm, and once over the elbow. This did the nerves no favours, which were already damaged from break in the hand - which broke two bones and pushed my knuckle to my wrist.

I view any pain in the arm as a healthy glow - we're back in business! :)

As for the shoulder. Laptop bag, man bag/briefcase, luggage, suitcarrier, golf clubs, kayak gear... the bass is only one small element of that abuse.

I do read about a lot of injuries to peoples' backs, from long-term playing.

In my case it's not from the weight of the bass (which is on my left shoulder) but from the right shoulder having to hold the arm up when playing fingerstyle, slapping or strumming. Not knackered but stronger - but as a result inflexible which means more prone to potential injury.

Alex

there was a three part article on Alex-ander technique and bass playing in BGM's last three issues.
It's a good read but a real life Alexander technique teacher would be a good place to go too. They work with musicians a lot and understand stuff about what we do that sports people don't.

I also had a bunch of physio for tingling right forearm and fingers when I switched to fingerstyle and that was cured by standing up straight and pulling my shoulders back, "opening" my chest and shoulders. I have to do this every 45 mins or so when rehearsing and before an after performances (or during if I remember :)) Working well so far.

Talking to my shiatsu lady (Branka) earlier this week, she was telling me that I should do warm-up stretches & exercises before playing, just as if I was playing football.

I asked her what she had in mind, and she said at least 20 minutes of upper body work. When I looked surprised (astonished would be nearer the mark) she mentioned that another of her clients is the bass player for Billy Ocean and the entire band does a 20-minute exercise regime before every practice and every show.

:)

Hmmm..... I'm having a lot of problems with my LEFT shoulder, which is twisted forwards and inwards. I'm a right handed player, so this seems to go against what people have mentioned so far.

I do, however, have a wasted LEFT deltoid (due to a sublocated collar bone) and a series of numb spots around my upper left arm/shoulder and neck (ARABASSIST do you have these too?). Also, I seem to be suffering quite badly (i.e. daily) from a sore/cramped left forearm/wrist.

I am a physiologist, what I think the title calls for is a physiotherapist. However, as I understand it, everything (eventually) attaches to the spine, so I would recommend a consultation with a chiropractor for any niggles which refuse to go away. I recently chatted with Stu Hamm about such problems and he recommended the same. Unfortunately, there is usually so many things wrong with everybody, so a consultation might be quite a depressing experience (I for one was called Quosimodo and told that my neck was twisted, because my shoulder was twisted, because my spine was bent, because my hips were twisted, because I walk strangely - and changing all these things seems like an impossible task!!)

From what I have heard, a series of warm up exercises AND COOL DOWN exercises for you're shoulders ALEXCLABER would go along way

I'm sure proper hand positioning/technique and strap lengths also apply.

Anyone have a stretching routine which they have found to have helped?

I'm not sure if this is from biking, but does anyone else have a hard spot of skin on your index finger on your left hand from when it's constantly been scraping up and down the fingerboard. I don't mean on the tip, I mean on the first 'segment' of the finger (if you gt what I mean).

no? just me, then.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='568076' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:33 PM']In my case it's not from the weight of the bass (which is on my left shoulder) but from the right shoulder having to hold the arm up when playing fingerstyle, slapping or strumming. Not knackered but stronger - but as a result inflexible which means more prone to potential injury.

Alex[/quote]

Alex, I've pretty much had to give up fingerstyle (unless playing by my knees which doesn't work for me) for exactly that reason. If I lift my arm it sets my upper back off, my neck prolapse off, everything. Then I can't move my arm properly for days. I'm so glad I originally learnt to play with a pick or I'd be stuffed.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='569385' date='Aug 14 2009, 07:14 PM']I'm not sure if this is from biking, but does anyone else have a hard spot of skin on your index finger on your left hand from when it's constantly been scraping up and down the fingerboard. I don't mean on the tip, I mean on the first 'segment' of the finger (if you gt what I mean).

no? just me, then.[/quote]
I have the same thing.

My left shoulder is pretty screwed from multiple dislocations, I had surgery on it about 3 months ago, and it seems sorted, only thing is I lost a lot of muscle on it (used to work helping a brick layer and do 150 push ups a day before I screwed it) so I have one bony shoulder, where my strap goes. Hoping the physio will consider bass playing when they are giving me excercises and such, but it all seems rather generic. I did notice the fingers of my left hand spread furhther than those of my right also. Also, there is no way I can read braille.except with the ring finger of my right hand (I chew my pinky).