Why become a member? ×

Loose Cable

Pissman

Hey..

Got abit of a problem in that the cable keeps falling out of my bass (Yammy RBX if that helps) and not sure how to fix it..

Not problem with the cable as I've tried several. It just falls out at the slightest touch now.

Any ideas? (sorry if this is a stupid question :))

Thanks.

It's the socket in the bass.

If it's passive (no batteries) then just open it up and take a look at the socket connection that mates with the tip on the plug - it probably just needs bending over slightly to keep a firmer grip. Alternatively just replace it with a new one (if you have a soldering iron).

If you have an active bass, it might be more problematic, as the sockets are usually enclosed - you can't really get to the tip connection and would have to replace the entire socket.

(Beaten to it :) )

Edited by Stewart

Are you using those planet wave jacks by any chance (the one with the expanded bit on the jack) - if you are, don't! This is what happens!

Take a look inside - if the contacts are exposed, you will be able to bend it back to position but be warned, it's likely to go again. Replace it when you can with a better quality component with stronger metal to grip the jack.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='567971' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:09 PM']Are you using those planet wave jacks by any chance (the one with the expanded bit on the jack) - if you are, don't! This is what happens!

Take a look inside - if the contacts are exposed, you will be able to bend it back to position but be warned, it's likely to go again. Replace it when you can with a better quality component with stronger metal to grip the jack.[/quote]

+1 on the planet waves. great Idea, but knackered my RBX.

Unfortunately the jack on my RBX (375) was a sealed unit buried in the woodwork. I managed to get it out with a pair of tweezers and needle nosed pliers, but then had to get a replacement through a local shop because I couldn't get to the contacts without destroying the unit. :)

if you can get the socket out and it has some slack in the wires...
put the cable into the socket and watch what happens
the socket should have a prong pointing inwards to hold the cable...
as explained earlier this can be slightly bent inwards till it makes good spring contact
if its past its best or fractured etc
replace the jack socket
some sockets can be difficult to extract and on your yamaha you may have to go inside the electrics compartment to disconnect it

check this link for similar problem

[url="http://www.musicgearreview.com/reviews.php?man=Yamaha&cat=Bass_Guitars&mod=RBX%20270"]loose yamaha socket[/url]