Why become a member? ×

OLP Basses & what is GAS?

gilmour

I once saw a 'real' Stingray and an OLP hanging next to each other in a shop. The differences were immediately and shockingly obvious - chief of which was the thickness of the body. The Stingray's body was half as thick again as that of the OLP.

If you're looking for a Sub, this one's just popped up on eBay. Looks like it's in nice condition, too: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MusicMan-Sub-Bass-4-String-Burgundy_W0QQitemZ160158005831QQihZ006QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]eBay listing[/url]

...or there's an even nicer graphite-finish one from Road Dog, one of our very own BC members (so you can bet he'll be a decent bloke and it'll have been looked after :) ) [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320159466747"]Road Dog's eBay listing[/url]

Edited by Oxblood

Regarding the Tony Levin Sig - I have one, and although it doesn´t get much playing time these days (I prefer 4 strings), it´s a cracking bass for the money. Mine is the natural finish/maple board version, and it sounds good, feels good and has a really nice neck. I filed down two protruding fret ends, but other than that, the fret job is great.

Tony Levin himself wanted the Signature to be an OLP so more people could afford it. And yes, he does use it occasionally (on his latest CD, for instance).

Not long ago I tried an OLP 4-string - as it happens, in the exact same finish as my TL - and I liked it a lot. Very growly, funky sound, well made too. I almost bought it because my wife would have never noticed there was a new bass in the house. :)