Why become a member? ×

OLP Basses & what is GAS?

gilmour

Sorry I have a reall Nooby question - What does GAS stand for? I see it all the time here, I think it's something to do with wanting to buy new kit?

Also slightly less nooby. What sort of quality is the OLP kit, I've seen some fiarly decent looking OLP stingray 5's. DO they even begin to compare to the real MM?

[quote name='gilmour' post='60429' date='Sep 14 2007, 03:08 PM']Sorry I have a reall Nooby question - What does GAS stand for? I see it all the time here, I think it's something to do with wanting to buy new kit?

Also slightly less nooby. What sort of quality is the OLP kit, I've seen some fiarly decent looking OLP stingray 5's. DO they even begin to compare to the real MM?[/quote]
I play one - it's revolting to look at but that's just the colour and all the frets were falling out when i got it which was a pain but not a common complaint I hear. It has a very punchy powerful output I can't begin to play this at full volume without a growl which some like - i don't. great versatility of sound, plays well and looks like a stingray... but. I will one day buy a stingray 5 and replace it.
Now I'm the last person you'd call a gear snob, happily own and use a bit of Behringer kit because frankly it's loads better than most people think and very reasonably priced and if this was as good as a 'ray I'd stick with it. But compared with my stingray 4 it's just not quite there. Hard to put your finger on it but it's somehow a blunter object, harder around the edges in an almost indefinable way.
When you hold a 'Ray you go mmmmmm when you hold an OLP you go mm hmm. Not bad at all but not great.
Watch out where sub's are concerned I've seen them going for silly prices. People making a deal of the fact that they're not made any more so are collectable. I saw a second hand one on the bay for more than I paid for my second hand stingray!

Hey thanks all.

I've been tempted to go for a MM for years now, I was kind of hoping that the OLP would be a cheap alernative but it doesn;t sound like t would be value for money.

THere was a really nice retor looking SUB 5 on here a few weeks back, but I think it;s gone now.

If anyone sees any nice MM 5 Strings give me a shout.

Thanks

PS it think I have GAS (now that I know what it is lol)

I certainly didn't mean to imply they aren't value for money - there's a couple of stingray 5's on the bay and I could have bought 4 of my olp's for the same money! This is a great bass to try and see if you get on with a five and like the stingray shape.

Edited by stewblack

[quote name='gilmour' post='60429' date='Sep 14 2007, 03:08 PM']Sorry I have a reall Nooby question - What does GAS stand for? I see it all the time here, I think it's something to do with wanting to buy new kit?

Also slightly less nooby. What sort of quality is the OLP kit, I've seen some fiarly decent looking OLP stingray 5's. DO they even begin to compare to the real MM?[/quote]
Yes.

No.

I've also heard Gear Avarice Syndrome being used as the meaning of GAS.

As for the OLPs - I've been wondering about those too. There is a Tony Levin Signature OLP (MM 5), so if they're rubbish, maybe we ought to let him know..? :)

I have peds old OLP and although the sound lacks a little bit it is the most comfortable bass I have ever played - it just feels right so I tend to pick it up for noodling on. For some reason it records well and can hold up to a lot of effecting if you know what I meant! Doesn't lose it's character and tracks better on synths than my jazz.. mind you that's likely to be quite a personal thing.

Definitely good value though :)

[quote name='bnt' post='60618' date='Sep 14 2007, 09:27 PM']I've also heard Gear Avarice Syndrome being used as the meaning of GAS.

As for the OLPs - I've been wondering about those too. There is a Tony Levin Signature OLP (MM 5), so if they're rubbish, maybe we ought to let him know..? :)[/quote]

What does Avarice mean?

I always thought it was Guitar Aquisition Syndrome, and we only said that because BAS (bass aquisition syndrome) sounds stupid.

[quote name='bnt' post='60618' date='Sep 14 2007, 09:27 PM']As for the OLPs - I've been wondering about those too. There is a Tony Levin Signature OLP (MM 5), so if they're rubbish, maybe we ought to let him know..? :)[/quote]
No one said they were rubbish - just not as good as a real one. Does Tony Levin actually use his OLP? To quote Jake Blues - No f***ing way.

One of my pupils has the OLP MM2 (black 4-stringer). It's a nice enough bass for the money, but I had a play on the natural Tony Levin 5-stringer & it was a nicely made instrument, active, etc, but the string spacing would suit a g*****ist more than a bass player. Feels as if they tried to fit 5 strings into the space of four. Good output from the preamp, though :)

MB1. :)

Most people have had nothing but praise for the Tony Levin 5 active (including bass guitarist magazine).They do look quite well made definately worth a look if only as a cheap back up.I was told the quality of these basses was beginning to worry musicman,the TL5 being the bass in question.

I played a Levin 5 at a gig about a year ago and thought it was very good, then when I found out how much the guy paid for it I thought it was really brilliant. If you can live with the colour and the string spacing suits you, go for one.

[i]Avarice [/i]is one of the Seven Deadly Sins, and, like [i]Gluttony[/i], is basically a form of greed

It appertains to the collection of material wealth, whereas Gluttony refers to the consumption of food.

With regard to the OLP withstanding "overuse" of effects, it seems to be a characteristic of single pick-up instruments.
They're often more "focused" sounding, at the expense of tonal variety, and this seems to cut through a lot of phase/modulation effects.

I'm surprised that Ernie Ball / OLP didn't use a higher spec model (Sub or MM) as the Levin signature, or at least push the boat out a bit on the QC front.