Why become a member? ×

Wedding Gigs

Pete Academy

[quote name='teej' post='567665' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:20 AM']You don't [i]have to[/i] learn songs for them. We never do. But maybe that's easier if your set is in a specific genre (especially a 'retro' one) and not a selection of hits from all different genres/eras.[/quote]

You do if its written in the contract ;-)
We offer to learn a first dance and up to two other songs if possible. They are normally crap songs but not hard so its no big deal really.

We play loads of weddings and I find that the audience response depends very little on the performance of the band or the set list. We play the same set most times and the same tune at two different gigs can have completely opposite effects - full dance floor or empty one. This depends on a lot of things that are out of your control e.g. how late it is, how long the day has been, how light/dark it is, whether it is hot or cold, the size or shape of the room. What is of no relevance in determining how successful the evening is are your string guage, whether you nut is wood or graphite and whether you know theory or not :) !

I'm looking for a band for my wedding! Maybe I should save my pennies, with some cunning DIY? :)

You're always going to lose the first set. It's not a gig, it's a wedding - and the couple and proceedings will be getting the attention, not the band. That's just something you have to face, having been there.

If you're on again later, that's when you'll have some fun. People should be fed and watered (liberally!) by then, and looking for the music.

I'm hoping, whoever we hire, might let me on for a token disco number... sobriety providing!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='567676' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:35 AM']What is of no relevance in determining how successful the evening is are your string guage, whether you nut is wood or graphite and whether you know theory or not :) ![/quote]

Im not sure i agree. I find a boutique bass will always fill the dance floor, after all, it cost lots more money than a cheap Fender etc so it must be magic :rolleyes:

ha ha..love weddings..well, sort of...

Max money and the schedule always over runs..

we just put on background stuff until they have finished the sit-down and have had a few drinks.
Get them dancing and before you know it, the gig is finished and you have earnt well for less work..

It is a money gig to me, so not so fussed otherwise..

I've played wedding gigs for years and yes, some of them are hard work but so long as you have a list of songs that cater for all then generally it's a pretty good night. Some nights it's fast all night, some it's 2 fast, 2 slow. Others it's more ceilidh, other's its mostly modern. You can't pickup over a grand for a wedding and expect to play "your" songs. I think so long as you remember that, then wedding gigs are fine. If your not willing to do that, then IMO you shouldn't really be playing weddings and should be sticking to pub gigs.

[quote name='largo' post='567707' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:53 AM']I've played wedding gigs for years and yes, some of them are hard work but so long as you have a list of songs that cater for all then generally it's a pretty good night. Some nights it's fast all night, some it's 2 fast, 2 slow. Others it's more ceilidh, other's its mostly modern. You can't pickup over a grand for a wedding and expect to play "your" songs. I think so long as you remember that, then wedding gigs are fine. If your not willing to do that, then IMO you shouldn't really be playing weddings and should be sticking to pub gigs.[/quote]

when you say 'your songs' I presume you mean original's..... that's a no no pretty much.

I don't have the patience / tolerance to do the schmoozing with the bride / groom and / or their parents. The guy who runs the band will try and steer them in the right direction with regards to timings and choice of material. Based on the number of functions we've done, generally we know best but you do get the odd one where they have been on the phone dozens of times in the run up and are adamant they know best. Ultimately its their night and the customer is always right :) I think one couple printed off the set list and proceeded to cross off the songs they didn't want (without thinking what the guests would like). Decimated it. I think we had 5 songs left. We've also had examples of blowing peoples heads off at 8:00 when they are still on the sweet course.

I've had my fill of function work and will be packing it in at the end of this year. That said, when you compare the venues, people and food to the north east (or any for that matter ) club circuit, functions bands have a lot going for them!

[quote name='JD1' post='567726' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:05 AM']I don't have the patience / tolerance to do the schmoozing with the bride / groom and / or their parents. The guy who runs the band will try and steer them in the right direction with regards to timings and choice of material. Based on the number of functions we've done, generally we know best but you do get the odd one where they have been on the phone dozens of times in the run up and are adamant they know best. Ultimately its their night and the customer is always right :) I think one couple printed off the set list and proceeded to cross off the songs they didn't want (without thinking what the guests would like). Decimated it. I think we had 5 songs left. We've also had examples of blowing peoples heads off at 8:00 when they are still on the sweet course.

I've had my fill of function work and will be packing it in at the end of this year. That said, when you compare the venues, people and food to the north east (or any for that matter ) club circuit, functions bands have a lot going for them![/quote]

+1000

[quote name='largo' post='567707' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:53 AM']I've played wedding gigs for years and yes, some of them are hard work but so long as you have a list of songs that cater for all then generally it's a pretty good night. Some nights it's fast all night, some it's 2 fast, 2 slow. Others it's more ceilidh, other's its mostly modern. You can't pickup over a grand for a wedding and expect to play "your" songs. I think so long as you remember that, then wedding gigs are fine. If your not willing to do that, then IMO you shouldn't really be playing weddings and should be sticking to pub gigs.[/quote]
If people book Red Jackson having seen our show in the street, it's because that's what they want, and what they expect to hear: to start playing modern stuff or ceilidh would be total madness. Just because an approach works for you doesn't mean it's a hard and fast rule (which, of course, includes our approach).

As professional street performers we are experts at catering to all ages/backgrounds - not only do we have to be to make a living, we're in an excellent position to see what works and what doesn't (is this new song drawing a crowd and making any money, or not?). And we do that within a narrow range of related genres mainly from '40s and '50s, not with a live jukebox approach.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='567681' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:38 AM']I'm looking for a band for my wedding! Maybe I should save my pennies, with some cunning DIY? :lol:[/quote]

Ha ha.. not a good idea.. You'll be too busy talking to Aunt Doris and catching up on family goss, accepting drinks from everyone and preparing to loose your virginity* ... etc
[quote]I'm hoping, whoever we hire, might let me on for a token disco number... sobriety providing![/quote]

Much better idea :)

My band played 3 numbers at our wedding but we hired in another band to do the rest of the evening. I wanted to do the groom things and my band wanted to be guests and dance with their wives for a change :rolleyes:

* :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='567663' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:18 AM']A lot of the weddings we do have a free bar, so lots of drunk women, and its nice to see them enjoying themselves. Especially when doing it with their mates 5 ft in front of us :)[/quote]

Right, I retract my previous thread. Women, free beer, sold to the numpty with the 4 string thing!

Jez

[quote name='leschirons' post='567650' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:10 AM']And don't you just love that really optimistic " The meal will be finished at 8 p.m. sharp and the speeches will be finished by 8.30. Yeah right. I've done a few where we've started playing at 11.30 p.m. after the bride and groom had already pissed off.[/quote]

When we get a wedding enquiry (even if we are not available) I send out a whole list of "wedding tips" including these two:

- The [url="http://www.jellied-reels.co.uk"]Jellied Reels Rocky Barn Dance Band's[/url] Top Tip for a stress-reduced wedding day? Leave about twice as much time between everything as you think you'll need and about 3 times as much time for the speeches. This allows for all those things your guests will do like getting lost, getting a crafty smoke, catching up on the family goss, txtng m8s, nattering and dealing with kids' emergencies. Having plenty of time in the day is a nice situation. Too little can really add to your stress - and no one wants that.
---------------
- Remember to plan some time during the day when you can get some time together (alone!) Say a clothes change or something like that. You'll be busy every minute of the day apart from that so you need some special time built into your schedule

Obviously the first one is about selfishly ensuring things go to time and making sure the band isn't sat in the car park for 2 hours waiting to load in followed by a massive rush to get set up
The second one because between us we've been married a lot, and done hundreds of wedding gigs and we know that sometimes by the end of an incredibly busy day with lots of booze the B&G will just be too, er, tired. Iyt also govees them a chance to just catch their breath and remember what the day is really about.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='567806' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:39 AM']Right, I retract my previous thread. Women, free beer, sold to the numpty with the 4 string thing!

Jez[/quote]

And the downside is of course, we cant hammer the bar as we are playing/driving etc.
Its a cruel world but at least we get to eye up a load of drunk birds without getting smacked in the face.

First wedding gig after a bit of a quiet patch a couple of weeks ago, not least because our singer broke his leg.

So, we loaded-up Ironside onto the stage in his wheelchair, wondering if it was all going to hang together.

Best gig in ages! An up-for-it crowd from the off. Plenty of good breeding on display and some GAS money in my back pocket at the end of the night.

Indeed, what's not to like?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='567862' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:32 PM']And the downside is of course, we cant hammer the bar as we are playing/driving etc.
Its a cruel world but at least we get to eye up a load of drunk birds without getting smacked in the face.[/quote]

Wedding Gig Rule 6b: Don't pull the woman in the big white pavlova of a dress, no matter how "friendly" she appears to be ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Stag' post='567206' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:40 PM']Ive been in this situation before - it tends to be the bride and groom that want you there (and usually book you), and no one else could give a toss if you were there or not. Easy money but kinda soul-sapping...[/quote]

+1, not a lot more you can say, really...

[quote name='Telebass' post='568314' date='Aug 13 2009, 07:19 PM']+1, not a lot more you can say, really...[/quote]

Speak for yourself.

We are nearly always pestered during our breaks by guests asking when we are going back on, asking for requests and telling us how much they are enjoying the band. This to me doesn't seem like we are being ignored or not wanted.
In fact i cant think of any recent wedding or function we have done (both bands) where we have been ignored.

Yes, a disco will probably go down just as well sometimes but in my experience people are very pleased to have a live band.

The trick is not to go looking for those gigs....

I only tend to do weddings for people I know, now...or friends of friends

If it is Deps or full-on functions we call together a band that can handle that easily.. and the hassle is
akin to the money...

Otherwise, it is a Blue Bros type set with Horns, nice venue, looked after, and don't take the pee...#
And the women are all dressed up and goona look as good as they ever can.. :)

and don't crack-on with the payer's stilton and wine-cellar...no, no, no...

I occasionally play with a band where one member (a starvin' pro muso) takes Tupperware to take home some of the wedding food. She occasionally plays three gigs on a weekend and lives on buffet food for days :)

Edited by OldGit

I tend to stay away from weddings AND corporate functions purely because they seem to be predominately people who aren't interested in live music. Good money, certainly but I'd rather earn less and play to a more receptive crowd. Fair play to those who play them but I give them a miss. It'd have to be a very special friend for me to play his / her wedding!

[quote name='OldGit' post='568458' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:04 PM']I occasionally play with a band where one member (a starvin' pro muso) takes Tupperware to take home some of the wedding food. She occasionally plays three gigs on a weekend and lives on buffet food for days :)[/quote]
She must know our drummer, although he will also gaffer the end of some non-finished wine bottles and take those if possible if discrete.