Why become a member? ×

GB Rumour query

Gunsfreddy2003

A question for all GB Rumour or Spitfire owners - has anyone suffered from a distorted tone when you crank the bass control up to full on the bass? I have noticed that if I have the bass control on 3/4 to full I get a really nasty farting/distorted tone!

I have found this through my rig but also through Mark Bass and Gallien Kruger amps that have been supplied as back line at some festivals that I have played at recently. If you dig in a bit on the strings it gets even worse!

I have changed the batteries too and it has not made any difference at all.

Any help/advice from other GB users would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='565424' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:28 PM']A question for all GB Rumour or Spitfire owners - has anyone suffered from a distorted tone when you crank the bass control up to full on the bass? I have noticed that if I have the bass control on 3/4 to full I get a really nasty farting/distorted tone!

I have found this through my rig but also through Mark Bass and Gallien Kruger amps that have been supplied as back line at some festivals that I have played at recently. If you dig in a bit on the strings it gets even worse!

I have changed the batteries too and it has not made any difference at all.

Any help/advice from other GB users would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

You'll have a PM... when I've written it!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='567757' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:48 AM']You're probably just running out of headroom on the input stages of the amps you're using and thus clipping their preamps. The amount of boost you can get from the active controls on a GB is quite scary.

Alex[/quote]

Wrong! It's the output of the pickups being too great for the circuit. Need to reduce the gain in the circuit. Simple job - one resistor.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='567962' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:02 PM']Wrong! It's the output of the pickups being too great for the circuit. Need to reduce the gain in the circuit. Simple job - one resistor.[/quote]

Well I'd have thought with a circuit board that huge it would at least have enough headroom to handle a hot pickup! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='569479' date='Aug 14 2009, 08:44 PM']Well I'd have thought with a circuit board that huge it would at least have enough headroom to handle a hot pickup! :)

Alex[/quote]

Its not a hot pickup. Quite the opposite. Go back to your area of expertise :rolleyes: