Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky v Celinder

BarnacleBob

Apologies if this is similair to Chrisdabass' thread on Fender GAS but wondering on how Sadowskys compare to Celinders
if anyone has managed to A/B any models.
Also like alot of people I think it would be cool to have an original 60s Jazz or P but how many are that good to justify the price? Are u paying for the 'mojo' and the fact they aint making genuine 60s ones anymore?

I will admit to being a bass snob (or should that be knob?) so not keen on RIs or even new custom shop, possibly to my own regret.

The thought is really driven by the Desert Island Bass theory from an earlier thread or one bass to rule them all etc..

I only play for me own pleasure now (oo-er) and occasionally think I would like to have just one bass.

Something to noodle about with on a Sunday afternoon til the gravy goes lumpy.

BB

I'm probably the only person on basschat who owns both. There's little if anything between them. They're very different but when you get to this level there's really nothing "better" - just choice. Sadowsky feels very clinical and precise, Celinder feels like the handmade one off that it is. If anything I like the Celinder slightly better, but I can't put my finger on why.

Here are mine:

Edited by Toasted

I have owned both and completely agree with Joe's post above. There is no better just what may be best for you.
If you are looking for the early 60's vibe and considering spending a lot of cash give consideration to Alleva Coppolo as well - It cured my GAS for a couple of months :-)
Also all of the Fender Custom shop instruments I have played have all been wonderful basses!

Steve

On looks I think the Celinder wins out just.
How does the body size and weight compare to a Fender J?
I also suspected the Celinder had that individual boutique made feel (I think Chris works on his own doesnt he?) and the shops seem to be full of new Sadowsky NYCs and Metros recently.

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='564467' date='Aug 9 2009, 09:12 PM']and the shops seem to be full of new Sadowsky NYCs and Metros recently.

BB[/quote]
Which shops? I thought NYC Sadowskys could only be bought direct.

Edited by RayFW

[quote name='RayFW' post='564846' date='Aug 10 2009, 12:09 PM']Which shops? I thought NYC Sadowskys could only be bought direct.[/quote]

Sorry. you're probably right, make that Metros and UVs and stuff of which GuitarGuitar have 13!

Bet you got all excited there! Am I bad? :rolleyes:

Anyway my point being u cant wander into a shop and buy a new Celinder or a Wal or even a Status or of course a new NYC
you can see where I'm going with this. See, told you i was a snob when it comes to basses :)

BB

Edited by BarnacleBob

Nothing wrong with that.

In answer to your question: The Celinder is more of a "dinky J" body. They vary wildly in weight, apparently. Some of the 5 strings are reportedly up to 11/12/13lbs (which is too f***ing heavy for a £3000 bass). I got lucky, my J-Update 4 is a shade over 8lbs.

If you want to order a Celinder I'd do it with The Bass Gallery. Martin Petersen and Chris Celinder are friends, and I got my bass very quickly with minimum fuss.

If the weight is a big deal to you then I'd explain it over and over again to whoever you order through. You can't take a chance. I'm not sure I'd order another one unless I could get a guaranteed weight from Celinder.

[quote name='Russ' post='566462' date='Aug 12 2009, 05:10 AM']In my experience, Celinders "feel" nicer, but Sadowskys sound better. I love the necks on Celinders - they have that awesome broken-in feel.

Joe - I am so jealous of that M5-24. :)[/quote]

Each to their own! I think Celinder's sound better than the Sadowsky's circuit... but it all depends what has been put in each bass I guess! Id go for a Celinder over a Sadowsky. Celinder's just feel nicer in my opinion.

My choice would be an Alleva (based on playing birdy's) over both. But all are great instruments in their own right. When you get to this level, it's not a case of which is better... just preference. (but then again, I am a fussy so and so who plays with an action so low, it can't be got on most basses)

Edited by EBS_freak