Why become a member? ×

Carvin heads

fede162162

Carvin is very famous in USA,but in my country,Italy, nobody knows Carvin! what's the situacion in UK!? i have a 1991 pb300 head by carvin, has somebody a carvin head? what do you think about it?do you like?dislike? tell me something about Carvin please! i'm thinking to sell my carvin head,but i don't now what's a fair price for this head,i don't have an idea! do can you help me?!

Edited by fede162162

So far as I know Carvin arent that well known here in the UK either. All I can tell you is that Steve Vai had a signature head and cab(s) and thats about it. Only experience of Carvin Ive ever had was at college when they had the odd keyboard amp which got used for guitars and unsurprisingly they didnt sound so good.
Sorry, thats of no help whatsoever but I dont think there's gonna be many who have used Carvin. I could be wrong...
Andy

I have this for sale [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3725&hl=carvin+marleaux"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...carvin+marleaux[/url] it is an absolutely fantastic bass. There are some sound clips on the advert. I haven't tried the heads but they look good value - the only opinion I have heard was on this site where someone said they were a bit lifeless but who knows, each to their own and all that. If you like it, brill.

As with all things reviewed you have to look deeper but I will say that I've read several reports of Carvin amplification having major reliability issues!

Balance the number of units sold against the frequency of failures and decide for yourself but I have to say when I researched the brand I decided to play safe and steer clear.

Extremely good prices in the USA due to direct sales. Add import, distribution and retail costs in Europe and they're no longer such a bargain. Also the old Redline heads had an annoying non-defeatable preshape built-in - the newer B Series heads are far better. Anyone in the US wanting a new bass rig has to consider a B1500 plus an LS1503 or two - ridiculously good bang for the buck!

Alex

A lot of reviews make out their gear to be pretty mediocre - lots of 6s and 7s. From the clips I've heard, I've never been overly impressed with their guitars. Except for the [url="http://www.edfriedland.com/equip.htm"]piccolo bass on Ed Friedland's site. [/url]

I've heard reliability issues with some of the heads as well.

On the plus note, I can't think of many (if any) other manufacturers that make a smart looking cab/combo for reasonable money.