Why become a member? ×

EBS TD650

thedontcarebear

I must sound my appreciation for this amp, I borrowed Geoff's tonight for a gig along with his Ampeg cab, and it's the first time in a long long long time I've heard myself on stage properly (and therefore been able to play spot on, well, mainly spot on!!)

If I get my broken Eden refund sorted, I may have to find me one of these!

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='562369' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:00 PM']I must sound my appreciation for this amp, I borrowed Geoff's tonight for a gig along with his Ampeg cab, and it's the first time in a long long long time I've heard myself on stage properly (and therefore been able to play spot on, well, mainly spot on!!)

If I get my broken Eden refund sorted, I may have to find me one of these![/quote]

Oh yes! Another that has seen the light!

[quote name='Geoff' post='562562' date='Aug 7 2009, 09:21 AM']Nice playing by the way, that funky number near the end of the set was really good.[/quote]

That's my favourite, I wrote that because I wanted to start a funk band called Bicycle helmet, but ended up using it in Stringfinger, haha.

Cheers for coming and for the amp mofo!

The TD650 is a kick-ass amp, tried it once at a gig with the Proline 4x10 and was very impressed. I ended up getting a Fafner in the end but only because I thought I didn't need the extra features of the 650. That said the Fafner II, with all its new bells and whistles, has got me quite excited!

I think the Fafner is more 'tube' sounding and possibly has a slightly grittier sound from what I can work out.

Get a Fafner and if you dont like the sound i'll swap it with my TD650 haha. I was really torn between the Fafner and the TD650 and went for the 650 as it seemed like it was more versatile.

[quote name='Geoff' post='562877' date='Aug 7 2009, 04:14 PM']I think the Fafner is more 'tube' sounding and possibly has a slightly grittier sound from what I can work out.

Get a Fafner and if you dont like the sound i'll swap it with my TD650 haha. I was really torn between the Fafner and the TD650 and went for the 650 as it seemed like it was more versatile.[/quote]

Well if I do get the refund sorted, I think that I will get an EBS, so maybe I shall get the fafner! I saw the GB website listed a limited gold one, haha. Let's just hope that paypal give me the cash back!

My cab is here too, so if you ever want to rock 2 cabs to look awesome you can borrow it! If Middenhelm ever do a video, you must do this.

Edited by thedontcarebear

[quote name='Geoff' post='562877' date='Aug 7 2009, 04:14 PM']I think the Fafner is more 'tube' sounding and possibly has a slightly grittier sound from what I can work out.

Get a Fafner and if you dont like the sound i'll swap it with my TD650 haha. I was really torn between the Fafner and the TD650 and went for the 650 as it seemed like it was more versatile.[/quote]

Yeah, I would agree that the Fafner is a bit more grittier sounding and a bit dirtier, but not by all that much really. I think you can just about dial in the same kind of sound on the TD 650, but as the Fafner [i]looks[/i] more like a rock head, the difference in sound appears greater than it actually is. That last sentence didn't make much sense sorry! Anyway, lots of HiFi sounding slap guys have used the Fafner too though, so it is pretty versatile as well, though probably not as much as the 650.

But for me, both heads sound great, the Fafner has the looks and a (slightly) grittier sound and the 650 has the features and versatility. I don't need the features though and couldn't be happier with the Fafner!

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='562945' date='Aug 7 2009, 05:53 PM']My cab is here too, so if you ever want to rock 2 cabs to look awesome you can borrow it! If Middenhelm ever do a video, you must do this.[/quote]

I may just have to do that for practise, so I can destroy Chris' ears when he overplays on the keys!

[quote name='thodrik' post='563494' date='Aug 8 2009, 02:31 PM']Yeah, I would agree that the Fafner is a bit more grittier sounding and a bit dirtier, but not by all that much really. I think you can just about dial in the same kind of sound on the TD 650, but as the Fafner [i]looks[/i] more like a rock head, the difference in sound appears greater than it actually is. That last sentence didn't make much sense sorry! Anyway, lots of HiFi sounding slap guys have used the Fafner too though, so it is pretty versatile as well, though probably not as much as the 650.

But for me, both heads sound great, the Fafner has the looks and a (slightly) grittier sound and the 650 has the features and versatility. I don't need the features though and couldn't be happier with the Fafner![/quote]

Yeah I have to say that the Fafner looks awesome. Im surprised that Amon Amarth dont use that head, as it has the viking runes on it.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='568467' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:18 PM']I am getting an Aguilar instead, which if I don't love, will probably be back up here for sale in a few months when I've saved more for an EBS! But hopefully, the Aguilar will be equally as awesome.[/quote]

Not saying anything...