Why become a member? ×

Westbury Track 2 Resuscitation

Bassassin

Thought you might be interested in what dropped through the letterbox this morning. I've been vaguely looking out for a Westbury Track 2 or Track IV for a good few years - they're not exactly common & when they come up on Ebay the JapCrap vultures tend to push the prices well into that 3-figure stratosphere, where my Pikey Powers desert me, and I cannot not go.

However, last week I managed to snag a Track 2 project for £52, and this is what I got:

[attachment=30245:trackfront.jpg] [attachment=30246:trackback.jpg] [attachment=30247:trackbridge.jpg]

The bad news is all very apparent from the pics - particularly the bridge, which appears to be made from plasticene. The good news is that the important bits are fine - the neck is dead straight, truss rod works and the frets are in excellent condition with very little wear, no splits or cracks. I was a little concerned that the pickup might be a dud, after the Ebay seller claimed it "just buzzed", but it turns out that the phase switch it had originally is missing & somebody appears to have attempted to re-wire it using the power of guesswork! A quick bit of reconnecting shows that the pickup, a vintage PAF-stickered DiMarzio, is reading a very healthy 11.5k.

I'm not sure what to do about the bridge - obviously that piece of bent rubbish is useless, and my first impulse is to just forget it, fill the little route under it with a block of wood & fit a more conventional type - I have several suitable bridges in my parts box. But the other option is a Hipshot Supertone - they look the business, adjust in 54 different directions, and should just bolt straight on. However, they cost a fortune & seem to be pretty much unavailable in the UK. I'd also need to confirm that my JapCrap plasticene 3-point has interchangeable dimensions...

Anyway, no hurry, I can't see this bass getting huge amounts of attention straight away, as I currently have about 5 other projects ongoing!

Jon.

That bridge is so bad it looks photoshopped!

I can vouch for the Supertone bridge, but yes you'll pretty much have to source it abroad. However, the pound is strengthening against the dollar so it might work out not too bad. Obviously, dimensions are quite critical - [url="http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/supertone.pdf"]http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/supertone.pdf[/url]

$100 from BPR = £60. Alternatively there's always here: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260456582644"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260456582644[/url] - I bought my last one from this guy with no problems.

Because they're in short supply here, you should get most of your money back if you choose to move it on, particularly if customs overlooks it on entry...

[quote name='neepheid' post='560281' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:27 PM']That bridge is so bad it looks photoshopped!

I can vouch for the Supertone bridge, but yes you'll pretty much have to source it abroad. However, the pound is strengthening against the dollar so it might work out not too bad. Obviously, dimensions are quite critical - [url="http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/supertone.pdf"]http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/supertone.pdf[/url]

$100 from BPR = £60. Alternatively there's always here: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260456582644"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260456582644[/url] - I bought my last one from this guy with no problems.

Because they're in short supply here, you should get most of your money back if you choose to move it on, particularly if customs overlooks it on entry...[/quote]

When I Googled the Hipshot your BC review was the first thing that came up, and the pics of it on your EB were what swayed me away from a conventional bridge. Thanks for the links, I'm pretty certain it would fit my bass, and the seller in the States is pretty reasonable.

Interestingly, when you Google Westbury Track 2, half of the results seem to be about broken bridges - obviously there was an issue with the part! Really surprising considering these were Matsumoku basses & the quality control was generally excellent.

Of course bridge replacement option no. 3 would be a standard 3-point bridge, which would return it to stock - and this does appeal to the JapCrap purist in me. I'm very drawn towards the Hipshot but I suppose I don't know if the Westy's a keeper until I've played it a bit & gigged with it - so I feel a bit reticent about buying a part that will cost more than the bass did!

Have you still got your old one & would you consider selling or loaning it?

J.

Was that on eBay last week?! How did I miss that?! Nice buy. I've been looking out for one of they also - I have a the g****r version which is very nice. Last one I saw went, as you say, a good sum and far more than I would've expected for a little-known japcrap brand.

Funnily enough IIRC the last one I saw had a broken bridge also. I think I remember discovering that a few basses had the exact same bridge, the grabber-esque Hondo for example. Not inconcievable that a replacement may find it's way on to eBay?

Nice find.

Pluck

[quote name='Bassassin' post='560357' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:46 PM']When I Googled the Hipshot your BC review was the first thing that came up, and the pics of it on your EB were what swayed me away from a conventional bridge. Thanks for the links, I'm pretty certain it would fit my bass, and the seller in the States is pretty reasonable.

Interestingly, when you Google Westbury Track 2, half of the results seem to be about broken bridges - obviously there was an issue with the part! Really surprising considering these were Matsumoku basses & the quality control was generally excellent.

Of course bridge replacement option no. 3 would be a standard 3-point bridge, which would return it to stock - and this does appeal to the JapCrap purist in me. I'm very drawn towards the Hipshot but I suppose I don't know if the Westy's a keeper until I've played it a bit & gigged with it - so I feel a bit reticent about buying a part that will cost more than the bass did!

Have you still got your old one & would you consider selling or loaning it?

J.[/quote]

Sorry man, I sold it some time ago when I parted out my Epi EB-0. Bought it when the pound was strong last year and got £50 for it if memory serves, so I think I got all my money back :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='560370' date='Aug 4 2009, 05:00 PM']Sorry man, I sold it some time ago when I parted out my Epi EB-0. Bought it when the pound was strong last year and got £50 for it if memory serves, so I think I got all my money back :)[/quote]
No probs. :rolleyes:

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='560369' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:59 PM']Was that on eBay last week?! How did I miss that?! Nice buy. I've been looking out for one of they also - I have a the g****r version which is very nice. Last one I saw went, as you say, a good sum and far more than I would've expected for a little-known japcrap brand.

Funnily enough IIRC the last one I saw had a broken bridge also. I think I remember discovering that a few basses had the exact same bridge, the grabber-esque Hondo for example. Not inconcievable that a replacement may find it's way on to eBay?

Nice find.

Pluck[/quote]

That makes 2 of us - I have a lovely black Westbury Standard g*it*ar - without a doubt the nicest one I've ever owned! That's actually why I've been after a Westy bass for ages. Always fancied having "the pair". :lol:

J.

I'm now sorted out for a bridge thanks to The Bass Doc (Howard) so I'll probably be getting on with this sooner than I thought. I just need a 2-way mini switch (buttons on Ebay), one speed knob (spares box) and a control cover, which I can make.

J.

Sweet - don't forget to post pics/impressions :)

Pluck

[quote name='Bassassin' post='560951' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:17 AM']I'm now sorted out for a bridge thanks to The Bass Doc (Howard) so I'll probably be getting on with this sooner than I thought. I just need a 2-way mini switch (buttons on Ebay), one speed knob (spares box) and a control cover, which I can make.

J.[/quote]

[quote name='Bassassin' post='562775' date='Aug 7 2009, 02:03 PM']The bridge turned up today from Howard & it's spot-on. About twice the weight of the rubber one & not about to bend in a hurry.

Very keen to get cracking with this now!

J.[/quote]

Hey there, just joined today and saw your thread.

I have the exact same track II with the exact same problems. I inherited it from an old boss, so it cost me nothing. it all works, except the bridge has a split at the A string, and it was missing the toggle switch.

Where did you get your replacement bridge from? and how much did it cost?

If we can help each other in any way about these basses, just let me know.

[quote name='Bassmingo' post='569923' date='Aug 15 2009, 02:03 PM']Hey there, just joined today and saw your thread.

I have the exact same track II with the exact same problems. I inherited it from an old boss, so it cost me nothing. it all works, except the bridge has a split at the A string, and it was missing the toggle switch.

Where did you get your replacement bridge from? and how much did it cost?

If we can help each other in any way about these basses, just let me know.[/quote]
Hi - bit of a coincidence because I've just put it back together & was about to post an update!

Anyway - a couple of problems, no. 1 being my new micro-switch for the pup is defective - works fine in one position but no sound in the other. The switch appears to be the problem rather than my wiring...
Problem no. 2 is that the nut's cut a bit too deep so there's choking & rattling on the open stings, particularly the E. Nothing major, then, but annoying nonetheless.

Bassmingo - my replacement bridge came from another BC member who had one (minus a couple of saddles) in his parts drawer, I paid him £6 for it which was more than reasonable! Possibly someone else will have one so you could start a topic in the "Wanted" forum yourself.

Alternatively, you can get [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-Epiphone-3-Point-Bass-Guitar-Bridge-New-Nickel_W0QQitemZ190328599052"]these on Ebay[/url] from a Canadian seller, they do go for sensible prices & according to everything I've read should be an exact fit.

The new switch on mine came from Ebay - basically 3 for £5, I assume the other ones will work OK but I need to find out the seller's replacement/exchange etc policy before I fit another. The wiring schematic is easy to find - the pickup in the bass is a Dimarzio Model P and there's a PDF for wiring it to a phase switch on the Dimarzio website.

Anyway, mine's certainly looking a lot better now than it did a week ago. It took plenty of T-cut & elbow grease to get a shine back on the body & scratchplate and it looks pretty good now - if a little "roadworn" :) - fortunately I don't mind a bit of genuine "relicing" on an old bass. I'll take some pics later on before I start pulling it apart again & messing with the nut. I'll give it a bit of a fret dress too while I'm at it.

By the way - good score getting it for nothing, while [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Westbury-Track-2-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Japan-Matsumoku_W0QQitemZ260462633979"]this[/url] may be ever-so-slightly optimistic, it's nice to know when you've had a bargain...

Jon.

Pics as promised:

[attachment=31029:track2full.jpg][attachment=31028:track2front.jpg]
[attachment=31030:track2head.jpg][attachment=31027:track2back.jpg]

It's really come up rather well aesthetically - just that big chip on the back corner & a bit of buckle rash in addition to the more usual level of wear & tear. Mostly looks great from the front.

I'm getting a replacement phase switch sent so I'll swap out the dodgy one, then I'll replace the nut, if I have the right size in t'parts box, otherwise I'll just shim this one, it's not worn or damaged at all.

In other interesting news - the Track2 on Ebay sold for £230. Which is quite good to know!

J.

Thanks! It does look sweet, even if it ain't a player yet!

Bassmingo - no actual polish, just T-cut paint restorer out of Halfords, which I've found to be excellent for polishing up instruments with polyurethane finishes. These sorts of paintjobs have about a thick coat of clear poly lacquer over the actual colour, so a mild abrasive like T-cut buffs out all of the little scratches & with enough work can get a shine close to new. It also works on plastic parts - my scratchplate was cloudy & opaque pretty much all over, took a lot of effort but it's come back quite well.

J.

Well - I pronounce the Westbury Track 2 project complete - new switch works perfectly, a minor fret dress, re-strung it with some sensible gauges (the strings it came with were very light) and it's cured the open E-string rattle & choke without having to do any nut work - and it's getting gigged tonight. Result-tastic!

EDIT: Update - gigged it, liked it a lot. The Dimarzio pup is set a lot closer to the bridge than other P-equipped basses I've played, and that gives it a real aggressive & defined snarl, & maybe a bit less "thud" than normal P positioning. It's a pretty comfortable little bass too, a fair bit lighter than my mahogany-bodied J or the Rickenbuggers. The small, symmetrical body makes it feel a bit more of a reach to the low frets & does make it feel a little neck-heavy compared with what I'm more used to - but after a couple of minutes I didn't really notice.

A great little bass which I think I'll be using quite a bit. :)

J.

Edited by Bassassin

• 1 year later...

My first bass was one of these bought from the classified ads in the local paper. It cost me £30 I think and had been refinished in black car paint about 2 inches thick.

I dread to think how long ago that was but we must be talking 25 years.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

I had one of these as my first bass, loved it but sold it when i needed funds for a car.
I bought another a couple of years ago which had a similer bridge problem so i swapped it out for the Gibson one and it's been fine since. It's a great bass, but i don't really play it very much so may move it on in the not so distant future as it seem a shame to have it just sitting the not being played, just not sure i can bear to see it go :)