Why become a member? ×

Slap Plates

JBassist

No experience at all with these so can't give advice, though I would have thought that you will probably need to get one made for your bass - it will need to match the radius of the fingerboard.

And there is a pic of one [url="http://www.musiker-board.de/vb/bastelecke/337845-wie-ndert-aktiv-elektronik-den-sound-meines-fretlessbasses.html"]here[/url], post #5. The thread is in german and despite the fact that the poster has the same avatar as me there is no connection! :)

[quote name='bythesea' post='559404' date='Aug 3 2009, 04:51 PM']No experience at all with these so can't give advice, though I would have thought that you will probably need to get one made for your bass - it will need to match the radius of the fingerboard.

And there is a pic of one [url="http://www.musiker-board.de/vb/bastelecke/337845-wie-ndert-aktiv-elektronik-den-sound-meines-fretlessbasses.html"]here[/url], post #5. The thread is in german and despite the fact that the poster has the same avatar as me there is no connection! :)[/quote]

cheers mate

If memory serves, Wilkes were among the first to offer them in any number. I've never seen a Jaydee with them, apart from that sale one! :)
They're not an over the counter one-size-fits-all thing... have a word with your friendly neighbourhood luthier. They won't stop [u]all[/u] damage to a fretless, you'll still get normal string wear along the board, but it will stop the end of the board getting knackered from smacking the string against it. And it will add the slap's percussive element that you get from a fretted bass.

[quote name='Rich' post='560139' date='Aug 4 2009, 02:07 PM']If memory serves, Wilkes were among the first to offer them in any number. I've never seen a Jaydee with them, apart from that sale one! :)
They're not an over the counter one-size-fits-all thing... have a word with your friendly neighbourhood luthier. They won't stop [u]all[/u] damage to a fretless, you'll still get normal string wear along the board, but it will stop the end of the board getting knackered from smacking the string against it. And it will add the slap's percussive element that you get from a fretted bass.[/quote]

The Wilkes system is paired with a contact pickup for amplifying the percussive attack - very elaborate. Why isn't Doug on BC? - came across him on Talkbass - maybe we should invite him? :rolleyes: