Why become a member? ×

Differing outputs/tone between basses you use

Tinman

So, last night I went to rehearsal and used both my basses (Shuker and my new US Jazz) together for the first time. My rig had been set up (EQ etc) exclusively for my Shuker because that's all I used to use.
What I found was that the Jazz just would not cut through at all, it was totally lost - and yet, as expected, my Shuker came through a treat.

Now I realise that my Shuker was bound to work as my stuff is set for it.
What I'd like advice on is how you guys deal with the differences and what, if anything, you recommend I do to the Jazz in order to be able to just swap between the two

Edited by Tinman

I take it one is passive and the other active...???

Set the amp up for the passive bass and then see how far you can get the on-board pre on the active to make up the ground ..altho this might mean you need to adjust the pre-sets of the pre-amp..if indeed you have the capability on the pre to do that..

Funny you've mentioned that.

I've just changed cabs and I'm still getting to grips with my new Compact. Well before I could use my Spector with the bass boost halfway, but now it has to be flat. And I use the amp instead. This is because the tone-pump has a boost only of 18db which is way too much, on the other hand my T-bass is fine even with the lows boosted. I find that I have to roll up the gain a lot when using the T-bass.

I have a picture on the side of the amp with my settings (eventually you memorize) so I don't have to tweak too much.
If you must use two basses in one gig this is what i'd do.

[quote name='JTUK' post='558944' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:38 AM']I take it one is passive and the other active...???

Set the amp up for the passive bass and then see how far you can get the on-board pre on the active to make up the ground ..altho this might mean you need to adjust the pre-sets of the pre-amp..if indeed you have the capability on the pre to do that..[/quote]

Yes....one of each. Trouble is, the Pre-amp gain in the Shuker is turned right down already - so no movement there. I'll have to have a fiddle and see what I come up with.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='558966' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:36 AM']Zoom B2 multiFX with different patches having different output levels.
Perfectly balanced outputs at the click of a footswitch. £35 from ebay including fantastic muted tuner.[/quote]

Now there's an idea. I'll take a look at that :)

[quote name='RussFM' post='558980' date='Aug 3 2009, 09:03 AM']I've got a two channel amp, so it's one channel for my main bass and another for the backup. Nice and easy![/quote]

Hang on....I'll just nip out and get myself another amp then :rolleyes:

Or...... what is the reasoning for having 2 basses on stage...?
If one is a backup then that might imply that the swap over would only be the once during a set....if at all.
I guess the Jazz is new so therefore any swapping around is because youi can rather than any desired tone and the like.
For most local dates a bit of twiddling between songs is just about acceptable to me... but if the set-up is more pro-orientated and this just is not an option, then you will need some sort of patch/mixer control to adjust the gains etc ...

I think it is all going to be down to you re-learning how to EQ the new bass so you can go straight to the sort of EQ and be usuable..
You'll need to comfortable with the new bass to know that you just require this tweak or that one.....but this isn't something reached very quickly...
After you have done this in the house, you then need to get it working on stage with different acoustics etc etc..defo a work in progress..IME..

I am currently doing this myself with my new speakers config and I found that I have had to adjust the pre-amp to
bass +- 15db at 100hz
Mid +- 15 at 1khz
Treb +- 15 at 4.5khz..

If I reset these freqs then I have to start all over again...but it does teach you to get to know how your amps shape the sounds you use...

But...and this is often forgotten, IMV... what is an ideal tone for goofing around at home, just might not work at all on stage with all hell breaking loose....... or guitarists :)

I had exactly the same problem between my Shuker and my MIJ Jazz. I go through a Hartke HA3500, it has both passive and active inputs. So, all I normally do is use the Shuker through the active input, and use the controls on the bass to get the sound I want. Then when I use the Jazz through the passive input I use the graphic on the amp to get the sound I want. I have to do this as the Jazz sounds lifeless next to the Shuke.

[quote name='Johngh' post='559491' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:30 PM']I had exactly the same problem between my Shuker and my MIJ Jazz. I go through a Hartke HA3500, it has both passive and active inputs. So, all I normally do is use the Shuker through the active input, and use the controls on the bass to get the sound I want. Then when I use the Jazz through the passive input I use the graphic on the amp to get the sound I want. I have to do this as the Jazz sounds lifeless next to the Shuke.[/quote]

the begging question is then..why do people buy them if the difference is not that usable in a giggibg context...??

just asking...

For me the whole point of having different basses is because they sound different.

However when it comes to my main bass, I have 2 very similar sounding Gus G3s for which I have custom Bass Pod patches so I can get them to sound as close as possible.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='JTUK' post='559566' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:46 PM']the begging question is then..why do people buy them if the difference is not that usable in a giggibg context...??
just asking...[/quote]

i thought this as well...when i got my P bass after a manson J...i wanted it to sound like a P not a J
then i got the stingray 5...and was over the moon that it didnt sound like either the above
now i have the shuker passive 51P...its sounds just right

i concentrate on the right notes and rhythm....get the vol right and away i go

[quote name='JTUK' post='559566' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:46 PM']the begging question is then..why do people buy them if the difference is not that usable in a giggibg context...??

just asking...[/quote]

Because I've always wanted a Jazz with block inlays and neck binding, which is what my Jazz has. Who said it wasn't usable in a gigging context !

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='559586' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:05 PM']EBS Microbass II is a perfect tool for this.[/quote]
+1

Just some thoughts Pete:
Do you need to use two basses or will one do?
Do you need to use two basses that sound so different?

I can undertand wnating a P-bass sound and a Jazz sound ...or whatever else you want.. but a passive against an active is going to present a problem most likely.

Still, if you don't mind an Equaliser of some sort in-line to your amp, then you can get round this without too much trouble...or a twin-channel amp etc etc.

Way I figure it is your backup bass is there for dire emergency. If your main bass goes horrible in the middle of a set the band won't be too picky about how you sound, so long as there is bass. I have little stickers on my amp so I never lose the sweet settings, perhaps a second set of stickers for bass two? Of course the real ultimate backup is the exact same model as your main bass.

I keep life simple.

I use any of 5 basses regulary - some passive , some active , some high output , some less etc. I know pretty much from memory where to set the gain for each and that's all I do. The master stays the same and I get the same volume.

I have the eq on the GK set pretty flat and I leave it there. All my basses sound different and I like that - I want each one to sound individual , otherwise why have numerous basses??

It follows that I'm more likely to use bass A than bass B for a particular job because it's sound suits the job better.

Knob twiddling ... in most cases (only an opinion) you twiddle the sound worse.Get an amp with a core sound you really like without having to swing on the knobs - tweak on the basses tone knobs if you must - then get on with making music. That's how I do it anyway.

[quote name='chris_b' post='560054' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:39 AM']Listen to the Doctor! One thing occurred to me reading these replies; too much choice is a [u]bad[/u] thing!![/quote]

It's true - 'video shop syndrome ' I call it. If you walk into a shop that has a dozen DVD's to choose from you come back with one well pleased. If you walk into blockbuster where there's a thousand you come back with bugger all.

I've always seen a point to having several differing basses. Why not - it's our brass and nice to have a choice - plenty of tools in the tool box etc. BUT...........
It can be wrong to think of them as 'spares' if you have a strong weapon of choice. The natural spare for your weapon of choice is one exactly the same.

I'm pleased I have different basses and I enjoy their differences - I suppose if Dave Gilmour rang me and said 'Pratt's lived up to his name and isn't coming , get your arse on this plane for the next 18 months ' I'd be out looking for true backups to the instruments I'd want to use.

I have a thing about 'spares' anyway - was ranting about it to our guitarist t'other day. Mains lead's , we were on about. Where's the sense in having one 12 ft long and a 'spare' in the case that's 8 ft long?? That's worse than no spare at all - if you've run the bloody thing out more than 8ft 6" from the wall socket what use is the smaller one when the 12fter fails??? - plus you have a false sense of confidence because you think you have a 'spare'.