Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Stingray/Sterling 5 string

Musicman20

Hey guys

Im looking around at 5 string basses at the moment, and something struck me when I watched the Ernie Ball demos on youtube...the Sterling/Stingray is a really nice 5 string!

Has anyone tried comparing the two?

The Sterling is the more aggressive of the two, with in-series pickups, and different pickguard. Also, slightly lighter?

I think thats the main difference. I already have two Stingrays...so I think Sterling might be a nice option. I still want to test some Lakland 5's though (DJ and JO).

Any views on these two instruments as a 5 string option?

Thanks

[quote name='budget bassist' post='558194' date='Aug 2 2009, 12:35 AM']i hear the stingray is more aggressive sounding than the sterling. Also the sterling has a smaller body, thinner neck etc, my kind of ergonomics. I'm afraid i can't contribute much more than that though![/quote]

Smaller body sounds good to me....

The B on these basses sounds amazing through the vids.

I did quite a bit of research on the Sterling 5. It is effectively the same neck as the SR5, it's the body that is smaller. I contacted Strings and Things asking who had one in stock in the UK that I could try. They had one which they said they could send to my local dealer, Andertons, should I wish to try it. They also sent me a list of basses which were ex-factory and which could be shipped over if I ordered one in one month rather than the normal 3-4 months for a new build.

Having looked at the demos I came to the conclusion that I wanted an HS. I was on the point of ordering one and then it dawned on me that for the price I could get a fully custom bass built here in the UK by a superb luthier with HS pick-ups, so that's what I've ordered. The only down-side is that I now I have to wait 10 months but it'll be worth it.

I would certainly be interested in trying a Sterling HS but they are about as common as hen's teeth.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='558117' date='Aug 1 2009, 10:35 PM']Hey guys

Im looking around at 5 string basses at the moment, and something struck me when I watched the Ernie Ball demos on youtube...the Sterling/Stingray is a really nice 5 string!

Has anyone tried comparing the two?

The Sterling is the more aggressive of the two, with in-series pickups, and different pickguard. Also, slightly lighter?

I think thats the main difference. I already have two Stingrays...so I think Sterling might be a nice option. I still want to test some Lakland 5's though (DJ and JO).

Any views on these two instruments as a 5 string option?

Thanks[/quote]

Before you make a decision go and try a Bongo first, yes I know the looks aren't to everyones liking (I love em) but they are gorgeous to play and they can do all the different tones... It's right up there near the top of my shopping list

[quote name='obbm' post='558246' date='Aug 2 2009, 07:53 AM']I did quite a bit of research on the Sterling 5. It is effectively the same neck as the SR5, it's the body that is smaller. I contacted Strings and Things asking who had one in stock in the UK that I could try. They had one which they said they could send to my local dealer, Andertons, should I wish to try it. They also sent me a list of basses which were ex-factory and which could be shipped over if I ordered one in one month rather than the normal 3-4 months for a new build.

Having looked at the demos I came to the conclusion that I wanted an HS. I was on the point of ordering one and then it dawned on me that for the price I could get a fully custom bass built here in the UK by a superb luthier with HS pick-ups, so that's what I've ordered. The only down-side is that I now I have to wait 10 months but it'll be worth it.

I would certainly be interested in trying a Sterling HS but they are about as common as hen's teeth.[/quote]

Yes, the price is pretty damn high. I'd love to test the Sterling 5. It might be worth me looking into custom builders if they are a similar ish price. There is something about the EB basses though....such immaculate finishes, and the sound of those pickups!

[quote name='Monz' post='558366' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:29 AM']Before you make a decision go and try a Bongo first, yes I know the looks aren't to everyones liking (I love em) but they are gorgeous to play and they can do all the different tones... It's right up there near the top of my shopping list[/quote]

I watched a few Bongo demo vids, and I had a look at one in Bass Merchant. To be fair, I actually quite like the fact they look so different...they wouldnt suit me....but thats the point I guess. Ill have to have more time with one...but I still think my tone preference is with the Stingray/Sterlings.

Thanks!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='558570' date='Aug 2 2009, 04:27 PM']My Stingray has the best B string ive ever played..way better than my old Sadowsky..IMO

Its a very focused instrument...depending on strings of course..[/quote]

Stop teasing me like that Andrew......I still regret selling this one :)

Still, my neckdoesn't hurt as much on long gigs with the Status.

EB basses seem to have really good B's.

Interesting that in the recent Paul Turner interview, he stated he prefers 4 string basses, but if he goes 5, the Stringray is his favourite because not only does it do a nice B, it also has a very nice evn tone throughout the register.

All I'll say is, don't take the B for granted..

Some prefer neck-thru, some prefer bolt-on...

You have got to hear them..

Bubinga5..interesting that you mention the Sadowsky B... they always tout bolt-on as the way to go.. but I think neck-thru works ....but then that is just another thing you take a chance on when you commsion a 5....