Why become a member? ×

Carlsbro cobra-90 is it rubbish?

mikeyg

Depends on what you are used to. They have quite a fair amount of power for their 'meagre' 90 watts, they actually put out a lot of noise.

If you're a player who puts a good sound into the amp (i.e. have a good bass, technique and perhaps a decent preamp) - you'll get a good sound from it without doubt.

Cheers,
James

I used one in the late 80s - very light (nothing in it!) and usable for small gigs. Don't expect it perform like an old trace elliot....

If you are on a very tight budget and won't be playing very loud its ok....but I'd suggest a trawl through evil bay to see what they go for?

I bought one new back in the '80's and I seem to remember it cost around £130 back then, so they shouldn't be asking much for it now.

I bought it because it was compact and had day-glo green graphics, which reminded me very tenuously of the look of the UV-illuminated Trace Elliot heads a certain Mr King was using at the time. :) But sadly, there any similarity ended. :rolleyes:

I used mine with a compact 1x12" cab and it seemed loud enough for just 90 watts. It has a compression circuit, but the compression isn't adjustable and I could never really detect any audible difference between whether it was switched on or off.

Edit: Just remembered that it has a parametric EQ for the mids which I liked.

Edited by Krysbass

I bought one in the late 80's & just put it in the bin last week.

Cost about £80 back then s/h & sounded sh!te. My bro blew it up in the late 90s, then 2 years ago me like a fool, put it into a cowboy music shop in Stirling to ask if it was worth getting fixed. Phoned me back a week later to say they'd fixed it & that would be £45 thank you, tw@s. That's more than it's worth in a working condition.
I got it back & then about 4 months later I plugged it in for about the 3rd time & it packed in!
Kept it for a while as I thought I might use some bits off it & then last week I had a clearout of rubbish.

If it's more than a tenner, don't buy it, they sound total crap.

• 11 years later...
On 27/02/2021 at 00:43, Saltlamp said:

I just got one of these heads along with a goodman 50w speaker cab and I don’t know anything about it?... is the amp a valve amp? My one cost me £20 but it needs a service and the speaker cab needs a repair.

It's a tranny amp. See xgsjx's post above. Fixing it will cost more than it's worth. Save your money and put it towards something newer/better.

• 2 weeks later...