Why become a member? ×

Amazing fretless bass parts!

Shockwave

Hey guys.

As an advocate of fretless bass playing, i keep coming back to a few specific bass players and songs that really stand out. Here for your perusal are 3 of them!

[b]Fretless in Rock [/b]

First up its Tony Franklin with Blue Murder, A song called Billy, the studio versions sounds much better but this is the only version i can find. Great hooks in the song and a great Jaydee Fretless tone. Tony Franklin may persuade me to play with a pick one of these days. The breaks right at the end are pretty awesome :) The muted riff at the beginning is really tasteful i feel. (The hair is not however)

[b]Fretless in Death Metal [/b]

I have praised this band before on the boards, but i would like it revisited :rolleyes:

Quo Vadis, Technical death metal band from Canada, Two absoloutely amazing guitarists, one of the best drummers in the business, plus with some real talented fretless bass. The fretless really starts to shine through after the intro, fantastic lines that dont just follow the root note. Again the studio version sounds better. Quo Vadis convinced me to play fretless in my own Death metal styled band. (Recording very soon)

[b]Fretless in Fusion[/b]

Brand-X

I have been an admirer of Phil Collins drumwork for a long time, when i stumbled across this band and Percy jones great playing.

Pretty technical, great feel and speed. A landmark in electric fretless playing. I dont think i could replicate these lines even if i tried!

So if you guys can introduce me to some more bands and great fretless lines that would be appreciated. :lol:

I'm trying to find close up's of Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam) playing nice melodic fretless parts. I failed.

I found this....wow is this old

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYc72UFX02U&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYc72UFX02U...feature=related[/url]

I REALLY like Pearl Jam.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='555382' date='Jul 29 2009, 05:56 PM']And charging in from the leftfield... I Suggest "Babooshka" by Kate Bush.
John Giblin is ripping it up![/quote]
+1
"Babooshka" is probably my favourite bass part of all time. Giblin is a fantastic player.
His playing on John Martyns "Grace & danger" album is superb as well.

Um, nobodies mentioned Jaco yet......
If for some reason you haven't heard Jaco's playing on Joni Mitchells "Hejira" & "Mingus" albums make sure you do. Absolutely wonderful. Personally I think this was Jaco at his very best.

[quote name='RhysP' post='555544' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:30 PM']If for some reason you haven't heard Jaco's playing on Joni Mitchells "Hejira" & "Mingus" albums make sure you do. Absolutely wonderful. Personally I think this was Jaco at his very best.[/quote]
I was going to mention Hejira and thought Jaco must have already been mentioned so didn't bother! :)

That was what first opened my eyes to fretless

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='555413' date='Jul 29 2009, 06:31 PM']I only clicked on this because I thought it said 'amazing fretless bass pants' :rolleyes:[/quote]

Sounds like you need a holiday. I hear Bali's very nice around late September... :)

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='Musicman20' post='555464' date='Jul 29 2009, 07:13 PM']I'm trying to find close up's of Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam) playing nice melodic fretless parts. I failed.

I found this....wow is this old

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYc72UFX02U&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYc72UFX02U...feature=related[/url]

[b]I REALLY like Pearl Jam.[/b][/quote]

+1 to PJ and Jeff. I recently bought their 'live at the garden' DVD, some sexy fretless wal playing going on there.

John Giblin is a fretless god. My favourite JG bassline is on "Family Business", from the Fish album "Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors". Utterly fabulous, spine-tingly stuff.
Brand X's "April" is a corker too.

Awesome stuff upthread, but one plug for my personal favourite, old Pino Palladino:

Stolen a track from some italian chap's Youtube channel - Paul Young 'Wonderland':

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcJeJ5YdCtE&feature=PlayList&p=87D1B457B5420F20&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=37"]Paul Young - Wonderland[/url]

I really must learn how to embed video...

Cheers

Jon