Why become a member? ×

Trace Combo

BarnacleBob

This on my local Gumtree

[url="http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/09/42694209.html"]clickhere[/url]

That seems a good price but what could the the crackling be do you think?
If its a cheap fix why not get it done himself for a better sale but I suppose he mebbe just cant be arsed, like
i would be, and wants shot of it as is.

Anyone had a simlair problem? MY AH250 crackled a lot but it was the uv light caused that

Any advice?

BB

The crackle is likely to be a dry joint. It's often the big psu caps (if they're pcb mounted - I've got one of these amps and never even looked inside- most unlike me!) The vibration makes the solder joint fracture. I've just done a repair like this on a cheap Marshall guitar amp. Look out for large resistors, fuse holders etc. as I've seen this happen on different amps.
These are decent amps, not light, but not the heaviest you'll ever pick up either.
I'd say go for it!
Jules

This combo isn't reallly 300w like the seller claims it to be. I've got the same amp head on my Trace Combo (GP7SM 130), and that is only 130w RMS and 260w peak. You can actually see the '130' in the pics of the combo. Only difference with this and mine is that mine only has a 10" speaker, whereas this one has a 15".

Regardless, it is still an awesome amp, and I would recommend it.

Being a big Trace fan, I really rate these amps and I would imagine that the problem wouldn't be that serious. That said, I am reluctant to buy something that doesn't work properly, unless it is for dirt cheap. I've seen a fair number or these type of amps amps on the second hand market, so its not exactly a once-in-a-lifetime chance to buy.

Also, why is he advertising it as a 300w head when it clearly isn't? I actually own the GP7SM 300 combo which he is pretty much claiming to be selling. That said, the speaker in mine is 8ohms with an option for an additional speaker, while the speaker in the advertised combo is at 4. Not that much real difference in volume when the combo is used by itself, but still!

As said before, you getting a very good amp if you can sort out the existing problems. It would handle most gigs around Glasgow without much of a problem. I would suggest to try before you buy, and if you buy it, to report back whether this top 40 album is any good!

Sorry if this is a semi-hijack of this thread but I've just won an AH300SMX on ebay which I'm really chuffed with (aside from the send level knob on the back getting broken off in transit). Would there be any merit in changing the valve in it or were the original valves good enough quality as is?

Thanks,

Mark