Why become a member? ×

First build finally finished! SC headless 6'er

Gizmo

Posted this over at talkbass (im thonk over there) but thought id post here aswell

Well she took a while long that i thought she would but she's finished! (apart from the fact that the EMG BQC system i installed is faulty so i gotta order a new one :) )

Any hows the spec and some pic's and first build views....

Single cut (my own design but with a tip of the hat to JP)
6 String BEADGC
Headless (status gold hardware)
EMG 45DC active pups
EMG BQC system
24 fret's
Neck thur 5 piece Zebra/Purple/Cherry/Purple/Zebra
Zerba wood Fingerboard
Zebra body wings
Maple burl top
Purple/cherry/purple accent veneers
warwick gold straplock's
Hand rubbed Danish oil finish

yes she is heavy due to all the Zebrawood(no more so than other 6'er's i've played)but she's not for gigging so im not to bothered

Knobs will be replaced with wooded one's in the next week or so

As i said in the title this is the first time i've ever built a bass(infact its the first time i've touched any woodworking tools snice i left school 17 years ago!)and one thing i've learnt is that if you dont have the tool for the job wait & go get it because if you dont its gonna cost you a whole heap of trouble & strife

There are a few thing's and way's of doing thing's id change if i had my time over again on her & im my own worst critic but im 100% happy with the end result and thats all that matter's right :huh:

My 2nd build a 4 string headless SC ash/maple is already 1/3 rd under way as well as a replacement ash jazz body for my fretless
progress threads to come

So it seems building is as addictive as drug and alcohol it also seems to cost the same! but the rewards are 1000% better imho

Laters
Gizmo

I'll have a dig around my backup dvd's and try and find some early in progress pic's if anyone's interested?

Brilliant! For a first effort that's superb. Did you do much research before hand or sort issues as they arose?

I can't quite tell from the images: did you route under the tuners, or are the central 4 easy enough to turn without having to get your fingers underneath?

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='4572' date='May 22 2007, 07:17 PM']Brilliant! For a first effort that's superb. Did you do much research before hand or sort issues as they arose?

I can't quite tell from the images: did you route under the tuners, or are the central 4 easy enough to turn without having to get your fingers underneath?[/quote]

Hey dave thx for your reply

Theres a small route under the tunning domes and i have no problem tunning them from above with the edge of my thumb,
i was going to take out the whole backend out and designed for it but i did a test setup with just a channel route and found it worked more
than well enought for me so i decided to not kill the flow of the backend

research research & a bit more research was all i did for the first month or so & melvin hiscox's book was a big help as was the lutier's coner over at talkbass
but i found research i think can only get you sofar things change quite a lot when your doing and i had to fix a few things in the mix as it where
hopefully though i learn enought that those things wont pop up on my future builds :)

Cheers
Gizmo

[quote name='RichBowman' post='4667' date='May 22 2007, 09:44 PM']Wow! That looks superb - I don't know how you can achieve so much on a first time build!

I'd love to have a go it building a bass, but have far too little time and/or talent!

Where are you thinking of getting the wooden knobs from?

Rich[/quote]

Hi Rich

Thanks for the kind words im sure anyone could do it if they tried and had the time/workspace/tools
I just took my time and read a lot i also knew when id had enough and needed a break infact at one point i didnt touch it for over 2 months(around the time i started to carve the neck profile)because i was unsure on how to progress but a few weeks and some test pieces later i refond my footing and carried on

As with the rest of the bass i'll be building the knobs out of my left over scraps they'll be maple burl topped with purple/cherry/purple accent lines and have zebra wood bodies to match the main body woods

Cheers
Gizmo

Wow! I had seen the thread over at TB, but hadnt known it was you. Thats really very sexay mate. Well done!

Just a quick question, as I cannae see in the pic clearly, have you routed out underneath the thumbscrews on the bridge tuners, or are they just laying flush with the body top?

I wondered how easy it was to turn them in that position?

Really really nice looking bass there!

Hey guys

again thx for replys and kind words its really nice to hear you all like the design
i know that single cuts dont float everyones boat but i love them and i've already started a 2nd SC build (4string headless i'll post a progress thread later in the week)

Hey dood i'll quote myself to answer your ? hehe

[quote name='Gizmo' post='4581' date='May 22 2007, 06:32 PM']Hey dave thx for your reply

Theres a small route under the tunning domes and i have no problem tunning them from above with the edge of my thumb,
i was going to take out the whole backend out and designed for it but i did a test setup with just a channel route and found it worked more
than well enought for me so i decided to not kill the flow of the backend[/quote]

Peace
Gizmo

[quote name='Gizmo' post='7423' date='May 27 2007, 12:49 AM']Hey guys

again thx for replys and kind words its really nice to hear you all like the design
i know that single cuts dont float everyones boat but i love them and i've already started a 2nd SC build (4string headless i'll post a progress thread later in the week)

Hey dood i'll quote myself to answer your ? hehe
Peace
Gizmo[/quote]

GUH!! I must pay attention!! I'd skimmed that post!! Ooops!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

Again many thx for your comments and kind words :huh:

[quote name='d-basser' post='19727' date='Jun 18 2007, 05:02 PM']that is a sexy beast, makes me want to attempt luthiery but i have no space for a workshop :)[/quote]

Well this bass(and my other inprogess)was built in and 8X8 foot work shed with one bench area
its a bit of a pain to move tools around but it can be done id recommend that anyone have a go at it just read a lot,make up a good plan and be sure to stick to it

All the best
Gizmo

btw if any one wants any(limited)advise feel free to PM me :huh:

• 2 weeks later...