Why become a member? ×

I'm an asshole, so you must be too!

Just recieved this response to an offer to pay cash on collection. Looking on the bright side, it's always a pleasure not to deal with people like this!

"Hi mate, the bottom line is I wouldn't. Invariably it would be a winning
bid followed by you coming to collect the system and trying to offer a
lower fee than was bid. I know that I because I WOULD DO THE SAME!"

Reply with an essay on the poor state of society and how his non-trusting example is at the root of the gradual decline into street crime and social malaise...
or just "Ah so you don't actually have the item, you are just scamming?"

At least his reply gives you more of an answer than you could ever have hoped for!?!

I've sold a dozen plus basses and never had any haggling. The closest I got was my old Jazz bass where the buyer noticed a small dink I'd not spotted. I was genuinely horrified as I pride myself on being honest. I offered to knock a tenner off, he was happy & I was happy.

Sadly it's the nature of eBay in particular that people have learnt, from horror stories like the one's raised on here, to be suspicious of other's motives.

I was chatting to a guy who owned a 4001 CS certificate but sadly no bass. Being in the opposite boat and having the bass with no certificate we checked serial numbers but sadly it was for another one. I suggested that I'd buy it from him as the wrong certificate is better than none (misguided thought possibly). He quite fairly said no and that he's give it for free to the owner of the bass if he could find them.

I offered to put this on here and all the relative forii but he I think became suspicious that I was trying to obtain it by ulterior means and stopped communicating.

Sad that people aren't more trusting I suppose.

So if you have a Rickenbacker 4001 Chris Squire and no certificate I may know who has it :)

[quote name='pete.young' post='551479' date='Jul 25 2009, 11:18 PM']Just recieved this response to an offer to pay cash on collection. Looking on the bright side, it's always a pleasure not to deal with people like this!

lower fee than was bid. I know that I because I WOULD DO THE SAME!"[/quote]

Is the listing still live, if so we can all go on and bug him with questions :)

[quote name='pete.young' post='551479' date='Jul 25 2009, 11:18 PM']Just recieved this response to an offer to pay cash on collection. Looking on the bright side, it's always a pleasure not to deal with people like this!

lower fee than was bid. I know that I because I WOULD DO THE SAME!"[/quote]

What a charmer.... and that is a deal breaker, IMV...hoped you walked away..