Why become a member? ×

Red Sparowes

TheButler

I've just finished listening to the Red Sparowes album, At the Soundless Dawn, and i started really liking the bass. With a lot of post-rock kinda stuff it is usually fairly generic, but i was really liking this; both the playing and the sound.

For those of you interested, the track i particularly like is:

"Buildings Began to Stretch Wide Across the Sky, And the Air Filled With A Reddish Glow"

Just wondered if anyone else was diggin' it... or am i alone :)

I'm a big fan of Red Sparowes. For me the second album, Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun, is much better than the first.

"The Great Leap Forward Poured Down Upon Us One Day Like a Mighty Storm, Suddenly and Furiously Blinding Our Senses."
and
"We Stood Transfixed in Blank Devotion as Our Leader Spoke to Us, Looking Down On Our Mute Faces With a Great, Raging, and Unseeing Eye"
are particularly good.

They're pretty awesome live too.

[quote name='bartelby' post='549696' date='Jul 24 2009, 07:00 AM']I'm a big fan of Red Sparowes. For me the second album, Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun, is much better than the first.

"The Great Leap Forward Poured Down Upon Us One Day Like a Mighty Storm, Suddenly and Furiously Blinding Our Senses."
and
"We Stood Transfixed in Blank Devotion as Our Leader Spoke to Us, Looking Down On Our Mute Faces With a Great, Raging, and Unseeing Eye"
are particularly good.

They're pretty awesome live too.[/quote]

id search those out if iTunes didnt throw a fit over the title!

'Every Heart shines towards the red sun' is a fantastic album. The band are pretty intense live too - sometime a little too intense.

On the subject of new post rock stuff - check out Maybeshewill if you haven't already. 'Not for want of trying' (from the album of the same name) in particular is a brilliant track.

Fantastic band, Jeff Caxide played bass on the first album (from Isis as mentioned) but isn't in them now.

I have Pelican on here at work (empty office), another band to check out if people are in to this. Along with Mono, Mogwai, Cult of Luna and an awesome local band who are my mates called Pet Slimmers of the Year (google it, myspace is banned here).

Yeah, i'm aware of the ISIS connection :rolleyes: I like all of their stuff really, i just happened to be listening to At the Soundless Dawn when typing this.

I've never seen them live :) However, i've seen Maybeshewill, 65daysofstatic, Mono and Mogwai (twice) so i'm quite a fan of my live post-rock.

I personally love Mogwai's bass as well. On both occasions i saw them i've spoken to Dominic, and he was more than happy to talk about his gear and stuff. He uses Trace Elliot, can't remember which stuff exactly though. When i saw him he only used a midnight blue Rick 4003 and a Jazz. Wiki says he uses a Musicman Sabre, but i can't remember seeing that..

[quote name='TheButler' post='549628' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:55 AM']I've just finished listening to the Red Sparowes album, At the Soundless Dawn, and i started really liking the bass. With a lot of post-rock kinda stuff it is usually fairly generic, but i was really liking this; both the playing and the sound.

For those of you interested, the track i particularly like is:

"Buildings Began to Stretch Wide Across the Sky, And the Air Filled With A Reddish Glow"

Just wondered if anyone else was diggin' it... or am i alone :)[/quote]

I love this album , not the type of album you can listen to all the time but a great album none the less

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-rock"]Wikipeadia[/url] entry for post rock.

In a nutshell it's (usually) instrumental, slightly epic, sort of film-scoreish music. It's characterised by long band names (usuallywrittenlikethis) and song titles that are only surpassed in length by the length of the song itself (at least 6:30 for ant self respecting post-rock band).
Done correctly, the music can induce a trance like state in the listener. It's not unusual to see the entire crowd at an Explosions in the sky gig swaying back and forth in unison.

I loves it.

[quote name='TheRev' post='550275' date='Jul 24 2009, 03:18 PM']In a nutshell it's (usually) instrumental, slightly epic, sort of film-scoreish music. It's characterised by long band names (usuallywrittenlikethis) and song titles that are only surpassed in length by the length of the song itself (at least 6:30 for ant self respecting post-rock band).
Done correctly, the music can induce a trance like state in the listener. It's not unusual to see the entire crowd at an Explosions in the sky gig swaying back and forth in unison.[/quote]

Nice description.

Did you see Red Sparowes at The Croft last time they played?

[quote name='TheRev' post='550380' date='Jul 24 2009, 04:43 PM']I think I missed them...

D&L did some fine stuff at The Cooler on Park Street too. They had Mono playing a year or so back.[/quote]

Check TPSQ out. They're good.

I've been to the Cooler for a few D&L shows. Boris, Om and something I can't remember now...

[quote name='TheButler' post='549927' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:54 AM']Yeah, i'm aware of the ISIS connection :rolleyes: I like all of their stuff really, i just happened to be listening to At the Soundless Dawn when typing this.

I've never seen them live :) However, i've seen Maybeshewill, 65daysofstatic, Mono and Mogwai (twice) so i'm quite a fan of my live post-rock.

I personally love Mogwai's bass as well. On both occasions i saw them i've spoken to Dominic, and he was more than happy to talk about his gear and stuff. He uses Trace Elliot, can't remember which stuff exactly though. When i saw him he only used a midnight blue Rick 4003 and a Jazz. Wiki says he uses a Musicman Sabre, but i can't remember seeing that..[/quote]

He does use a MM, but has modded it with two EMG Humbuckers. Maybe explains the Sabre reference.

[url="http://blogg.svt.se/psl/2008/12/17/prat-med-mogwai/"]http://blogg.svt.se/psl/2008/12/17/prat-med-mogwai/[/url]