Why become a member? ×

Old Stingray

steve-soar

Does anyone know where to get the foam mutes from. I have the sprung steel attatchment but there's no foam.

Also does anyone know how to get rid of the smell of air freshener from the leather strap that came with it? I'm allergic to it and when I played the bass with the strap my lips and tongue started to tingle and swell. I know I could just not use it but it's a great comfy thing.
Saddle soap? :)
Cheers Steve.

Great bass

I [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46161&hl=musicman+stingray+'91"]sold[/url] my 2 band stingray and regretted it so much. When I had the opportunity to buy it back a couple of months later I did. Such a fantastic tone.

Is that strung through the body? When did they stop doing that, anyone know?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='550016' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:44 AM']Hi Rayman, it sounds great, can't wait to play it on Monday at rehearsals.

Off topic a bit, Stockport is a nightmare to get through, heading to Buxton, I've never seen so many traffic lights and speed cameras.[/quote]

:) yeah it's a nightmare isn't it? I hate the place to be honest. I live just off the A6 near the hospital, but I avoid the main drag like the plague, it's like a car park at the best of times. I'd much rather be out in the sticks somewhere, in fact I wouldn't mind Buxton.

That is gorgeous!! and I agree with Nick; don't sell it..

I had a natural 1979 'Ray about 15 years ago and had to sell it because of getting divorced (sold it to Martin Peteresn at The Gallery) and it was a fabulous bass. IMO, the pre-Ernie Ball models do genuinely have something extra special about them.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='549451' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:13 PM']Cheers Martin, it is very nice. Only problem is that new strings need to be without windings to get the silk off the nut grooves.
Sound is amazing, not many choices but massive and meaty tone. :)[/quote]
Don't often see them in that condition . My stingray rear and front loads and strings used to be an issue - just look around , though Elites are all silked from what I've seen . My mate's promised me his pre ernie ball natural one , but only after he's snuffed it . Oh and I heard ' Love and Pride ' on the radio the other day with a nicely prominant early stingray tone if memory serves from concert footage from the 80's . Good song and great tone

The mutes have gone from my ray, but they are still on my sabre and I reckon the old black and decker flat sander had an adhesive pad made of charcoal coloured sponge of around the same density that had a self adhesive back on it and I had a strip of it to use as replacment damper pads, guess what..I cant find it, i'll go for another look and send you a strip if I can find it.

[quote name='nig' post='555105' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:15 PM']The mutes have gone from my ray, but they are still on my sabre and I reckon the old black and decker flat sander had an adhesive pad made of charcoal coloured sponge of around the same density that had a self adhesive back on it and I had a strip of it to use as replacment damper pads, guess what..I cant find it, i'll go for another look and send you a strip if I can find it.[/quote]That's very thoughtful of you Sir. :)