Why become a member? ×

Hartke Whistle !

Johngh

I have a Hartke HA3500 amp. With the D.I. connected its started to whistle through the PA, either with the post DI EQ signal switch in or out.
If I stand with my bass square to the rig its fine, if I point my bass away from the rig it whistles through the PA. I've tried a different DI lead and a different bass and a different bass, and the whistle is still there. The rig is set up through the same PA I use every week so it could be something in the system. Its as if the bass is acting as an antenna to pick something up. We have also turned off all the mikes we use including wireless.
If I take the DI lead out of the amp, the amp is fine. I used the amp a few weeks ago at an outdoor
gig where we got the power through a generator, I used the DI then. Given the recent threads about power surges when using generators, has this got anything to do with my unwanted whistle suddenly appearing.

Edited by Johngh

1) Does the whistle go away if you turn down the volume control(s) of whatever bass is plugged in? If it does, then most likely it's just some environmental interference being picked up by the bass itself, and you'll just have to live with it. If it doesn't, then the problem's either in the amp or the lead connecting the bass to the amp.

2) Does the whistle appear regardless of where you're playing - at every gig, etc - or have you only noticed it at one particular venue/rehearsal space? If it occurs in only one place, then some new piece of electrical equipment in the local vicinity (in a neighbouring building...a mobile phone mast...anything!) is putting out interference. If it happens everywhere you play, then it's more likely to be indicative of a fault with your amp or cable.

As to why it only appears on the PA: I'm guessing here, but if it's a high-pitched whistle, it may only appear to be coming out of the PA because your own rig's speakers aren't able to reproduce frequencies that high - or maybe the output stage of your amp is managing somehow to filter it out.

You're not alone! When I'm at home, the bridge p/up of my Rick 4003 (single coil, non-humbucking) picks up a weird high-pitched sound like someone playing a spooky diminished chord on a Hammond organ with vibrato. It's been over two years now, and I've never been able to establish where it's coming from! :)

Edited by Oxblood

[quote name='Oxblood' post='58084' date='Sep 10 2007, 11:05 AM']1) Does the whistle go away if you turn down the volume control(s) of whatever bass is plugged in? If it does, then most likely it's just some environmental interference being picked up by the bass itself, and you'll just have to live with it. If it doesn't, then the problem's either in the amp or the lead connecting the bass to the amp.

2) Does the whistle appear regardless of where you're playing - at every gig, etc - or have you only noticed it at one particular venue/rehearsal space? If it occurs in only one place, then some new piece of electrical equipment in the local vicinity (in a neighbouring building...a mobile phone mast...anything!) is putting out interference. If it happens everywhere you play, then it's more likely to be indicative of a fault with your amp or cable.

As to why it only appears on the PA: I'm guessing here, but if it's a high-pitched whistle, it may only appear to be coming out of the PA because your own rig's speakers aren't able to reproduce frequencies that high - or maybe the output stage of your amp is managing somehow to filter it out.

You're not alone! When I'm at home, the bridge p/up of my Rick 4003 (single coil, non-humbucking) picks up a weird high-pitched sound like someone playing a spooky diminished chord on a Hammond organ with vibrato. It's been over two years now, and I've never been able to establish where it's coming from! :)[/quote]

1. The whistle does go away when I turn the volume down on the bass, I've tried 2 basses now and its the same on both.

2. I'm only playing at the same venue at the moment, I'm due to play a different venue in a couple of weeks time, so I'll see if I get the same whistle there !