Why become a member? ×

HELP! POD X3 Live - Problem when using with an amp

xilddx

In rehearsal I have to plug my X3 Live into the studio's Behringer stack (I know, I know, but it's ok for a rehearsal).

I take a 1/4 inch lead out and into the Behringer head, in the X3 menu I pan the 1/4 outputs to centre and set to stack, set the "Live" switch to "Amp".

I get a horrible under-powered wimpy slightly distorted sound. There's nothing wrong with the amp. What am I doing wrong? Can't find a solution in the manual.

Thanks for any help.

Have you turned off speaker emulation?

Or RTFM :)

1. Connect 1/4-inch output(s) to your amp or speaker system.
2. Set the first OUTPUTS page (1/4-inch Outputs):
• Mode: Combo Front, Combo Pwramp, Stack Front, or Stack PwrAmp.
• Lows, Focus, Highs: as desired
• Tone 1: On
• Tone 1 Pan: Center
• Tone 2: On
• Tone 2 Pan: Center
3. Check your Master Volume.
• Select the loudest preset/settings you intend to use.
• Play your instrument and turn Master Volume as high as you can without clipping
the amp/speakers you’re feeding.

Edited by Spartacus

[quote name='coasterbass' post='549185' date='Jul 23 2009, 05:18 PM']Does the X3 have a small twiddle knob on the back for output level like the XT ? You could try this.
Also you could run directly into the amp's FX return, bypassing the preamp stage, which might get a more balanced response.[/quote]

Thats the one. Set the X3 to 'StackPwrAmp' if you do that.

[quote name='Spartacus' post='549174' date='Jul 23 2009, 05:12 PM']Have you turned off speaker emulation?

Or RTFM :)

1. Connect 1/4-inch output(s) to your amp or speaker system.
2. Set the first OUTPUTS page (1/4-inch Outputs):
• Mode: Combo Front, Combo Pwramp, Stack Front, or Stack PwrAmp.
• Lows, Focus, Highs: as desired
• Tone 1: On
• Tone 1 Pan: Center
• Tone 2: On
• Tone 2 Pan: Center
3. Check your Master Volume.
• Select the loudest preset/settings you intend to use.
• Play your instrument and turn Master Volume as high as you can without clipping
the amp/speakers you’re feeding.[/quote]

Thanks Spart.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Although I just noticed my main patch was set to combo front, wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference though.

Strange huh?

[quote name='silddx' post='549279' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:50 PM']Thanks Spart.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Although I just noticed my main patch was set to combo front, wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference though.

Strange huh?[/quote]

Would probbaly make a big difference as the 'combofront' setting has a lot of preshaping, bottom and top boost. Best to use the 'PwrAmp' settings and go straight into the 'Power Amp In' or 'FX Return' on the amp as itll take the behringers awful preamp out of the signal chain.

[quote name='Spartacus' post='549283' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:56 PM']Would probbaly make a big difference as the 'combofront' setting has a lot of preshaping, bottom and top boost. Best to use the 'PwrAmp' settings and go straight into the 'Power Amp In' or 'FX Return' on the amp as itll take the behringers awful preamp out of the signal chain.[/quote]

That's a VERY good point :)

Thanks mate, greatly appreciated.

"Turn the output volume control ALL the way up for the best signal to noise ratio" (on the X3) - and don't forget that if the inputs you are using on the behringer are 'line' level, switch the output of the X3 to 'line' not 'amp'. You will get a very hot signal from the X3 (as long as your patches are configured correctly). Use the gain control on the behringer channel to reign in the signal if need be. If your signal is TOO hot and causing the input section of the behringer to distort (as opposed to making the output section of the X3 distort) then you may need to start pulling back the output of the X3 using the volume control.

for info, I set the master volume control to *only* set the DI out put and have the 1/4" signal as strong as possible, especially if I have to use long cable runs.

[quote name='dood' post='550251' date='Jul 24 2009, 02:49 PM']"Turn the output volume control ALL the way up for the best signal to noise ratio" (on the X3) - and don't forget that if the inputs you are using on the behringer are 'line' level, switch the output of the X3 to 'line' not 'amp'. You will get a very hot signal from the X3 (as long as your patches are configured correctly). Use the gain control on the behringer channel to reign in the signal if need be. If your signal is TOO hot and causing the input section of the behringer to distort (as opposed to making the output section of the X3 distort) then you may need to start pulling back the output of the X3 using the volume control.

for info, I set the master volume control to *only* set the DI out put and have the 1/4" signal as strong as possible, especially if I have to use long cable runs.[/quote]

Superb, thanks Dan. I'll check my levels, although master vol is full on, the patch is -8db to balance with some other lower output patches so maybe I'll change that to 0db and see if it makes a difference.

The weird thing is, the gain meter needle didn't even twitch on Behringer. I checked with the bass direct to amp and it worked fine. Got to be my output levels then.

It was my first rehearsal with Kit Richarson and it was BUSY. Never really got a chance to look at stuff and make changes, so I blanked the X3 for most of it and just used the amp. Those Behringers sound horrible, a fart in a tin cup compared to the knackered old Traces they used to have there.

I'll see how we go on Sunday.

Thanks again all.

And make sure you're not accidentally running a TRS balanced line into an amp that's expecting a TS connection. Actually, I don't know if it'd make a difference, but everything's worth looking at. :)

Nice new avatar, BTW. But it does confuse me -- I don't "recognise" you! Just shows how much we rely on subconscious visual cues for recognition.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='550972' date='Jul 25 2009, 11:15 AM']And make sure you're not accidentally running a TRS balanced line into an amp that's expecting a TS connection. Actually, I don't know if it'd make a difference, but everything's worth looking at. :)

Nice new avatar, BTW. But it does confuse me -- I don't "recognise" you! Just shows how much we rely on subconscious visual cues for recognition.[/quote]

Weird how that works isn't it!

Thanks re the cable. Two core 1/4 inch jack only.