Why become a member? ×

Just been ripped off on EBay

Cat Burrito

I tried to buy my first cab of ebay, a peavey tvx 4x0, after winning it for only 100 and being told before hand it would be posted for 40. I waited like 2 weeks, then he wanted 150 to post it to me, i got so annoyed and really worried as it was my mums credit card and not mine etc. But i got my money back.

Good luck with getting your money back.

PS, if you use a 3v card paypal cant charge you.

[quote name='silddx' post='548392' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:08 PM']Might be a good idea to remove that mobile number mate.

Otherwise, looks friendly enough. Paypal naturally prefer you sort the situation out between you.[/quote]

Point taken & edit done - it was only live for a couple of minutes. Just interesting that a mysterious 3rd party has suddenly come into the picture.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='548399' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:12 PM']Just interesting that a mysterious 3rd party has suddenly come into the picture.[/quote]

You mean the Partner?

Quite simply, he might not do Ebay.

For the moment, I wouldn't worry about that.

UPDATE - I've had a fairly lengthy call with EBay and I've explained the differences in the product received and the one bought. I also mentioned the fact I paid £25 for a 24 rapid despatch only to receive a box with Royal Mail 24 on it a week later (this was the moment I seemed to win them over!).

After being on hold for a couple of minutes whilst the girl spoke with a supervisor I've now been informed that I will get a full refund from EBay within 3 working days and I can keep the item received. I don't wish to celebrate until I get my money back but in theory it seems like a right result!

Interestingy the seller still has a bass for sale so EBay need to get their act together a little quicker before some other poor sap gets fleeced.

[quote name='Sibob' post='548740' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:43 AM']Just out of interest, did you remove the neck to see if there was a serial number there?

Si[/quote]

No, I don't need to. Aside the fact that not one single Basschatter has spoken up in defence of this being genuine it simply isn't an official CIJ product. There are simply too many differences. I currently own 2 CIJ basses, I've previously owned 2 more and I've played a stack more of others. I wasn't prepared to tamper with the product in any way.

I suspect this is still far from over (I've had no email confirmation of the call & the seller is still selling) so I've won the latest round.

I appreciate all the messages of support from everyone over the last 24hrs - especially as I'm a relative newbie compared to most.

Sounds like a result, if it happens ...
Then off to Ishibashi with you
[url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/[/url]

put PB70 in the search box on the left
They have a variety right now.
Shipping's about £100, add about 20% of the selling price plus shipping to cover the duty, VAT and handling fee and that's near enough what it will cost.
Takes about 2 weeks to arrive.

Reliable company and good stuff.

Plenty of images there to see the features of a real Japanese 70's RI

If you do try to buy one from them, though, it pays to get up early when they are still at work to put a hold on the one you fancy.

[quote name='silddx' post='547969' date='Jul 22 2009, 06:44 PM']I'm so suspicious of ebay these days. You should have no problem getting your money back though.

Hate to say this but maybe you should have posted the link on here before you bought it, but I guess that's inviting in the competition :)

Feel for you.[/quote]

Is there a way we can all help each other here? We look at adverts on Loot, Friday Ad, Gumtree, Preloved, Ebay etc and then wish we could run something passed somebody knowledgeable to get an informed opinion without alerting the whole world.

Perhaps we could have an agreed list of experts who are willing to offer some sort of review service to fellow BC'ers - on the understanding that it's only their advice, no legal comebacks, could be wrong etc. Using Private Messages, we can then send the experts adverts, photos and what have you for comment. Have to trust each other a bit too.

Just a thought.

Steve

Well done on persevering and getting the result you wanted. :)

I'm still waiting for my refund for the faulty power amp that I returned to the seller 10 days ago. His emails are very few and far between. The last being 3 days ago saying he has tested the amp, found it faulty and asked if I prefered a cheque or Paypal refund. I stated the latter! (I had already told him this in a previous email to him).

I have raised a case with paypal as he is so slow on responding and I'm getting pi**ed off with the delay. I have said to him I want the refund sorted by this weekend. We'll see what happens. I think he is dragging it out and won't actually refund me.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='548286' date='Jul 22 2009, 10:50 PM']At present EBay haven't withdrawn the seller. Anyone smell a rat with this?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-Deluxe_W0QQitemZ270430451241QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3ef6e93629&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A25"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...%3A1%7C294%3A25[/url]

Did I hear someone say "Squier"? 4th bass sold in recent weeks having never traded in them before![/quote]
Yep, looks like a bog standard Squier Precision Special to me.

Mexican Fender Deluxe Precisions have active electronics with four pots, not three, and a plastic "gold anodized" pickguard. They are available in Europe and never ever did they cost 1.200 dollars new. :)

I'd be quite frankly amazed if ebay refund you and allow you to keep the bass! :)

I've plenty of ebay experience and of being conned/mis sold items and the scenario these days is that if ebay/paypal find in your favour, they hold the funds and refund you when you return the item to the seller. Unfortunately you will invariably be out of pocket to the tune of the return carriage (correct; though you have done no wrong and they have tried to fleece you, the cost of return carriage is 'your' responsibility).

However, I'd love for it to be true that you do get to keep it but that would leave ebay wide open to litigation. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='549225' date='Jul 23 2009, 05:57 PM']What happens if the seller claims the product was damaged when returned?[/quote]

A protracted battle begins! :)

Always best to take photographs etc of how the bass was before sending, package it securely and ensure that you send it insured.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='549230' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:03 PM']Always best to take photographs etc of how the bass was before sending, package it securely and ensure that you send it insured.[/quote]

Then chuck it down the concrete steps after the pictures are taken? :)

Sorry to hear of you being scammed and glad that it has been sorted.

Paypal and ebay have got their act together on these issues although the proceedure is rather long winded.
Any item that is not as it was described will virtually qualify automatically for a refund. Just remember secondhand goods are treated different and if a seller describes an item as "mint" paypal view this as subjective and will generally rule in the favor of the seller if you find a tiny scratch for example on a bass, or a small dent. They allow for due wear and tear on secondhand goods irrespective of how they are described so be careful if you want a "mint" secondhand bass.
Obviously misleading statements are treated as such and remember to leave well alone if you get a bad feeling about a certain item.

Several people have stated that you only get a refund if the money is still in the persons paypal account. This is incorrect if the seller has "Paypal Protection"
When you raise a dispute with paypal as a buyer they immediately put your payment on hold irrespective of whether the seller has any money in their paypal account. If they have a zero balance and the amount is say £500.00 then their paypal account will immediately show (minus) - £500.00.

They then contact the seller who has 20 days to offer you a refund. If the seller offers you a refund take photos of the item and send it back insured with a signed for service and very well packed.
Once the seller has received it back , and has informed paypal you will get a refund. If you still don't get a refund all you need do is provide paypal with proof of delivery and you will get your refund.

If a seller refuses to give a refund you can escalate the proceedure and paypal will ask for more details from both the buyer and seller and then make a ruling on the case. Generally this is in favor of the buyer, but in my dispute case with a Hong Kong buyer with secondhand goods worth £780.00 paypal ruled in my case and the buyer did not get a refund.

If the seller does a runner and was covered by paypal protection you will still get a refund and paypal will persue the seller through legal channels.

I have found them to be very professional in these matters although the time scale could be speeded up.

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Prosebass' post='549282' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:55 PM']Sorry to hear of you being scammed and glad that it has been sorted.

Paypal and ebay have got their act together on these issues although the proceedure is rather long winded.
Any item that is not as it was described will virtually qualify automatically for a refund. Just remember secondhand goods are treated different and if a seller describes an item as "mint" paypal view this as subjective and will generally rule in the favor of the seller if you find a tiny scratch for example on a bass, or a small dent. They allow for due wear and tear on secondhand goods irrespective of how they are described so be careful if you want a "mint" secondhand bass.
Obviously misleading statements are treated as such and remember to leave well alone if you get a bad feeling about a certain item.

Several people have stated that you only get a refund if the money is still in the persons paypal account. This is incorrect if the seller has "Paypal Protection"
When you raise a dispute with paypal as a buyer they immediately put your payment on hold irrespective of whether the seller has any money in their paypal account. If they have a zero balance and the amount is say £500.00 then their paypal account will immediately show (minus) - £500.00.

They then contact the seller who has 20 days to offer you a refund. If the seller offers you a refund take photos of the item and send it back insured with a signed for service and very well packed.
Once the seller has received it back , and has informed paypal you will get a refund. If you still don't get a refund all you need do is provide paypal with proof of delivery and you will get your refund.

If a seller refuses to give a refund you can escalate the proceedure and paypal will ask for more details from both the buyer and seller and then make a ruling on the case. Generally this is in favor of the buyer, but in my dispute case with a Hong Kong buyer with secondhand goods worth £780.00 paypal ruled in my case and the buyer did not get a refund.

If the seller does a runner and was covered by paypal protection you will still get a refund and paypal will persue the seller through legal channels.

I have found them to be very professional in these matters although the time scale could be speeded up.[/quote]

Eloquently and succinctly put. :rolleyes:

I'd add that you must NEVER give the seller a bit of slack, particularly with regard to timings for making/escalating claims; just get on and do it regardless of how genuine the seller is or sounds. With your money refunded it is much better to look back on the whole affair and decide if the seller was genuine, than it is to grind your teeth and wish; 'what if?', when you have no money and time has run out.

Sorry to sound hard-nosed and anti-seller but my knowledge/experience is hard won! :)

Thanks for the replies, especially Prosebass for the detail which may prove useful to other Basschatters as well. Oh & Soulfinger wins the "Spot the delibrate mistake" with the Sellers other listing (which EBay have now suspended 29hrs after I raised this! Sadly I share Warwickhunts doubts as to how simple this will be to go away. I'll phone EBay in the morning as the free bass & money option didn't seem right. Watch this space as I'm sure I'll be posting again on this thread.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='549656' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:20 AM']Sadly I share Warwickhunts doubts as to how simple this will be to go away. I'll phone EBay in the morning as the free bass & money option didn't seem right. Watch this space as I'm sure I'll be posting again on this thread.[/quote]

It would be a great lesson for the scammers though
Try it on and loose your money and your goods