Why become a member? ×

Making the best rig for around $800!

two1frets

Hey,

First off, I would like to say that I love the basschat forums. They've helped me a lot.

Ok, down to business. This will be my first rig, because I've been mooching off of my dads gear. I have a budget of around $800 dollars, give or take 100. The style that I am into right now is slap bass, which I am playing on a Sting '51 Tele P Bass (I know this isn't the best bass for this style!) I've been looking into some gear, but I'm not 100% sure, so I'd like some of your own opinions. In addition, [b]please do not suggest to buy used gear![/b] Preferably, I would like the gear to be a seperate head and cab, but that's not mandatory. Thanks, and I hope we can find the best gear for around $800! :)

Thanks,

two1frets

[quote name='two1frets' post='543962' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:42 PM']Hey,

First off, I would like to say that I love the basschat forums. They've helped me a lot.

Ok, down to business. This will be my first rig, because I've been mooching off of my dads gear. I have a budget of around $800 dollars, give or take 100. The style that I am into right now is slap bass, which I am playing on a Sting '51 Tele P Bass (I know this isn't the best bass for this style!) I've been looking into some gear, but I'm not 100% sure, so I'd like some of your own opinions. In addition, [b]please do not suggest to buy used gear![/b] Preferably, I would like the gear to be a seperate head and cab, but that's not mandatory. Thanks, and I hope we can find the best gear for around $800! :)

Thanks,

two1frets[/quote]

Did you post this topic on TalkBass as well?

[quote name='two1frets' post='544018' date='Jul 18 2009, 02:53 PM']Yes, but that's besides the point. I'm just hoping to get a bunch of opinions.[/quote]

I'm not criticising you for that, I just thought the topic was familiar. It's always good to get opinions from all corners of the web.

[quote name='two1frets' post='544022' date='Jul 18 2009, 02:58 PM']Thanks yituool, do you have a suggestion of an amp or cab?[/quote]

I'm a bit of a newbie to bass tbh, I haven't really dabbled in the complicated world of heads and cabs, I just like sticking with combos :)

I'm not sure how relevant any advice we could give would be because the range of gear available over here is much more limited than what's available in the USA.

Browsing some of the big US retailers websites is almost enough to make anyone living in Europe cry. The sheer amount of choice and low prices beats any retailer over here with the exception of maybe Thomann, although I haven't done a direct comparison of prices.

Having a quick look here [url="http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/bass-amplifiers?N=100001+338527&Ns=P_Price%7c0&page=4&rpp=20"]http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/na...ge=4&rpp=20[/url] You've got a choice of GK Backline, Eden Nemesis, Ashdown MAG, Hartke, Acoustic, Kustom and Peavey, all available from one shop, and all of which would make a pretty respectable first rig. These are all good budget makes.

Maybe approaching it from a different angle, find out what's available in your area or within your price range and then ask opinions. Also we are all a bit in the dark about the quality of the big American retailers. You see lots of GC bashing on TB but what about Musicians Friend, Bass Northwest etc?

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='544056' date='Jul 18 2009, 03:28 PM']Also why not second hand, you could get more for your money.[/quote]

Then again it's hard to recommend specific second hand gear, as it all depends on what's being sold.

Either way, I personally like browsing used gear as I can't afford to shell out for new gear.

Yeah, the gear over here in Europe is pretty limited. In fact, there is practically one store in Austria, therefore I am cornered into buying from it. But I used to live in the US, and receive the Musicians Friend magazine, and go to Guitar Center frequently. I have been using the musicians friend website for a bunch of research too.

Another idea: Hartke LH500 and Ampeg SVT-410HLF. This combo would be the same price as the Hydrive 410... What do you think?

Feel free to keep on posting your opinions.

Thanks for the website!

The prices are cheaper in Austria, at a store called Klangfarbe (That's only because there's no shipping, and I get all the tax back since we're diplomats)

Still open for opinions! How about a Hartke LH500 and an Ampeg SVT-410HLF?

Right. Youre in Europe (Austria) and want to buy in $s but are asking on a Brit forum where we deal in £s. This could get confusing for you as since the credit crunch weve seen everything go up whether imported from the US or Europe.

If you have something in mind and its in your budget then why not run it past us or you could get lots of recommendations for stuff thats out of your budget. That said the www.thomann.de site is very close to UK prices in most cases so its a good yardstick to use.

Ok, I'll just clear some things up.

I live in Austria
I will be buying in Euros
My price range is 700 to 900 Euros
I cannot buy used as there is nobody to buy from
I like to play slap bass

Some amps and cabs I have in mind:

GK 400RB II
Hartke LH500
Ampeg B-1RE
SVT-450H
Markbass Little Mark 250
Peavy Tour 700
Warwick Profet 5.2

Ampeg SVT-410HLF
GK Neo 410
Hartke Hydrive 410

I am open to any suggestions, whether they be on this list or not. These amps and cabs are the ones I mainly checked out. Although, I have been slightly leaning towards the Ampeg 410...

Suggestions? :)

Edited by two1frets