Why become a member? ×

It just goes to show..

Paul_C

I had to lend some cymbals to a mate tonight, and I stuck around to listen to his band.

The bass player was using a Little Mark II head into a Hartke 4x10 cab, and playing a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass.

It sounded fantastic.

I'm fairly sure that unless you're a player with specific tonal needs, there is no reason why most gigging bassists need to throw vast amounts of money at a bass when most modern lower end gear is so good.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='543690' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:10 AM']The bass player was using a Little Mark II head into a Hartke 4x10 cab, and playing a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass.

It sounded fantastic.

I'm fairly sure that unless you're a player with specific tonal needs, there is no reason why most gigging bassists need to throw vast amounts of money at a bass when most modern lower end gear is so good.[/quote]
Definitely.

One of the growliest, punchiest live bass sounds I´ve heard recently came out of a Squier Precision Special - that´s the cheapest PJ they make - with replacement pickups (don´t know what make - they had double blades instead of pole pieces). It was played through a GK Diesel Dawg into an Ashdown MAG amp + 4x10. Sounded killer.

I went to see my mate's band last week-The Bucket Boys. These boys have musical cred coming out their ears-their lead guitarist has played with Pink Floyd (my other mate who was with me can testify to this-he saw him with them 20 years ago at Wembley), thier drummer has done some pretty impressive session work, and played on at least one big hit in the 60's. Their bass player was using a Sunn Mustang (looked exactly like a Precision) through a Behringer combo-about 100W I would guess-and looked to be cranking it pretty hard, with no PA support. Sounded great.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='544353' date='Jul 18 2009, 09:48 PM']I went to see my mate's band last week-The Bucket Boys. These boys have musical cred coming out their ears-their lead guitarist has played with Pink Floyd (my other mate who was with me can testify to this-he saw him with them 20 years ago at Wembley), thier drummer has done some pretty impressive session work, and played on at least one big hit in the 60's. Their bass player was using a Sunn Mustang (looked exactly like a Precision) through a Behringer combo-about 100W I would guess-and looked to be cranking it pretty hard, with no PA support. Sounded great.[/quote]

I saw the Bucket Boys last year in St Ives. You are on about Tim Renwick who played with the Floyd, The bass player had an upright bass if i remember corectly and they were all very professional, great band.

I was using a Squier Jazz strung with LaBella flats in my Ska band until recently, because we were mostly going for an old '60s Jamaican sound, but I had to switch back to my Thumb when we started coming up with more modern-sounding material. I'm still considering the practicalities of using both throughout the set because the Squier sounds awesome on stuff that's more rootsy.

I should say though the pickups are flat as a pancake and the tone knob does barely anything, it's really not a nice-sounding bass but for that '60s sound it's absolutely fine. And it plays lovely - structurally it's as good a Jazz as I've ever played from Fender.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='544353' date='Jul 18 2009, 09:48 PM']I went to see my mate's band last week-The Bucket Boys. These boys have musical cred coming out their ears-their lead guitarist has played with Pink Floyd (my other mate who was with me can testify to this-he saw him with them 20 years ago at Wembley), thier drummer has done some pretty impressive session work, and played on at least one big hit in the 60's. Their bass player was using a Sunn Mustang (looked exactly like a Precision) through a Behringer combo-about 100W I would guess-and looked to be cranking it pretty hard, with no PA support. Sounded great.[/quote]

I was playing at ones of those multiple band charity gigs the other week and was suitably horrified to find a Behringer as the provided bass rig. Needless to say it sounded fantastic. Sigh!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='544678' date='Jul 19 2009, 01:49 PM']I was playing at ones of those multiple band charity gigs the other week and was suitably horrified to find a Behringer as the provided bass rig. Needless to say it sounded fantastic. Sigh![/quote]

I played in Stockport recently and was equally dismayed to find myself playing through a H|H 2x15 and one of their ancient bass heads. It sounded great. One of the best amp and bass combinations I've heard recently was a put together precision (squier body, cheap maple jazz neck and kent armstrong pickup) through a real sh*tty Laney bass amp with just volume / bass / mid / treble knobs. I have never heard a better precision sound. It was identical to the 70s John Deacon type sound on Dragon Attack and sounded real nice. Total cost of entire set-up was about £200.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='545024' date='Jul 19 2009, 11:27 PM']Opposite end of the spectrum, I've played through an Ampeg SVT a couple of times recently and I really didn't like it. That's a hanging offence in some places. :)[/quote]
Including here. Don't bother trying to get the coat... :rolleyes: :lol: :D

[quote name='spinynorman' post='545024' date='Jul 20 2009, 12:27 AM']Opposite end of the spectrum, I've played through an Ampeg SVT a couple of times recently and I really didn't like it. That's a hanging offence in some places. :)[/quote]
I recently got the chance to directly compare an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro /4x10 and a Hartke 3500 / 4x10XL. I really dug the Hartke setup and didn´t like the Ampeg rig at all...

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='545071' date='Jul 20 2009, 06:10 AM']I recently got the chance to directly compare an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro /4x10 and a Hartke 3500 / 4x10XL. I really dug the Hartke setup and didn´t like the Ampeg rig at all...[/quote]

My usual rig is a Hartke 3500 too, but with Ashdown 1x15 and 2x10. Guess we're both set for the gallows. :)

[quote name='spinynorman' post='547621' date='Jul 22 2009, 02:43 PM']My usual rig is a Hartke 3500 too, but with Ashdown 1x15 and 2x10. Guess we're both set for the gallows. :)[/quote]

That's because Ashdown stuff sounds too muddy and Hartke's aluminium cones sound too tinny so they cancel each other out :rolleyes:

I played a gig in Nottingham a few years ago. The sound guy played me a recording of a band who'd played there the night before. The bass sound was unbelievable...like a Jaco sound on steroids. I emailed the band asking what gear the bassist used. Turned out to be a cheap Stingray copy and an old Peavey combo. Oh well...

[quote name='beerdragon' post='544405' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:57 PM']I saw the Bucket Boys last year in St Ives. You are on about Tim Renwick who played with the Floyd, The bass player had an upright bass if i remember corectly and they were all very professional, great band.[/quote]
Tim Renwick! Floyd schmoyd, he played with Sutherland Brothers and Quiver! Serious esoteric class!!

[quote name='pete.young' post='548349' date='Jul 22 2009, 10:32 PM']Tim Renwick! Floyd schmoyd, he played with Sutherland Brothers and Quiver! Serious esoteric class!![/quote]

Wikipedia says....

[i]In 1984, Renwick toured with Roger Waters during his The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking tour. In 1987, David Gilmour invited Renwick to tour with Pink Floyd as a session musician, and recordings from the August 1988 shows were released in the double live album Delicate Sound of Thunder. This makes Renwick, along with Michael Kamen, Patrick Leonard and Jon Carin, one of the few musicians who performed with both Waters and the band after their split.[/i]

TBH... I'd never heard of the dude.