Why become a member? ×

Bass shops in York

Raggy

[quote name='xgsjx' post='543301' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:25 PM']I'm off to York at the end of Sept & hope there's somewhere 1/2 decent (surely there must be).[/quote]

There's M.O.R. Music on Fossgate (or Walmgate or whatever it's called at that end) which only sells budget basses, cheap copies of Stingrays and P-basses, and frankly I don't trust the owner, and everything in there is overpriced.

There's Bulmers right next to Monk Bar on the corner of Lord Mayor's Walk which usually has some Vintage or Stagg basses in but operates as a sort-of Smack Converters so it's mostly full of used mobiles and games consoles.

And there's Banks' ...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='543307' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:31 PM']There's a big music shop on a couple of floors in what used to be some sort of bank. I think it's near GAP or something?[/quote]

... which I think is what he's talking about, it's next to the post office on Lendal and they mostly sell score and student orchestral instruments. If they do have a bass guitar in there it will be a cheap one, like in the other two shops.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='543325' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:58 PM']There's M.O.R. Music on Fossgate (or Walmgate or whatever it's called at that end) which only sells budget basses, cheap copies of Stingrays and P-basses, and frankly I don't trust the owner, and everything in there is overpriced.[/quote]

in it's previous incarnation I would have agreed with you, but since it changed hands it's been a great improvement on what it used to be and they guy who runs the place now is really nice. Never had any problems with them, and whilst some things are a little overpriced, it is a shop and the prices I see in there aren't much different from shops I've been to in leeds etc..

Basically there's not much good around here if you're a bassist. I think the nearest half decent bass place would be in doncaster.

The op is better off forgetting about bases if he's coming up here.

[quote name='bumfrog' post='543387' date='Jul 17 2009, 04:54 PM']in it's previous incarnation I would have agreed with you, but since it changed hands it's been a great improvement on what it used to be and they guy who runs the place now is really nice. Never had any problems with them,[/quote]

I've had him do a couple of deals for me in the past, but recently he tried to sell me an instrument cable when I wanted a speaker cable, by trying to tell me they were exactly the same.

I think he means well most of the time, but I've no idea why he was so desperate to sell a cable that he'd tell a story like that.

Best thing to do is pop up a bit further up the A1 and Meet my mate Jim Fleeting,and just have a nice oogle at his workshop and watch him building his creations...you might even get a cup of coffee..

If you want 'Boutique'.....There isnt much bar Electro in Donny,or some occasionally freaky vintage in Cas (Galaxy...Old Ricky 2003 for £695).

Customers like it simple round here,hense Leeds and the BIG cities excluding Bradders have always been a Punk/Indie...and those with a bent on the different style and 'boutique' taste tend to track down the custom luthiers...Fleeting,Haigh etc etc..of which there are many (or they get on a train to Manc...Thats what the Poles do).

Edited by ARGH

The old Sound Control in Leeds (its either PMT or Reverb now, can't remember which) is OK, but not a huge range of bass stock. Music Ground in Leeds can have some interesting vintage stuuf - at a price!

The best bet by far in Yorkshire is Electro music in Doncaster. Fantastic range of basses - when I was last there the stock included Fender, Musicman, Warwick, Sandberg, Yamaha, and Ibanez plus some nice used gear. And a good range of amps as well. To top it all the staff are helpful, and actually let you play stuff!. Well worth a detour on your way up there.