Why become a member? ×

Where are the Zons

ape

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1417979359' post='2625716']
Woah, that blue one looks fantastic Bob!

[/quote]

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1418054669' post='2626333']
That finish is just a thing of beauty, just WOW :o
[/quote]
Thank you.

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1417979359' post='2625716']
What pickups are in the black Sonus?
[/quote]
The pickups are a humbucker designed by Duncan to Zons specs. Standard in the 4-1 & 4-2.

I think I've owned two of the Sonuses (Sonii?) on here. Definitely owned the striped maple top that Warwick had too (bought it from a BC'er from Essex, sold it about two years later to a BC'er from...can't remember). And I think the black (actually kind of see though) fretless that Skinner posted used to be mine too (although I thought it had fret lines).

Miss them both very much. Alongside a 5 string Sadowsky, that was my ideal combination of basses. :(

Here's a rather unique Legacy Elite 5 fretless. An unusual single pickup version built in 1988 for a well known UK pro player and used on many sessions and albums. Flamed koa top over poplar body. EQ has been professionally replaced with a Stingray 3-band (original pro owner prefers the SR frequency centres to the stock Zon eq). Sings like a bird. A bit too much for me to be honest, I'm more of a plunker!

Will be putting it up for sale shortly. I feel more at home on an old P or J these days (getting old!)

[url="http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/iankay/media/Zon%20Legacy%20Elite/IMG_1892.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by ikay

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No. I put some effort in for a while. And did start making headway. I got part way into "the enormous room" before putting it away. I love having it, and who knows maybe one day I'll make a second attempt to master it... But for now it's a "stay at home/bedroom bass".
The six string is beautiful sounding and very usable! In fact I've gigged it quite a few times when I've been depping in bands that fit the fretless mojo.

Picture to follow if I can find how you do it...

Edited by GremlinAndy

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. 1994 Sonus 5 here. Awesome bass. Very articulate yet warm sounding, absolutely love it.

It has a Bartolini two band pre-amp which I use with the low end at 75% and the pickup volumes
at 100% / 80% emphasizing the neck pickup most of the time for some more growly mids.

[attachment=214070:Sonus1.jpg]

[attachment=214071:Sonus2.jpg]

[attachment=214072:Sonus3.jpg]

[attachment=214073:Sonus4.jpg]

Edited by DiMarco

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Having watched many of Mr.Clayton’s videos, I now have an unexpected and compelling urge to get a Zon Sonus.

I know nothing about them, how much they cost and what their spec are, but his just sounds so good.

Yes, I know it’s all in his hands 😜

I've had 3 Sonus basses and I'm looking for another!  :)  re. spec; they have a broad range of preamp and pup combos with choices of body wood tops... but none of them will be cheap!  ;)