Why become a member? ×

Your thoughts on old Peavey Mark III series Bass Head+cab

razze06

Hello folks,

I'm looking to try and possibly buy [url="http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/01/41660001.html"]this[/url], what do you people think?
I was looking for an alternative to my hartke kickback combo for larger (or louder) gigs, but i am worried that this might be too heavy to carry up a few flights of stairs... However, the price is tempting, and i think it would go really well with my recently-acquired-here T-40...

Incidentally, if any of you recognises the cab, please let me know.

Cheers,
Marco

I played through a shared rig that was very similar to that at a gig a few weeks ago - 2x15 with a mark 5 head. It sounded absolutely fantastic with all the bands, even the guy who was playing a cheap Wesley stingray-a-like. The only reason I wouldn't consider one is the thought of trying to shift that 2x15 about.

I've no idea how similar the mark 3 and mark 5 are, but they look identical as I remember it.

[quote name='Musky' post='541975' date='Jul 16 2009, 09:49 AM']The only reason I wouldn't consider one is the thought of trying to shift that 2x15 about.[/quote]

That is also my concern. If the head is nice enough, I might keep it, sell/give away/dismantle/burn the cab and start looking for something like a lightweight 2x12 or so...

The Mark 111 series (and also the Mark 4 come to think of it) had a different layout to the Mark 5 IIRC.

That deal for the whole setup is so good - get it!

Had a Mark 111 years ago and it was a belter! The cabs were okay too (even better with Black Widow spkrs which were an option),
and with the build quality being so bomb-proof would be okay if you needed to upgrade the drivers at a later date.
Will blow your Hartke away-just get a mate to help you with the stairs though....

[quote name='casapete' post='542350' date='Jul 16 2009, 03:55 PM']The Mark 111 series (and also the Mark 4 come to think of it) had a different layout to the Mark 5 IIRC.

That deal for the whole setup is so good - get it!

Had a Mark 111 years ago and it was a belter! The cabs were okay too (even better with Black Widow spkrs which were an option),
and with the build quality being so bomb-proof would be okay if you needed to upgrade the drivers at a later date.
Will blow your Hartke away-just get a mate to help you with the stairs though....[/quote]

I agree, bomb proof and they punch way above their perceived value. For £100 you can't go wrong... so long as it all pretty much works but you can expect/forgive the odd scratchy pot etc.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='542354' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:00 PM']I agree, bomb proof and they punch way above their perceived value. For £100 you can't go wrong... so long as it all pretty much works but you can expect/forgive the odd scratchy pot etc.[/quote]

+1

I have a MkIII and a MarkIV and they are fantastic.. For a while, I used to use the MkIV with a 1x15 and that sounded great, so I expect this 2x15 will be absolutely brilliant!

Good luck with it...

hmm big stuff for the power rating but that was the deal back then.

Sound-wise ..don't expect anything cultured but never a PV fan anyway.
It will suit a hard driven P bass set-up, IMO

BW speakers would be a real bonus but the cab is too much to lug around for the power otherwise..

If the amp does what you want, then knock the cab on for £50 and you have a workhorse amp for the same...
so that can't be bad at all..

Thanks for all your suggestions folks.

I ended up buying the lot for 60 pounds, as the cab has some problems. The sound comes out very weak and distorted, nothing that a bit of solder won't fix, I think...
Tried the amp through a marshall cab, definitely not a hi-fi amp, but that's not what i'm after. Two channels plus mixture of the two, plenty eq several other potentially useful switches and knobs, i'm happy.

I'm picking it up tomorrow, and i'm thinking of maybe selling/giving away the cab right away, as i think it might be just too big for me. Not sure yet.
Thanks again for your thoughts!