Why become a member? ×

Recommend a fun bass line for me

fumps

Hi Peeps

I've recentley been playing/learning "Money" By The Mighty Pink Floyd & found that it's just a fun & rewarding bass line to play. for some reason it make me smile.

So now i'm looking for something else thats just fun & rewarding to learn.

can anyone recommend me some new stuff ?

i like most types of music but after doing "Get up & Jump" from the Chillies i just feel a little burned out....lol

Edited by fumps

Have a go at Bernard Edward's line on Chic's Freak Out... never fails to make me smile... its become like the screensaver to my playing. if i dont concentrate i end up playing it!

[quote name='fumps' post='540018' date='Jul 14 2009, 08:49 AM']Hi Peeps

I've recentley been playing/learning "Money" By The Mighty Pink Floyd & found that it's just a fun & rewarding bass line to play. for some reason it make me smile.

i like most types of music but after doing "Get up & Jump" from the Chillies i just feel a little burned out....lol[/quote]

[quote name='fumps' post='540018' date='Jul 14 2009, 08:49 AM']Hi Peeps

i like most types of music but after doing "Get up & Jump" from the Chillies i just feel a little burned out....lol[/quote]

Return of the Space Cowboy makes me giggle while I play it :)

Three Mile Island by the James Taylor Quartet is a great one as well, very driving but funky nonetheless!

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='540377' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:02 PM']Mellowship Slinky in Major B - RHCP.
Soul to squeeze - RHCP

2 songs to that make me smile more then anything.

Oh... and dont forget the Super Mario Theme, that always makes me smile. Oh and inspector Gadget theme![/quote]

i like danger mouse

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='540377' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:02 PM']Mellowship Slinky in Major B - RHCP.
Soul to squeeze - RHCP

2 songs to that make me smile more then anything.

Oh... and dont forget the Super Mario Theme, that always makes me smile. Oh and inspector Gadget theme![/quote]

I was about to post Soul to Squeeze - glad I read the thread first!

She Bangs the Drums (Stone Roses) is a fun one as well.

[quote name='fumps' post='540256' date='Jul 14 2009, 12:47 PM']ooo now theres a thing will try out mr Wonder.

sometimes i cant see wood fo trees[/quote]
Sir Duke definitely does it for me.

I know everyone brings up James Jamerson, but "Darling Dear" by The Jacksons is just majestic. Good luck nailing that one.

All of these need a bit of overdrive (a Digitech Bad Monkey does a fine job on the cheap if you can't get it from your amp), which is why they're so much fun to play!

Wolfmother - Dimension (or just the whole album!)
The Stranglers - Peaches
The Flaming Lips - It Overtakes Me
The Wombats - Moving To New York
Kings Of Leon - Four Kicks

I've also been learning a bit of Led Zep recently, check out Ramble On, Heartbreaker, The Lemon Song, etc... Also anything off of the first two Black Sabbath albums!

Edited by dannybuoy

^
I love It Overtakes Me, always play it when I'm bored! :)

Stuck in the Middle by Stealers Wheels, always fun.
Or how about something by the Pixies? The lines are usually pretty straight forward but sound great. "Hey" is my personal fave.

[quote name='Monz' post='540229' date='Jul 14 2009, 12:29 PM']Stevie Wonders Master Blaster... in fact anything from the Stevie Wonder stable[/quote]

+1!

The bass player from incubus first album has some pretty cool bass lines too. The album is called science. They are all pretty sweet, i particularly like summer romance. His name is Dirk Lance, but he doesnt play with them anmyore
heres a good tab for this song, has a couple of faults i think, but pretty damn close :

[url="http://www.911tabs.com/link/?3667685"]http://www.911tabs.com/link/?3667685[/url]

The Jamiroquia bass player has a penchant for funky riffs too! :)