Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB212 (Chocolate Thunder)

Musicman20

Aguilar DB212 Bass Cabinets

On my ongoing quest for tone, I came across Aguilar. I only tested Aguilar cabs for a little while, and it was the DB112's. Lovely thick bass tone. These cabs made me really like 12 inch speakers Say what you want about the 'sound' of various drivers, but these 12s do sound great. Thick, throaty, and clear. Plenty of ommph!

So, after realised I wasn't a huge fan of Ampeg 8x10's, I agreed a trade with Darren at the Bass Merchant. I decided on two DB212s, thus giving me the ability to have a 4x12 stack, but in a more portable form! They are both 8 ohm cabs.

The colour was definitely the right choice. Chocolate Thunder looks great. Little touches like the gold seam on the brown grille cloth is great. They look like a work of art. Almost like the are furniture!

They are NOT light cabs. They are approx 70lbs, which is not massively heavy, but really needs a two man lift. But, what you get in weight gives that awesome tone.

I did not realise, but they come with removable casters! So, pop them in (a little stiff at first so push them in hard) and there you go. 70lbs is no longer an issue, and at no extra cost.

Covers - The Aggie padded covers are essential to make sure your cabs stay nice. They are quite expensive, but try and work out a deal if you buy a fair bit of Aggie gear, I did :). They are made by Tuki covers, and then branded with the Aguilar logo. The Tuki covers are renowned for being thick and reliable. This is indeed true! Padded, soft, and essential. Once you have casters on, and you handle the cabs properly with the covers, I can't see many problems. We did have a problem as the covers were the GS212 covers, so Darren quickly got another DB cover out and ordered me another one in addition. So, that's sorted. Soon they will all be complete :rolleyes:

Sound - With a LM3, I didnt think I was really pushing it like I would be with my Orange AD200b Mk3. Ok....once I turned up (one of the cabs, so 8 ohm, 300W into it) to around just under a third volume....PUNCH! This is why I wanted these cabs...and the LM3 really impressed me. Its thick, articulate, throaty, creamy, chunky bass tone! Definitely less tinny than 10s, and still with the whump of 15s.

I tried both cabs together (500W) and I had to turn down to less than a 1/5 of volume....it was soooo loud and bassy....but NOT boomy...a tight fat low end.

I must add, the tone was not only good for rock, it had a great articulate and precise sound. My Jazz bass right the way up the neck sounded so clear and crisp, yet would cut through a mix. The P bass was perfect, tone up and it cuts through and has so much whump! Knock the tone back, big fat thuddy P bass with 12s :lol:

Horn - Full adjustable. Both cabs have a horn, so I turn one down all the way If I use both. Sweet horn! I only have it on low on one....but its perfect....not harsh....a nice sweet high end.

I cannot wait to try the Orange amp through these cabs.

Excellent :D

Edited by Musicman20

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

To conclude this review, I had to sell the DBs as I wasnt getting the use out of the two cabinets, BUT, I was that impressed with them ive gone for yet another DB212 in 4 ohm, (change of colour....this time Classic Black). Once it arrives, and If I get chance, ill post some pictures.

Very nice cabinets.

I bought both these cabs and am soooo impressed with them. One of these babies at 8ohm (ie only getting half the power from my amp) is louder and bassier than 2 8ohm DB112's was. I've only ever had to use one cab where as I sold my dual 112 setup because I wasn't loud enough! I found myself in the same situation as Gareth - the tone of the 12's was just perfect...but with one problem: I wasn't loud enough. My solution? Get MORE 12's! :)

Edited by Higgie

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Steve Spector' post='1099808' date='Jan 23 2011, 04:49 PM']Just a quickie on the Aggie 12 cabs. If I were to get 2 DB212 cabs at 8 ohms each then wanted MORE volume, could I also get a 4 ohm DB412 and use all 3? So one lead from the amp to the 412 and one to a 212, then an out from this 212 to the other one?
Steve[/quote]

Not unless your amp went to 2 ohms which very few do (Peavey amps often do but not many others)! However if you had a pair of DB2x12s and you needed more volume you'd be bleeding from every orifice starting at the ears. In all seriousness if you needed more than a pair of DB212s then the PA should be handling the volume side of it FOH and they should be plenty enough for on-stage monitoring.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1099842' date='Jan 23 2011, 05:21 PM']Not unless your amp went to 2 ohms which very few do (Peavey amps often do but not many others)! However if you had a pair of DB2x12s and you needed more volume you'd be bleeding from every orifice starting at the ears. In all seriousness if you needed more than a pair of DB212s then the PA should be handling the volume side of it FOH and they should be plenty enough for on-stage monitoring.[/quote]

I'm sure you're right, just sort of thinking hypothetically as much as anything. It'd be either an Aggie DB751 or an Ampeg SVT VR, both of which do go to 2 ohms.
So again, if I daisy-chain the 2 212s into 1 amp output and the 412 into the amp output it'd work and be 2 ohms, yes?
Steve

[quote name='Steve Spector' post='1099859' date='Jan 23 2011, 05:36 PM']I'm sure you're right, just sort of thinking hypothetically as much as anything. It'd be either an Aggie DB751 or an Ampeg SVT VR, both of which do go to 2 ohms.
So again, if I daisy-chain the 2 212s into 1 amp output and the 412 into the amp output it'd work and be 2 ohms, yes?
Steve[/quote]

Yes Steve, if the amps go down to 2ohms then the scenario you suggest will work. TBH you could daisy chain all of the cabs from one output the effect would be the same but the benefit of your way is that if a speaker lead fails you'd still have output (whereas if the speaker lead to the first cab in a 3 cab daisy chain failed you'd have nothing).

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1099884' date='Jan 23 2011, 05:58 PM']Yes Steve, if the amps go down to 2ohms then the scenario you suggest will work. TBH you could daisy chain all of the cabs from one output the effect would be the same but the benefit of your way is that if a speaker lead fails you'd still have output (whereas if the speaker lead to the first cab in a 3 cab daisy chain failed you'd have nothing).[/quote]

I have db751 which i run with a DB 2x12 4OHM cab in choclate thunder the cab is rated at 600watts i have never had the master volume past a quarter these cabs are so loud was tempted to get another matching cab giving me 1200watts at 2 ohms but i decided that my body and espacially my ears would not take it

• 6 months later...

That's one of the coolest combination I'd say!I use an Epifani UL410 which is great with my Aguilar SC500,but since I tried DB cabs 10 and 12 inches as well I can't stop thinking about a full Aggie rig.Wish I could get 2x212 DB's,but I think I have to compromise somewhere between portability and loud gigging rig.What if I combine a 210 and a 212 cab (both 8 ohms of course)?I could get a combined 10 and 12 inches perfect bass sound.For rehearse I would take just a 210,for a loud gig I could use both (210 + 212) cab.Has anyone tried this combination before?

[quote name='Hoffbass' post='1348230' date='Aug 22 2011, 06:39 PM']That's one of the coolest combination I'd say!I use an Epifani UL410 which is great with my Aguilar SC500,but since I tried DB cabs 10 and 12 inches as well I can't stop thinking about a full Aggie rig.Wish I could get 2x212 DB's,but I think I have to compromise somewhere between portability and loud gigging rig.What if I combine a 210 and a 212 cab (both 8 ohms of course)?[b]I could get a combined 10 and 12 inches perfect bass sound[/b].For rehearse I would take just a 210,for a loud gig I could use both (210 + 212) cab.Has anyone tried this combination before?[/quote]
Don't assume that mixing 10s and 12s will 'automatically' get you a better sound than just a pair of 2x10s (or a pair of 1x12s).

• 5 months later...

A DB210 and a DB212...is a 350 and 600watt coupling which doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, but I guess it would work, no problems.
I use 2xDB210 and the sound is earth shaking and as loud as my uses go and don't see the need to add 12" into the mix.

I think if you like 12's then pair them up.. I prefer my 10's to my 12's as the sound is livelier all round, IMO.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1329220546' post='1538907']
As much as I've been looking at a small neo 1x12, I still think a single DB112 would tick a lot of boxes.
[/quote]

My thinking entirely....
plus I have a spare chassis which I can use as a backup. I will pair them up though