Why become a member? ×

Going looooowwwww...

Stag

Hi chaps / chapettes...

I'm currently thinking about forming another band with a guitarist pal of mine. He's proper into his heavy music and I personally like a bit of devil horned stuff as well, particularly as its going to be originals which I havent had to do in a [b]very[/b] long time. He also mentioned that this will involve a certain amount fo tuning down. After a little bit of discussion we think we would be looking at C or C#, which im happy with.... but will my bass be happy with it? I dont own (and have never owned) a bass with more than 4 strings, im a bit old skool as far as that goes! Does anyone here play a 4 who regularly tunes down to that kind of level... and is it OK to do this to your instrument?

And if it isnt - perhaps all you multi stringers could suggest a 5 or a 6 string which would fit the bill? The basses I normally play are listed in my sig, which should give you an idea of what is "my bag"...

Cheers guys!

Edited by Stag

You can get strings that are for lower tunings...so I think the E is higher tension to withstand some down tuning. I downtune sometimes to D with Fenders....sounds sh*t hot to be honest. Not been any lower...

I do find my 12's in my Aguilar cabs LOVE the low D....is sounds crisp and articulate, but tight and punchy with warmth.

Cheers for the comments guys. Not sure if I want to be fiddling with the nut on my Rick... and certainly not a little short scale thing like my Gibson... perhaps buying a 5 is the way to go. I think I can push C# with no flapping on the 4's - will have to see how that goes

I played a mid-price Tanglewood and my Warwick for a few years tuned C#G#C#F# (drop 'D' with a further semi-tone down on all strings) using 105-85-65-45 strings and a 34" scale neck. Had no issues at all, but it's worth trying a few different brands of strings as tension can vary even at the same gauge. I had no problem with Warwick Red Labels and Elite Stadiums.

I believe that bassists such as Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne tunes his 5 string bass to G#C#G#C#F#, which is pretty mad!

I have a carvin XB-75P (35.5" scale) with warwick dark lord strings tuned F#-B-E-A-D
[url="http://www.carvinmuseum.com/playersgallery/xb75.html"]http://www.carvinmuseum.com/playersgallery/xb75.html[/url] (second one down).

Never use it as the band I was playing with (6-strings dropped to 'C' - so I had it up a semi-tone & layed like a normal 5-string) has dissolved. Not an option if you don't like a 5 string though.

If I were you I'd go the 4-string with the bottom 4 of a 5 on it. Otherwise you'll have a normal 5-string with an extra 'high' string, which I don't go for, although there are those that do.

I play in drop C standard, so C, F, Bb, Eb with 45-105 strings with a low action (low for that tuning anyway....and I play hard)
It's more about the core of the string than the gauge of it, mine are custom wound with a thicker core giving more tension.

Higher tension obviously allows you to downtune whilst retaining an action that is playable and not buzzy, I doubt I'd be able to tune standard with them, but then I have other basses for that :)

Newtone, who makes my strings, can cater a set of strings for any tuning you want, any tension/gauge combination. Oh and they're around the same price as a set of Elites/Rotos.....just take 3 weeks to get to you lol

Good luck
Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='Sibob' post='540648' date='Jul 14 2009, 08:06 PM']Newtone, who makes my strings, can cater a set of strings for any tuning you want, any tension/gauge combination. Oh and they're around the same price as a set of Elites/Rotos.....just take 3 weeks to get to you lol

Good luck
Si[/quote]

And they are flippin nice strings too! Even the standard diamond set sound brilliant.

Before I packed Veils in recently, I was tuned G-C-G-C-F :)

I always found that tuning a bass to match a drop C guitar is kinda tricky when using a 5 string. I used to play drop Bb with Veils a while back and tuned my bass up half a step (before dropping) to match. Presently in San Sebastian I am tuned in Eb and I much prefer it. I have always thought with metal that if you are simply tuning down to make your songs heavy, then the songs aren't good enough on their own (think Lamb of God's first couple of albums). If you have other reasons for tuning down then go for it, but I find that you tend to grow bored of it after a while. You lose clarity the lower you go and, to me, it just isn't as comfortable to play!