Why become a member? ×

Worlds Oldest Newbie

ivansc

Hi - Ivan from Wistow near Peterboro.

I quit playing bass professionally many years ago when I got trigger finger in right hand one and two.

Started playing one of those skinny stringed little things for a living but never lost my love for bass.

Now after retiring off the circuit I am playing bass again and my hands arent falling apart yet!

I made the mistake of selling my old bass rig to a pupil years ago and then made another mistake recently buying a poxy little laney combo amp.

160 watts and not man enough to do a bar gig with a proper drummer....

So I was attracted here by the tales of DIY cabinets, since this is how I started out in 1961/2.

There just werent any bass amps and cabs around in the UK in those days.

My first rig was a Philips mono valve hifi amp and a 22" jukebox speaker in an open backed 1/2" plywood box.

And that is about it.

I`m currently picking up a lot of dep jobs and doing the first fledgeling gigs with Catfish Jones, a nasty 3 piece r n b trio...

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='539636' date='Jul 13 2009, 07:54 PM']Welcome in Ivan, sounds like Bill Fitzmaurice's site may be the place for you.

[url="http://billfitzmaurice.com/"]http://billfitzmaurice.com/[/url]

Good to see folk older than me :)[/quote]

have to admit it IS funny the government are now actually paying me to stay alive...... easiest money i ever made. even if you cant live on it.

As a matter of interest, do you know if anyone has built the Jack 1x10" on here? Looks like it is too good to be true & I do have some good basic carpentry skills and equipment

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='ivansc' post='539589' date='Jul 13 2009, 07:11 PM']Hi - Ivan from Wistow near Peterboro.

I quit playing bass professionally many years ago when I got trigger finger in right hand one and two.

Started playing one of those skinny stringed little things for a living but never lost my love for bass.

Now after retiring off the circuit I am playing bass again and my hands arent falling apart yet!

I made the mistake of selling my old bass rig to a pupil years ago and then made another mistake recently buying a poxy little laney combo amp.

160 watts and not man enough to do a bar gig with a proper drummer....

So I was attracted here by the tales of DIY cabinets, since this is how I started out in 1961/2.

There just werent any bass amps and cabs around in the UK in those days.

Hi There!
did you get treatment for the trigger finger? I've recently had it and it's pretty much back to normal after 1 treatment. I'm having another soon, and that should fully do it. Only takes about 5 minutes, but it does hurt a bit while they do it. It's just an injection (cortizone)
All the best
Jules
My first rig was a Philips mono valve hifi amp and a 22" jukebox speaker in an open backed 1/2" plywood box.

And that is about it.

I`m currently picking up a lot of dep jobs and doing the first fledgeling gigs with Catfish Jones, a nasty 3 piece r n b trio...[/quote]