Why become a member? ×

Doll & the Kicks

Soulfinger

Just got back from a really, really disappointing Morrissey concert here in Vienna. Probably the worst live sound I´ve ever experienced (including my own gigs :) ), uninspired performance, lame songs. Crap, really, sorry to say.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the (all too brief) set by the support act, Doll & the Kicks from Bristol. Much better sound and very uplifting, hard driving music. The bassist played a Fender Jazz through a Markbass rig and sounded great. Anybody know them? Kickass live act IMHO, poor old Morrissey didn´t stand a chance...

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='538191' date='Jul 11 2009, 10:53 PM']Just got back from a really, really disappointing Morrissey concert here in Vienna. Probably the worst live sound I´ve ever experienced (including my own gigs :) ), uninspired performance, lame songs. Crap, really, sorry to say.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the (all too brief) set by the support act, Doll & the Kicks from Bristol. Much better sound and very uplifting, hard driving music. The bassist played a Fender Jazz through a Markbass rig and sounded great. Anybody know them? Kickass live act IMHO, poor old Morrissey didn´t stand a chance...[/quote]Were you on medication, has your partner just left you, or were you just there at a gig for the analysis of the bass sound?

Joking.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='538193' date='Jul 11 2009, 11:00 PM']She has a decent enough voice to make it on her own.

[/quote]
+1

very unusual voice..

Would much rather see her play than Morrisey, who's the most over-rated artist of the last 40 years IMO!

[quote name='silddx' post='538195' date='Jul 12 2009, 12:08 AM']Great stuff, production rather suspect IMHO.[/quote]
Got to agree with you. They sounded much better live - no gimmicks, no backing tracks, just a honest, tight live band playing their behinds off and enjoying every second of it.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='538221' date='Jul 12 2009, 01:20 AM']Would much rather see her play...[/quote]
Do it! She has a great stage presence. And, as my wife pointed out, she´s hot! :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='538221' date='Jul 12 2009, 01:20 AM']...than Morrisey, who's the most over-rated artist of the last 40 years IMO![/quote]
I used to like his stuff but there´s some truth to this statement...

[quote name='steve-soar' post='538216' date='Jul 12 2009, 01:10 AM']Were you on medication[/quote]
Lasagna and beer, nothing I couldn´t handle. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='538216' date='Jul 12 2009, 01:10 AM']has your partner just left you[/quote]
Nope. Still going strong after 12 years and despite her dragging me to that shyte gig. :rolleyes:

[quote name='steve-soar' post='538216' date='Jul 12 2009, 01:10 AM']were you just there at a gig for the analysis of the bass sound?[/quote]
I figured I had to post some gear info to qualify for the "General Bass Discussion" forum. :lol:
With Morrissey, unfortunately there was no discernible bass sound (or guitar sound, for that matter) to analyse. I did see a fiesta-red Road Worn Fender P and an Ampeg rig though...

[quote name='boabskiboab' post='538367' date='Jul 12 2009, 12:28 PM']Possibly the affects of a long tour on older bodies?[/quote]
I wouldn´t want to blame it exclusively on Morrissey & Co. (although the songs were sub-par for the most part IMO). The venue they played (Gasometer, haven´t been there before) has a reputation for horrible sound but just how horrible I had no idea. Muddier than the droppings of a swamp monster on diarrhea.

Doll and the Kicks however managed to get a decent sound. Ok, they were just guitar, bass, drums and a singer but still...

Well, lesson learned - I´ll never get anywhere near that venue again unless they manage to bring back John Martyn, Jeff Buckley and Miles Davis.

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='538504' date='Jul 12 2009, 02:29 PM']I wouldn´t want to blame it exclusively on Morrissey & Co. (although the songs were sub-par for the most part IMO). The venue they played (Gasometer, haven´t been there before) has a reputation for horrible sound but just how horrible I had no idea. Muddier than the droppings of a swamp monster on diarrhea.

Doll and the Kicks however managed to get a decent sound. Ok, they were just guitar, bass, drums and a singer but still...

Well, lesson learned - I´ll never get anywhere near that venue again unless they manage to bring back John Martyn, Jeff Buckley and Miles Davis.[/quote]
That'll be some gig!!!