Why become a member? ×

Valve amp heat

BassBalls

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='57357' date='Sep 8 2007, 12:58 PM']Thanx very much everyone. Heavy duty Speakon connectors are the way forward then i take it. Could anyone suggest a log lasting Speakon cable then please.[/quote]

You could do far worse than OBBM's cables.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=502"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=502[/url]

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='57357' date='Sep 8 2007, 12:58 PM']Thanx very much everyone. Heavy duty Speakon connectors are the way forward then i take it. Could anyone suggest a log lasting Speakon cable then please.[/quote]

They are pretty much industry standard now and certainly on my gear... oh and I have one of OBBM's cables and they are the mutts nuts.

[quote name='BassBalls' post='57701' date='Sep 9 2007, 12:40 PM']Wow thanks for the great replies and information.

So with my valve amp, should i change the impediance selector to 8ohms and run a seperate cable out of the amp to the seperate speakers?

I dont like the sound of the very expensive output transformer breaking.[/quote]

Do not run 2 x 8 ohm speakers from your amp with the selector on 8 ohms!

It doesn't matter if they are daisy chained or run from separate outputs, if you are using 2 x 8ohm cabs it must be on 4 ohms.

Take some time to read the info supplied as stickies on this forum.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='57713' date='Sep 9 2007, 01:27 PM']Do not run 2 x 8 ohm speakers from your amp with the selector on 8 ohms!

It doesn't matter if they are daisy chained or run from separate outputs, if you are using 2 x 8ohm cabs it must be on 4 ohms.

Take some time to read the info supplied as stickies on this forum.[/quote]

Cool cheers mate. Ill have a read.

I got a V4BH & IT has NO fan in it! It gets HOT but not overly so for a Valve amp. With my Fender 300PRO & it's 6 x 6550C valves even that didn't have a fan installed-so I installed an old computer fan to blow the hot air out!! Works well too!
Informative thread-thanx OX et al!!!!! But-yes the V4 does get HOT & it shouldn't be a worry- just 4 x 6L6 valves & plenty of air space around 'em. Keep yr ohms switch to 4 ohms with the 2 cabs & switch it to 8 ohms if U just use ONE CAB! All should be valvey sweet!!!! ;o)