Why become a member? ×

barefaced vintage

lojo

[quote name='Musicman20' post='537996' date='Jul 11 2009, 05:11 PM']Think this thread is the right one

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46789&st=80&start=80"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...80&start=80[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the prompt replies guys

-

Musicman20

I see you have the orange rig, despite the advantages of lightweight, Ive fallen for and purchased an orange410, gigged it last night and loved it, I was wondering if you use yours much and if so why do you choose it over the other gear you own, not sure if I am going mad, its heavy but seems to have something the lightweight cab I borrowed to try doesnt

[quote name='lojo' post='538014' date='Jul 11 2009, 05:32 PM']Thanks for the prompt replies guys

-

Musicman20

I see you have the orange rig, despite the advantages of lightweight, Ive fallen for and purchased an orange410, gigged it last night and loved it, I was wondering if you use yours much and if so why do you choose it over the other gear you own, not sure if I am going mad, its heavy but seems to have something the lightweight cab I borrowed to try doesnt[/quote]

It definitely packs a massive punch. Lightweight cabs are cool, but still the majority of the bassists I know still go for the normal weight cabs.

The Orange 410 is heavy...definitely. But, it is damn smooth, punchy, and looks AMAZING. Lets face it...If you are paying £550+ (or even lower) then you want it to look good.

Id check out the Orange 1x15. That cab is amazing...and not that bad a lift. Its not even that bad to carry on your own.

I dont use my cabs much at the moment as we are usually supplied a bass cab and I just take an amp head.

Which lightweight cab did you try?

Edited by Musicman20

musicman

I used a 4ohm Zoot 2x12 which to be fair was great but just lacked something the orange has in a full band situation

Yes I may get the orange 115, over kill using both cabs at most gigs id do, but as you say lighter so maybe the one Id rehearse with mostly

The shop was saying a MB 410 HF would be ideal for me, I am sure it would be, but I just could not bring myself to part with the best part of a grand for it

uncle

Thankyou for your interest, Id consider the barefaced cabs and did try to make contact with they guy (Alex?) who replied and was just leaving for hols, I fear I maybe to far down the orange route now, but could be talked into changing the orange to one if its a better long term solution

Obviously I am searching for a sound that is way beyond my playing/gigging level, and anything would do really for the kind of pub gigs i'm playing, but I just seem to be craving a certain sound and presence, I did play some very big venues in my early days before giving up playing and gave no where near as much thought to gear back then (think mostly they just provided big trace elliot stacks)

[quote name='Merton' post='538280' date='Jul 12 2009, 08:55 AM']lojo, whereabouts do you live? I'm gigging a Vintage next Saturday in East Grinstead if you're anywhere near...[/quote]

I am near Esher, wont be able to make saturday, but let me know any other dates when you are near me, would love to come sometime

[quote name='Merton' post='540930' date='Jul 15 2009, 07:41 AM']I'm in Redhill so if you wanna pop over sometime to have a look/listen/play with the Vintage then gimme a shout :)[/quote]

thanks for the offer, may take you up

will check your gig dates and see if I can pop along sometime, always love seeing covers bands

re: barefaced, I have now got an orange 410 and a 115 won on ebay for £156 which I believe is light enough to take to rehearsals unlike the 410 which will only come to gigs, heavy I know, but out of everything I have tried, these did it for me. Both cabs together is over the top power wise, but I am guessing the sound and punch will be fantastic, gigged the 410 on its on last week and everyone in the band loved it (even got a lift into the truck by my wife), anyway as I said 115 for practice, shift the 410 for gigs

Perhaps I should'nt listen to the barefaced or paradox of choice depression may set in

[quote name='Musicman20' post='541466' date='Jul 15 2009, 05:36 PM']Itll sound totally different. You might like more you might not. Years ago I was told the Ampeg 8x10 was one of the best cabs ever. I bought one, and it wasnt. Unless it was really loud it was dull.[/quote]

You mean when paired together?

Well the 115 is coming today, and I will gig them together on friday (hope its sunny then we will be outside), so will let you know

[quote name='Musicman20' post='541466' date='Jul 15 2009, 06:36 PM']Itll sound totally different. You might like more you might not. Years ago I was told the Ampeg 8x10 was one of the best cabs ever. I bought one, and it wasnt. Unless it was really loud it was dull.[/quote]

I knew I wasn't deaf.

That cab wants massive power pumped into it. I had a gig where I had an 8x10" and a Peavey preamp + power amp rack system. I know that the amplifier wasn't really important in the equation, since I always take my Hartke VXL with me, I also tried getting through the FX loop.
Due to issues with the location of the venue, we had to keep the volume quite low. Tone was inexistent. It seemed like the cab couldn't be bothered :) Muffled, lifeless, boring.

Then again, I had the chance of churning out loads of volume out of it once. It was spectacularly good. It really requires massive amount of power with at least a hint of overdrive to shine.

Edited by Boneless

well if anyone is still interested, i gigged the 115 and 410 orange, we played very loud outside on friday night, the rain stopped and the gig went very well, anyway the orange sounded fantastic, and another band who came to see us, said it was clear, punchy and present in the mix throughout, so I am pleased

115 is not to bad a lift for me, 410 is going into hibernation until we start gigging again after the summer

Still want to check a vintage out sometime

[quote name='Boneless' post='542054' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:04 AM']I knew I wasn't deaf.

That cab wants massive power pumped into it. I had a gig where I had an 8x10" and a Peavey preamp + power amp rack system. I know that the amplifier wasn't really important in the equation, since I always take my Hartke VXL with me, I also tried getting through the FX loop.
Due to issues with the location of the venue, we had to keep the volume quite low. Tone was inexistent. It seemed like the cab couldn't be bothered :) Muffled, lifeless, boring.

Then again, I had the chance of churning out loads of volume out of it once. It was spectacularly good. It really requires massive amount of power with at least a hint of overdrive to shine.[/quote]

Yeah....you are right. For its size and weight the Ampeg 8x10 is not that good. Its awesome in the right venue with a tube amp on a decent volume, but you turn it down when the soundman says 'the bass is too high on stage' and it sounds boring, and muffled. There is no 'punch' that I was told it would have.

It might be something to do with the new models...but lets just say compared to my Aguilar and Orange cabs it could not compete.

[quote name='lojo' post='543956' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:31 PM']well if anyone is still interested, i gigged the 115 and 410 orange, we played very loud outside on friday night, the rain stopped and the gig went very well, anyway the orange sounded fantastic, and another band who came to see us, said it was clear, punchy and present in the mix throughout, so I am pleased

115 is not to bad a lift for me, 410 is going into hibernation until we start gigging again after the summer

Still want to check a vintage out sometime[/quote]

Thanks for the update. Yes, I agree, that setup of cabs is very good...I love it. The 1x15 is warm, fat and articulate but still lets through sweet highs. The 4x10 is a beast to lift....but punchy as hell. Glad you enjoyed it...I agree...use the 1x15 for smaller venues.