Why become a member? ×

Post your Home Recording/Studio setups

odub

No pics to show off, but my 'home studio' is pretty cheap and cheerful, absolutely riddled with Behringer equipment, but works a treat for little songwriting demos.

It's a 2.6Ghz Pentium 4, running Cubase SX3, with an Emu 1212M soundcard. Monitoring is through a little Behringer ([i]sorry[/i]) 802 desk into Samson Resolve80 active monitors, and cheap'n'cheerful Behringer cans. Guitars and bass are tracked through a Behringer ([i]I warned you[/i]) V-Amp2, and vocals/acoustics through a Samson condenser mic and a ([i]I know!![/i])Behringer Valve mic-preamp.

There's an Emu MIDI keyboard running the Proteus sampler, an Ibanez Artist g**tar, and the little stack of basses in the corner.

Unfortunately, the bedroom in my new flat has an absolutely ridiculous bonucy reverb, so any serious recording will have to take place with long mic leads into the kitchen or something!!

I have good access to real studios, so all my recording stuff is just for messing about with ideas and things.

HP Proliant ML115 Quad core server with 8GB RAM (not a dedicated machine to recording though)
Cakewalk Sonar Power Studio 2x2 (re-badged Edirol UA-25)

Sennheiser HD595 open headphones for mixing
Sennheiser HD215 closed headphones for recording

Shure Beta 57A microphone
Red 5 Audio RV8 Large Diaphragm Microphone

Wishlist:
Another RV8, Shure Beta 58A, AKG D112 Mic (not just for kick drums!!), a soundcard with a few more inputs (anywhere between 4 and 8 would do me :) ). I am not really planning on getting any monitors any time soon. I'm more or less used to mixing on the headphones now ( [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/articles/mixingheadphones.htm"]http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/arti...gheadphones.htm[/url] is a good article about it for those interested) It's easy to say I lose a lot of the bass end with the headphones, but in my personal experience it's still less than I'd lose in a small room with budget monitors.

Been doing some homebrew recording in the rehearsal studio, nothing flashy or exciting:

4 microphones of various types pointing in various directions
An ancient 4 channel mixer which our drummer informs me was "lifted from the announcers office at Derby Railway Station" :)
an E-MU 0202 USB
my old Dell Latitude C840
Audacity

Considering the hotchpotch equipment and scattershot approach, the recordings came out not too bad. Not brilliant, but one or two of them might be good enough to go on the myspace.

I have an Athalon mobile CPU running at 2.3Ghz, 3Gb RAM, 2 x M-Audio Delta1010Lt, Cubase SX3, a couple of speakers plugged into an amp. I do recording at home through a crappy phonix mixer. I record at my practice room using a rack of pre-amps, and some budget drum mics, some used condensor mics I got from here and ebay. I'm working on an album at the moment, so you'll be able to hear the sort of "quality" I can get from it.

No pics, and (suprisingly) no computer involved in the recording or mixing stages :rolleyes:

SM58/SM57s/Roland £2000 electric drum kit/Our g-tar's gear or whatever the input it into an Akai 16-track recorder. We all use the same gear for recording in my band as we do recording (except the recorder) so we don't have to faff around getting half the quality gear and spending twice as much so we can record and play live.

To get it from the recorder to MP3 on a laptop it's a bit difficult. We take the headphone jack out into a stereo 1/4"jack splitter into 2x 1/4" mono jacks into the stereo input of a line 6 toneport into our guitarists' mac running riffworks! He then records and I hit play, sending it into the mac. He then levels the volume (ish) and bounces it onto iTunes where we all steal it onto our own computers or burn it to a disc.

Or if we want better quality, we take the digital phono outs on the back of the akai into my boss BR900-CD 8-track and record it onto there, and either burn a CD from there or use the USB interface from it. But generally speaking it's easier to use the mac :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is mine:

Based around an 8 core Mac Pro and Pro Tools LE System it can track up to 18 channels at once. Lots of plug ins from Waves, PSP and the Uad PCie system. Speakers are Dynaudio BM5a.

In the 'tracking rack' which gets used on location lots is the Digi 003 sound card with Focusrite Octopre and RME mic amps giving me 16 channels. For bigger jobs I get a PT HD 3 rig which takes me up to 48 channels.

The mix rack (which is static) has my Ampeg SVP pre amp and API lunch box with 560 EQ and 525 Compressor (they are brilliant). Also in there is a little DBX 163x compressor which actually belongs to stonecoldbass until I give him some pennies for it. Not pictured is a Boss 1/2u EQ and TC M-One FX unit.

I also have about a dozen mic stands, 24 xlr's and other bumph for tracking and the mic locker has a pair of AKG 414's, a Rode NTK, Rode NT5 pair, 58's, 57's, E604's, D112 etc etc etc....

For a better idea of what I use it all for check out www.c-p-productions.com

G

Lovely set up Garry - I know PTs is the dogs wotsits but I'm a Logic person (purely because it's for home recoding and not multi-input craziness) but I'm really impressed with the new Pro Tools-esque features in Logic 9 - I'm seriously considering upgrading as I've seen PT in action several time recently and have been mightily impressed with its editing power - but simply can't justify switing over to it from either a music or financial POV - but I believe it's your job right??? :)

Looks like you've gat all the er, bases covered there - nice work fella

Mike

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='551141' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:46 PM']Here is mine:

Based around an 8 core Mac Pro and Pro Tools LE System it can track up to 18 channels at once. Lots of plug ins from Waves, PSP and the Uad PCie system. Speakers are Dynaudio BM5a.

In the 'tracking rack' which gets used on location lots is the Digi 003 sound card with Focusrite Octopre and RME mic amps giving me 16 channels. For bigger jobs I get a PT HD 3 rig which takes me up to 48 channels.

The mix rack (which is static) has my Ampeg SVP pre amp and API lunch box with 560 EQ and 525 Compressor (they are brilliant). Also in there is a little DBX 163x compressor which actually belongs to stonecoldbass until I give him some pennies for it. Not pictured is a Boss 1/2u EQ and TC M-One FX unit.

I also have about a dozen mic stands, 24 xlr's and other bumph for tracking and the mic locker has a pair of AKG 414's, a Rode NTK, Rode NT5 pair, 58's, 57's, E604's, D112 etc etc etc....

For a better idea of what I use it all for check out www.c-p-productions.com

G[/quote]

I love the 500 series stuff, I think more people will be using lunchboxes in the future.

Urb; I'm a Logic man too, use both logic 8 and Protools HD at work and like Logic 8 so much more (just personal preference), looking forward to our Logic 9 upgrade:)

Edited by Lee-Man

Windows XP running Cubase SX3 / Ableton 8 / Sound Forge.
PC 1 driving AVI's and Quicktime on a second desktop.
And a Laptop for running Finale 2009.
A couple of Delta 10/10's.
M-patch 2 for monitoring.
A pair of Mackie's.
Avalon U5 and also a Phoenix Audio DRS-1 Class-A pre. [ Hired out to my mates studio at the moment ]
Studio logic Keyboard.
And various Basses [ always my Rim Jazz5] and Gtrs.

Waves plugs amongst others / Kontakt 3 / Various VSTi's.
VSL library and about another 700 gig of various samples and patches.

Moving overseas at the end of the year...
I will then be moving over to Mac so i can run Digital Performer [ Good for the video stuff]
Will keep the PC stuff still.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='551412' date='Jul 25 2009, 09:15 PM']Windows XP running Cubase SX3 / Ableton 8 / Sound Forge.
PC 1 driving AVI's and Quicktime on a second desktop.
And a Laptop for running Finale 2009.
A couple of Delta 10/10's.
M-patch 2 for monitoring.
A pair of Mackie's.
Avalon U5 and also a Phoenix Audio DRS-1 Class-A pre. [ Hired out to my mates studio at the moment ]
Studio logic Keyboard.
And various Basses [ always my Rim Jazz5] and Gtrs.[/quote]
Nice setup - and you look much younger than I had imagined :)

Current Setup -
* Toshiba L300 25H
- 3GB Ram, 250gb HDD, Vista Home Premium
- Ableton 8 Live Suite XL, Reason v4
* Line 6 Toneport UX2
* Ministry Of Sound Dual Monitors
* Shure SM57 Mic For Vocals/Guitars/Bass
* My Guitars & Basses
* EZ Drummer DKFH For Drums
* Midi Keyboard
* Mixing Desk Coming Soon

Very Good Setup Actually. Real Suprisingly Good Quality

Pics To Come Soon!
Also, Can some one give me a bit of information on usb mixing desks?
Will I be able to plug one into my laptop and change the levels of what i've recorded on ableton or will it purely change the level of the sounds for play back?
Thanks

Edited by StevieD_FenderP2009

[quote name='urb' post='551283' date='Jul 25 2009, 06:27 PM']Lovely set up Garry - I know PTs is the dogs wotsits but I'm a Logic person (purely because it's for home recoding and not multi-input craziness) but I'm really impressed with the new Pro Tools-esque features in Logic 9 - I'm seriously considering upgrading as I've seen PT in action several time recently and have been mightily impressed with its editing power - but simply can't justify switing over to it from either a music or financial POV - but I believe it's your job right??? :rolleyes:

Looks like you've gat all the er, bases covered there - nice work fella

Mike[/quote]

Hey man,

Yeah, this is what I do. :)

I think the difference between all the sequencers is slowly getting smaller and smaller and, in honesty, I think its one of those situations where the driver makes a bigger difference than the car. Logic is very powerful and certainly capable of giving PTS a run for its money in the right hands.

Cheers

G

Hey I'll add my stuff - nothing too fancy but here goes:

Apple Intel iMac 24" - with 4GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8 GHz, 800 MHz
Logic Studio Pro 8 (will probably upgrade to 9 very soon)
BFD 2
Ozone 4
M-Audio Keystation 49e
Mackie Onyx Satellite Base Sation
Pair of KRK Rokit 6 active monitors
Very good Sennheiser Mic (can't find exact serial)
Plus Sei basses and Epifani 502 UL
Pedals and stuff :)

All that is enough for me for now - obviously I'd love more stuff but it's a good quality set up that is just right for me to compose and record and get really high quality results

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='551643' date='Jul 26 2009, 11:03 AM']Hey I'll add my stuff - nothing too fancy but here goes:

Apple Intel iMac 24" - with 4GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8 GHz, 800 MHz
Logic Studio Pro 8 (will probably upgrade to 9 very soon)
BFD 2
Ozone 4
M-Audio Keystation 49e
Mackie Onyx Satellite Base Sation
Pair of KRK Rokit 6 active monitors
Very good Sennheiser Mic (can't find exact serial)
Plus Sei basses and Epifani 502 UL
Pedals and stuff :)

All that is enough for me for now - obviously I'd love more stuff but it's a good quality set up that is just right for me to compose and record and get really high quality results

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

I have one of the Mackie Onyx Satellite's, I really like it, very surprised actually. How do you find it?

Hey guys
Can some one give me a bit of information on usb mixing desks?
Will I be able to plug one into my laptop and change the levels of what i've recorded on ableton or will it purely change the level of the sounds for play back?
Also, Any one that uses the M-Audio Keystation 49E, can you give me a bit of a review of it?
Cheers!

[quote name='Lee-Man' post='551796' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:38 PM']I have one of the Mackie Onyx Satellite's, I really like it, very surprised actually. How do you find it?[/quote]

It's good - the main reason I got it aside from it having the same high quality drivers as a full-size Mackie desk was that I needed something to run my monitors from - it works great - sounds really good and is very quiet and easy to use - plus my trusty Tascam soundcard stopped wrking when I upgraded to an Intel Mac! I'm very happy with the Onyx and it only cost £150 which is great for what it does.

M

Currently clearing the studio for a rebuild.... will get pics up soon. Two systems running synced some of the time but an Apple G4 tower running Digital Performer & Logic, 2nd system is an iMac running Logic 8 mainly but also Digital Performer.

Both systems running into 4 x MOTU 828 MK2 interfaces. Front end are two Soundcraft Digital 428 Desks both synced together giving 64 channels in total (never needed), 32 of ADAT. Try to stay away from the plug-ins as I prefer to use outboard.

Piccy of the studio from the outside below..... will get some more up after the clean up and re-installation later this week.