Why become a member? ×

How To Read Music?

Hot Tub

Right then. I want to be able to read standard music notation for bass. I know there's several "How To" books out there, and I've ordered one to start off with. But do you have any tips or tricks to make the learning easier, or is it just a matter of learning it parrot-fashion until it sticks?

:)

Sight reading or just being able to sit down and decipher it all in your own time?

If the former, a great practice my bass teacher gave me (as opposed to my previous classical piano teachers) is to do sight reading exercises based around the notes (e.g. just a crotchett rhythm but different notes) separately from exercises based on rhythms (with just a single pitch).

In reality, it's mainly sight reading rhythms people struggle with, and keeping them separate early on makes it easy for you to internalise the patterns of symbols so you're not counting, you just know what to do when your eyes scan over a marking. In the same way as you don't sit and read the letters e - a - s - y and construct the word easy. You see it one lump and just know what it says.

Then combine the two with varying degrees of difficulty until it's all too easy for you. When you hit that point, learn classical piano so that you get to do two (often quite different) parts on two different clefs (e.g. the second line on one clef refers to a different note than the second line on the other) at the same time.

Edited by Eight

Very often people say "Yes I can read music" - then you put something in front of them and yes, they can work it out very slowly, and eventually get an approximation of the part. But that is not sight reading !
Sight reading is playing a part you have never before seen and getting it (mostly) right first time.
Now this takes a lot of work and there is no easy way forward. You just have to slog at it.
But a good way to make yourself do it:
Spend some time getting to know all the notes and basic rhythm patterns (this will take some time) - then join a local amateur band/orchestra - depending on your musical preference - maybe a swing band, jazz band or an orchestra (if on DB) - there are always opportunities in most areas.

The point being that, when under pressure to get it right, you will take it in with more concentration and more determination. Then it will start to get easier, because you will recognize the patterns that emerge in music sight-reading.

Written music is just like a language - you can study it from books, or you can get out there and "converse" with other musicians. A combination of both methods is the best way forward.

The Major

I used to do a bit of reading music when I had recorder and piano lessons in my youth. Completely forgot how to sight read and can only remember the acronyms used to work out what notes are where.

I'm currently working my way through a book titled 'Simplified Sight Reading for Bass' and it's brilliant. Starts out with just the rhythm and learning what different patterns sound like. The first half of the book is purely rhythm based and I've been playing a 'D' constantly for the last couple of weeks :) The pace of the book is great and I'm definitely learning as I go. Comes with a CD which has the first example from each page on it and am enjoying playing along to it.

I'm tempted to skip forward in the book to the parts where you start learning the notes on each string, but I have resisted so far.

Would love to get into some kind of amateur orchestra/big band when i've worked my way through the book a couple of times to get the practice in. Anyone got an idea where these types of bands advertise?

good for you Hot Tub
which reminds me of Eddie Murphy approximating James Brown on SNL

I take reading as a skill that works with identified targets. So it is incorporated into something "concrete" not "abstract" as in I say I can read.

I can read because I want to play these Jamerson lines out of SITSOM book, or get session work, or appear like I am into Jazz :)
if I ritualized the practice it makes it more real...maybe...it has a pay-off immediate but also is an obvious "cross-referenced" skill.

and it's real practice too... it really does get in... which is another reason why TAB sucks...IMHO opinion you will remember what you learn to read for "life" not for one gig of the Tab I downloaded.

[quote name='peted' post='537069' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:05 AM']Would love to get into some kind of amateur orchestra/big band when i've worked my way through the book a couple of times to get the practice in. Anyone got an idea where these types of bands advertise?[/quote]
Probably the best place to start is your local music shop - many of these have a noticeboard with ads by the local orchs/ bands etc.
In my city, Manchester, there is a shop called Forsyths which has a huge noticeboard by the main door - oodles of ads for every type of music activity - and teachers as well.

And this is a good point:
Its all very well teaching yourself to read from books or self help CD's etc. But it's so easy to get into bad habits, especially with rhythms. You might think you can play a particular passage - but actually you are most likely to be making loads of errors.
[u] Get a teacher[/u] - ideally someone who actually plays for a living (even part time ) and really knows what they are doing.
You need the pressure of "performing" to that teacher to really get to grips with the written note.
I know everybody keeps banging on about this on BC, but getting a teacher really is the best (and quickest) way forward.

The Major

Edited by Major-Minor

[quote name='peted' post='537069' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:05 AM']I used to do a bit of reading music when I had recorder and piano lessons in my youth. Completely forgot how to sight read and can only remember the acronyms used to work out what notes are where.

I'm currently working my way through a book titled 'Simplified Sight Reading for Bass' and it's brilliant. Starts out with just the rhythm and learning what different patterns sound like. The first half of the book is purely rhythm based and I've been playing a 'D' constantly for the last couple of weeks :) The pace of the book is great and I'm definitely learning as I go. Comes with a CD which has the first example from each page on it and am enjoying playing along to it.

I'm tempted to skip forward in the book to the parts where you start learning the notes on each string, but I have resisted so far.

Would love to get into some kind of amateur orchestra/big band when i've worked my way through the book a couple of times to get the practice in. Anyone got an idea where these types of bands advertise?[/quote]

I have the same book, its an excellent starting resource. I'm not too bad at the rhythm part of it, but damn they get tricky in there!

[quote name='51m0n' post='537113' date='Jul 10 2009, 11:23 AM']I have the same book, its an excellent starting resource. I'm not too bad at the rhythm part of it, but damn they get tricky in there![/quote]
Agreed! I'm up to the pages where they start to mix 8ths 16th notes with rests and it gets very intense. I've also done a couple of exercises with dotted notes and ties but I keep losing the plot. I'm taking it reasonably easy as I'm hoping that my old sight reading is locked away in my brain somewhere and I'll get some kind of recall moment :)

I have flicked through the rest of the book and notice that the rhythms become drastically simpler when they start to introduce the different notes. Just got to get through the rhythm first half of the book unscathed.

[quote name='peted' post='537141' date='Jul 10 2009, 12:04 PM']I'm hoping that my old sight reading is locked away in my brain somewhere and I'll get some kind of recall moment :rolleyes:[/quote]

Im exactly the same. Just started to try and "re-learn" how to sight read. I used to be able to do it (on violin :S) and im hopin for a moment of inspiration where it all clicks back into place. still waiting ...... :)

I think the two most important elements in sight reading are always knowing where you are (therefore counting very consistently) and looking ahead in the music. If you are looking at the notes that are due [i]when[/i] they are due, it's already too late.
When practicing sight reading avoid the tempatation to stop and replay mistakes as this makes for disjointed playing, it's better (at first) to plough on through ignoring mistakes but getting to the end of the piece in time, after a few goes the errors will be ironed out.
At first pass plenty of players will make one or two mis-judged moves, but keeping your place in the music when this happens is critical in a band situation. The band will not stop just because you have.
If you are playing with a conductor always have a line of sight that contains your bass neck, your music and the conductor, that way when you look up to see where the downbeat is, all that is involved is a raising of the eyes, having to fully move your head makes it much less likely that you will look back to the correct point in the music. (Although I pretty much can play without looking these days)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='peted' post='537069' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:05 AM']The first half of the book is purely rhythm based and I've been playing a 'D' constantly for the last couple of weeks :)[/quote]
Edit: Rubbish joke removed.

To liven things up, next week play a B. Honestly, it'll be like a breath of fresh air.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='jakesbass' post='537411' date='Jul 10 2009, 06:45 PM']When practicing sight reading avoid the tempatation to stop and replay mistakes as this makes for disjointed playing, it's better (at first) to plough on through ignoring mistakes but getting to the end of the piece in time, after a few goes the errors will be ironed out.[/quote]

I disagree with the method of just ploughing through.
If you do make a mistake it is always better to stop and break it down slowly and practice out of time until you can play it correctly. That way the next time you see that particular note or rhythm or whatever you will know exactly what to play.
It doesn't matter how long it takes you to read one note or rhythm when you are in the practice room,the only time you need to play through
correctly without stopping and in time is on the bandstand.

I learnt to sight read this term. My method was far less thought through, and instead I just completely jumped in at the deep end. I offered to play bass for my hall play, and had about a week between getting the sheet music and our first rehearsal. before that rehearsal I just about memorised where the open strings are written. After that I was literally learning on the fly. Thankfully as it was pretty much just crotchets.

The MD's advice was that to better cover up any mistakes, learn to read the key signature, so that if I can't read a note fast enough just play the root note of the key and most definitely stay in time. as a bassist very few people will notice a note that's wrong in pitch compared to wrong in rhythm.

There is a great site available with all sorts of stuff to help in all areas of music development - including a programme that generates sight reading material to various levels

[url="http://www.practicespot.com/freetools.phtml"]Have a look here[/url]

There are loads of sites with printed music you can practice with - try ignoring the treble clef sign too and play the notes as if they are in the bass clef. There are some intricate treble clef lines that will bring on your sight reading pretty quickly.

Edited by rslaing

[quote name='Doddy' post='537547' date='Jul 10 2009, 09:56 PM']I disagree with the method of just ploughing through.[/quote]
Actually Jakebass was referring to [u]sight-reading practise[/u] rather than practice per se.
And I think he's right - its good to test yourself with a piece you've never seen before. Try to get to the end without stopping - keeping the pulse constant. Because in a real performance situation you can't stop if you make an error, you just have to plough on and hold your nerve. This takes practice. To be fair, Jake is assuming a certain level of reading competence. If you can't sight read, then this advice is not for you.

But Doddy is also correct:
When doing private practise, you should break down the piece into small sections and perfect them before moving on. But take care to make the whole piece work smoothly when you put it back together. I've had many instances of pupils getting so used to thinking in the short phrases they practiced, that they then struggle to put it all back together again.

And to add to Jake's advice re working with a conductor /MD:
Ideally you need to be able to see the conductor with your peripheral vision at all times. It's quite possible to see the part and the MD at the same time. Never bury your head in the music. If you can't see him/her you need to adjust your sitting position or the height of the music stand. And you need to get used to playing without watching your hands - maybe the occasional glance when you change position (on BG) - its a lot easier on DB as you just have to use your ears to know whether you are in the right place.

The Major

[quote name='Doddy' post='537547' date='Jul 10 2009, 09:56 PM']I disagree with the method of just ploughing through.[/quote]

As the Major very kindly pointed out I was referring specifically to sight reading practise. Hence my saying "When practising [b]sight reading[/b]".
I can't stress how important it is to be in the right place at the right time.
Obviously, when learning to read rhythms and intervals slow, repetition is very important.

Edited by jakesbass

Some good tips here.

When I was learning piano my teacher used to raid the music library for stuff a grade or two down from what we were learning and make us sight read it. Once through each piece only, no stopping. When you'd finished the book, bring it back and be given another one. If you can, skim through the piece in 30 seconds or so before you start, noting key changes and time changes.

The other useful piece of advice I was given is to learn to read intervals, not absolute notes. A line in the stave to a space is an even interval (4th, 6th, octave etc) space to space or line to line is a 5th, 7th, 9th.

Getting into orchestras as a string bass player is usually easy - full orchestras need 8 double basses. Jazz and swing bands are much harder since they typically only have one bass player.

My sight reading improved radically when I took up tuba!

Gary Willis has a page on his site that I've found to be extremely beneficial for my pitch reading abilities:

[url="http://garywillis.com/pages/lessons/read.html"]http://garywillis.com/pages/lessons/read.html[/url]

[quote name='pete.young' post='538362' date='Jul 12 2009, 11:26 AM']Getting into orchestras as a string bass player is usually easy - full orchestras need 8 double basses. Jazz and swing bands are much harder since they typically only have one bass player.[/quote]

Indeed, there is usually a big demand for double bass players in amateur orchestras vs. the swing bands where it's often a case of "dead men's shoes". However, there is often the opportunity to dep for the bass player in a swing band, which is probably one of the best ways to put your sight reading skills into practice.

While orchestras may be easy to get into, the trouble starts when you get there. There are often very, very, very challenging parts in some of the pieces they play.

Jennifer

Jake's right. The purpose of sight reading practice is to sight read not to learn the piece. If you learn the piece, however superficially, you are starting to play it be ear and not actually to read it. Ploughing through is good because that's what the discipline requires. Stopping to correct errors will get you fired off a gig :)

I agree that there is considerable merit in learning to read rhythms and dots sepearately in the early stages. Reading rhythms is actually a lot easier than you think and you can learn a lot quite quickly before bringing in the notes. My problems start with key signatures. A massive percentage of jazz is written in F, Bb or Eb or C, G and D so a b major key signature gives me the willies - accidentals are also an isues if there are too many of them.

Main point is that there are NO quick fixes for this. To lear to sight read like Ready Freddy Washington will take years (I know a guy who is what I call a ten-finger reading painist and he reckons it took him 15 years to get it sorted).

PATIENCE (a swear word in contemporary society) is the key.

PATIENCE!

[quote name='peted' post='537069' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:05 AM']I'm currently working my way through a book titled 'Simplified Sight Reading for Bass' and it's brilliant.[/quote]

Just had a look at that on Amazon and it looks ideal for my needs at the moment too - ordered! Many thanks for the heads-up :)

Danny

[quote name='acidbass' post='539457' date='Jul 13 2009, 04:42 PM']Just had a look at that on Amazon and it looks ideal for my needs at the moment too - ordered! Many thanks for the heads-up :)[/quote]
Same here, mine arrived today - looks to be a worthwhile purchase :rolleyes:

[quote name='acidbass' post='539457' date='Jul 13 2009, 04:42 PM']Just had a look at that on Amazon and it looks ideal for my needs at the moment too - ordered! Many thanks for the heads-up :)

Danny[/quote]

[quote name='bythesea' post='539459' date='Jul 13 2009, 04:46 PM']Same here, mine arrived today - looks to be a worthwhile purchase :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hehe you say that now, wait till you get about 35 pages in - the rhythms start getting properly mental. Expect your brain to be truly mashed :lol:

[quote name='51m0n' post='539462' date='Jul 13 2009, 04:53 PM']Hehe you say that now, wait till you get about 35 pages in - the rhythms start getting properly mental. Expect your brain to be truly mashed :)[/quote]
Yep. I've just had to go back to Exercise 9 from 16 as I totally lost the plot trying to play along to a metronome instead of the CD. Found that I was relying on the bass part of the CD too much somehow.

I'll second Bilbo in saying that you really need a lot of patience to stick with it. I can only get in 15-30 minutes an evening once the littl'un has gone to bed and I'm starting to think it's going to take me a year to get the basics!