Why become a member? ×

marcus miller or geddy lee bass

Bay Splayer

thinking about buying a new bass and have always liked the look of the [i]marcus miller jazz [/i]but....

have read they are fantastic if you play mostly slap but not so good for finger style rock/pop and so on

have any of you owners or ex-owners on here got different opinions on this?

am looking for a [u]low action[/u] and a bass with [u]decent low-end[/u]

also, any opinions on the [i]geddy lee jazz [/i]would be welcome as i am also interested in that too

cheers

mark

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='535818' date='Jul 8 2009, 04:42 PM']thinking about buying a new bass and have always liked the look of the [i]marcus miller jazz [/i]but....

have read they are fantastic if you play mostly slap but not so good for finger style rock/pop and so on

have any of you owners or ex-owners on here got different opinions on this?

am looking for a [u]low action[/u] and a bass with [u]decent low-end[/u]

also, any opinions on the [i]geddy lee jazz [/i]would be welcome as i am also interested in that too

cheers

mark[/quote]
Mark...I wouldnt say the Miller jazz is not good for fingerstyle...I would say its good all round..I cant speak for the Geddy Jazz, but i have heard good things...If you can, play both..then decide..

PS. the low action depends on how the bass has been set up from where you have bought it from..You can adjust this without too much trouble...Loads of info on the net about doing this...

All the best..

Edited by bubinga5

Had 'em both, and they are both superb basses for any knid of music you want to play on them. Rock, jazz, pop, funk anything you like on either bass. Very simillar basses apart from the pre on the Marcus, in fact pretty much identical.

The bass player from Opeth (metal) uses as Marcus and the bass player from Crowded House (pop) uses a Geddy to give two examples.

Superb build, tone, playability on either model, but you need to go and try them.

Seriously, go and try them out. You can play any music on any bass period.

The other major difference as I understand it (in addition to the active EQ on the MM) is that the Geddy has an exceptionally thin neck (Geddy shaved down the neck on his 70s Jazz that this is a copy of). This means it plays very fast but also, according to some, leaves it prone to changing shape as the weather gets hotter or cooler - meaning truss rod tweaks etc. Don't know if this is a serious issue but it was highlighted by a BC'er not too long ago IIRC.

I have a MM4, it plays great...
It came with a very low action that was set up great, no buzzing....
[but not for me - i like a C2C over head power action... :) ]
I did not like the stock pre-amp though,
so i had a Nordstrand 2 band pre-amp put in.
Sounds great now for finger and slap....
So a +1 from me.

Not tried the tried the Geddy Lee.

Garry

I own a Geddy Lee and have played and recorded both, the Geddy's neck is slim and very nice, the MM's neck is a little heavier, but not by much, I thought about getting an MM before I played the Geddy Lee.

Tone wise the GL is pure 70's Jazz, plenty of lovely passive grunt with good variation, the Badass on both helps them sustain, and the sound is great for rock and pop, it slaps reasonably well if you have a good amp EQ and fresh strings.

The MM is a more versatile beast, it's pre gives it the ability to cover more tonal range from the bass than the GL, but it seemed to need just a little in the low end for heavier rock, might have been the player though.

Play both, choose the one that you like the feel of, they are both great instruments.

[quote name='Rayman' post='535839' date='Jul 8 2009, 04:57 PM']Had 'em both, and they are both superb basses for any knid of music you want to play on them. Rock, jazz, pop, funk anything you like on either bass. Very simillar basses apart from the pre on the Marcus, in fact pretty much identical.

The bass player from Opeth (metal) uses as Marcus and the bass player from Crowded House (pop) uses a Geddy to give two examples.

Superb build, tone, playability on either model, but you need to go and try them.

Seriously, go and try them out. You can play any music on any bass period.[/quote]I damn well agree with that last line.

[quote name='Clarky' post='535844' date='Jul 8 2009, 05:02 PM']The other major difference as I understand it (in addition to the active EQ on the MM) is that the Geddy has an exceptionally thin neck (Geddy shaved down the neck on his 70s Jazz that this is a copy of). This means it plays very fast but also, according to some, leaves it prone to changing shape as the weather gets hotter or cooler - meaning truss rod tweaks etc. Don't know if this is a serious issue but it was highlighted by a BC'er not too long ago IIRC.[/quote]

I too have a slightly modded Geddy (I just took the PG off, I like the all black/maple look :) ) and I absolutely love it. It even plays second fiddle to my MTD sometimes and that takes something very special lol.

In terms of the neck, it does alter more easily than others but i've found if you just keep it out of direct sunlight it stays fine. Also it pays dividends to do small adjustments yourself rather than letting it build up.

But as has been said, play both, I've heard great things about the MM. In terms of other famous players, the guy from the Killers uses a Geddy and the bassist from Taking Back Sunday certainly used to use a MM :rolleyes:

Post pics whichever way you go! :lol:

[quote name='ashevans09' post='536131' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:26 AM']Really? I'm digging that tone! Anyone put one of those J retros in a geddy? I am interested I've got to say...[/quote]

Yep the signal output is less than my USA Jazz dated from around 80/81.

The sansamp helps increase the output without pushing the amp to its limits

[quote name='Jambo63' post='536492' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:49 PM']Yep the signal output is less than my USA Jazz dated from around 80/81.

The sansamp helps increase the output without pushing the amp to its limits[/quote]

Yes ... effectively this is what I am up against. I have put my MM neck on a Jap75RI. The active Marcus pups were too much for me and now the RI pups haven't got the oompphhh or tone of my US Jazz. In essence I have a GL bass all be it a 3 bolt.

I received my Wizzard 84's and Gotoh bridge this morning and should have the mods done by next week.

There are lots of good vibes about the MM and GL, hopefully I have found some kind of 1/2 way house and will find what I have been looking for because I love these basses.

:)

Edited by Mr Fudge

[quote name='ashevans09' post='536131' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:26 AM']Really? I'm digging that tone! Anyone put one of those J retros in a geddy? I am interested I've got to say...[/quote]

Sure did. Phenomenal. The amount of boost and cut is sick. Plus the 10k switch is like instant slap tone. And, the pups are not underpowered by any stretch of the imagination.

Every now and then I do a gig in passive and it makes me smile that my fall back is a bloody great sound.

is the truss rod adjustment in the headstock or at the body end of the neck

reason i ask is that i have read some [i]"internet reviews" [/i]posted a few years ago that moan about difficult truss rod adjustment

yet the pics i have seen look like it adjusts at the headstock end

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='536554' date='Jul 9 2009, 04:12 PM']is the truss rod adjustment in the headstock or at the body end of the neck

reason i ask is that i have read some [i]"internet reviews" [/i]posted a few years ago that moan about difficult truss rod adjustment

yet the pics i have seen look like it adjusts at the headstock end[/quote]

It's at the body and it's partially covered by the scratchplate, which needs ro be removed to get to the truss rod, so yes it;s a bit of a pain.

That said, mine's straight as an arrow and hasn't moved all through the summer in a loft conversion.

[quote name='Rayman' post='535839' date='Jul 8 2009, 04:57 PM']Had 'em both, and they are both superb basses for any knid of music you want to play on them. Rock, jazz, pop, funk anything you like on either bass. Very simillar basses apart from the pre on the Marcus, in fact pretty much identical.

Seriously, go and try them out. You can play any music on any bass period.[/quote]

Yeah, check out Martin Mendez live. He plays fingerstyle (and fast) with a MM sig.

Hello,

Really interesting this thread as I played a Geddy Lee for the first time today. Simply put, it was absolutely fantastic! I was actually smiling and laughing with shear joy as I played it the store guy thought I was mad. The neck is unbelievebly slim and quick and has a lovely burpy growlu=y jazz tone. I loved it so much I am currently hunting around for one myself.

I played a Marcus some time ago so tough to compare but from what I remeber it was also a stunning bass that made a big impression on me. I have to say I was not overly fussed with the pre in the MM and didnt find it that versatile (it was a long time ago) but still sounded great if that makes sense.

Anyway yes go for a Geddy...they are awesome and I know what the fuss is about now.