Why become a member? ×

Which do you use?

ZPQ

Hi.

When I play guitar I have a fairly comprehensive rack set up, but for bass I'm just going straight to the amp.

I don't feel the urgent need for any exotic sounds but I do wonder if I'm missing something - or maybe I just need to justify buying more toys...

Anyway, I would be very interested to see what sort of set up you are generally using for gigging, band rehearsals etc.

Thanks
John

I would have whatever I could get the sound I wanted with. If I could afford the kind of rack gear i'd need, and I had the time to program it, and I had a floor controller, then that'd be fine. At the moment, gigging with a massive board is also fine. I there are issues of practicality and cost, but not really sound, which is the main thing at the ned of the day!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice and simple, 99% of the time I turn up to gigs with just a bass, an amp and sufficient cables to make it all work. But maybe it's in reaction to when I play guitar, when I turn up with wah, chorus or phase, footswitches to control the amp, delay, maybe a compressor or overdrive... The phrase "All the gear but no idea" was coined for me :)

I'd be interested in pedals that improve the basic tone without forking out for a more expensive amp, like my BDI21 does. But with the whole pedal philosophy of pedals (effects) I'm reluctant to explore other tone improving devices.

When I can afford a nice amp I don't expect to be using anything though.

Yesterday, I blew my Korg AX3000B again and though Korg are great and fix things pretty quickly, I'm bored of multi-effects units - I didn't get on with the Boss ME-50B I had. I can live without effects for the Blues Brothers tribute except for my EBS Multi-Comp and Sansamp BDI if we're playing a big gig but for this new Disco/Funk 70s band I'm going into I'm going to need a good envelope filter at least and a volume pedal so I reckon I'm going to go down the route of quality effects pedals to keep it simple.

I tend to find that gadget-type things with big menus and lots of buttons suck up huge amounts of my time as I become obsessed with tweaking all the time trying to find the perfect sound much like a surfer sitting on his board all afternoon waiting for the 100 year wave that never comes.

Over to the For Sale threads now to find a filter!

i always have pedals - it's just the quantity that changes.
one gig requires more textures and sounds than another and therefore has the big pedalboard. others that don't need such a variety only get the small board.
since i mainly run straight to desk via DI with IEM/ wedge, the only tone shaping i have is with either the Hartke VXL or MXR M80

• 2 weeks later...

Been using a bass+amp rig since I started playing. I had a distortion and a wah pedal a while back, but never found a practical live use for them.

Recently though, in my new band, I've been using more and more effects, to the point that I sold my GT6B to buy separate pedals. I'm around 50% done with finding everything I want for that now - sucks as I have two gigs this month, which I'll be using a half-filled pedalboard for :)