Why become a member? ×

Dave Fletcher R.I.P

Major-Minor

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I've just heard the very sad news that one the UK's best Double Bass players has passed away.
Dave Fletcher has died in his sleep at the age of 37. Until 18 months ago, Dave was Principal Double Bass with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. He had relocated to London to pursue a freelance career and, last time I spoke to him, he was also embarking on a Sound Engineering Course. Dave and I had many chats about our shared enthusiasm for composing using computer technology and I knew he was keen to take this further.
I only knew Dave briefly, when he came and did several weeks work as guest Principal with the BBC orchestra I play in.

Hw was a great musician, a charming man, and the bass world is poorer for his absence.

Dave had appeared at Glastonbury the weekend before his death performing with Colourama.
You can hear and see Dave on this BBC web page, which has been posted as a tribute to him:

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/glastonbury/2009/artists/colorama/index.shtml"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/glastonbury/2009/arti...ama/index.shtml[/url]

My heart goes out to his girlfriend, ex wife and two small children.

Edited by Major-Minor

Having seen the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra play twice in the last four years, I maybe would have seen him.

I'm so sorry to hear this news. We've all got to go some time, but going whilst you have more in front of you than you have behind, seems unfair and sad for those close by.

Thats sad, I have a friend who knew him well. She showed me some of the photos of him over the years and it sounds like he will be remembered fondly. I understand that Glasto was a bit of a highlight for him?

The news knocked me for 6 when I heard it last week, he was a colleague of mine in Liverpool for a few years, tremendously warm and funny guy (he would always lay on a thick Newcastle accent when in funny mode). A player of the highest standard, he would perform concertos with the orchestra which is, let's face it, a real rarity - to have a Double Bass concerto in a mainstream concert season. He played like a star, the audience loved it, as did the reviewers.
I remember his trial for the RLPO job - a real 'roast-up' - Mahler 1, he played the infamous solo not only totally accurately but intensely musically [i]every time[/i] - it was a few shows in a row.
Dave was also Co-principal in the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, and went from there to an Opera Company (Principal) in Oslo I think prior to the Liverpool Phil.
His photo is on a big poster outside the Phil (amongst photos of some other players).
R.I.P. Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

Only just heard the news a week ago (and the only reason i've joined Basschat in fact!) glad someone posted this - i worked / studied alongside Dave at music college in the early 90s for 4 years - he was a great musician, and one of the funniest blokes i've ever met! Will never forget his Darth Vader impressions just prior to walking onstage for Mahler 5 (i was in tears by the time i sat down...!). He was a force of nature, and a law unto himself throughout college (never choosing to conform if it got in the way of his talent or ideals).
Absolutely shocked he's gone already (especially being the same age!) - he did, as someone else has said, have half his career ahead of him. Thank god he did some big things with his life (both professionally and personally) in his short time
RIP Dave - wish I'd made the effort to get back in contact a bit sooner, but glad i got to know you for a while!

Phil Reynolds