Why become a member? ×

Dr strings

The first question is do you need to change your sound? Would different strings enhance your sound? High end strings are not important to many types of music.

Over the years I've used Rotosound, Elites, MusicMan D'Addario and Fender strings until I looked at DR. In my opinion they are the best strings I've used. I play a USA Lakland and my rig cost over 3 grand so I want to make the best of my investment and get the best quality tone that I can. Luckily, I get complimented on my sound.

This is a very subjective area and you can only be guided by others. Get a set of DR strings (I use Lo-Riders) and try them. They are too expensive in the shops here so check out the web. I buy a supply when I holiday in the US.

Edited by chris_b

I've tried many different makes of strings over the years but always felt something was not quite right Now I have settled on DRs for most of my basses. I buy on-line from the USA. Outstanding are Lo-Riders (Stainless) on the Lakland DJ5, Lo-Riders (Nickel) on the Lakland Duck Dunn and Hi-Beams on the Fender Jazz. In a word, they work for me.

Yeah - tried a couple of sets of the coated ones. Sounded great (and looked fab it has to be said) but they just didn't last and they were more expensive than Elixirs, which takes some doing. I think the problem is they coat the winding before they wind it - had the same problem with D'addario EXP's and the Warwick one's as well. Whereas Elixirs coat it afterwards so you get less build up of crap in between the windings.

I use Elixirs and DRs.
Haven't tried the coated DRs, but I've tried Warwick EMPs, and they didn't come close to the Elixirs. I'm going with the coated/wound vs. wound/coated theory, too. IF that holds true for the coated/wound DRs, I'd expect them to "go off" like the EMPs did- too quickly.

I've got some 45-100 Fat beams (uncoated) on a Squier 70's VMJazz.

I know... Cheap bass, expensive strings, but... Wow! Edgy sound, and what a tone! I played it last week against a Yamaha TRB6 (II) in rehearsal, and in terms of tone, it actually matched it!! (and destroyed an RBX374!)

The Elixirs sound great on my Warwick, and there are others on here who'd agree. They sound a bit "glassy" on the Yamaha Attitude, but I think that's caused by a combination of Elixirs and the phenolic fretboard.

Just for reference, the EMP/Elixir comparison was on the Warwick.

No durability issues with the Fat beams thus far. They're doing well for an uncoated string, even against my sweaty mitts!

• 2 months later...

It's funny but I've just switched back to using DR's from Elixirs.

The Elixirs seem to be lacking in the lows, they seem to be all mids...lower and upper, a bit sterile I suppose.

The DR's have far more character, and a far more detailed, full and complex sound to them.

I've been using the Elixirs for a month or so, and sort of liked them, but thought there was always something missing in the sound.

I've been using DR sunbeams for over a year now had some black beauties a few sets of strings before from my memory I really liked them and the longest lasting strings I have owend.

I tried and bought a set of elixirs a month or so ago I wasn't impressed with the sound what so ever went straight back to the DR's. Got to get around to trying some Lo-Riders, and Im putting blue peacock coated on my fretless when its finished.

[quote name='kjb' post='41724' date='Aug 5 2007, 10:35 PM']It's funny but I've just switched back to using DR's from Elixirs.

The Elixirs seem to be lacking in the lows, they seem to be all mids...lower and upper, a bit sterile I suppose.

The DR's have far more character, and a far more detailed, full and complex sound to them.

I've been using the Elixirs for a month or so, and sort of liked them, but thought there was always something missing in the sound.[/quote]

Exactley my opinion.
Been using Elixirs for a few years now, with the odd testing of various strings, and Ive now finally found something that I like and thats the DR Hi-Beams.
You cant beat Elixir for durability I have to say, but these days Im finding that the Elixirs just sound a bit rubbery and lifeless, and Im still changing them after a couple of months as I really notice a drop in that new sound after about a month. The Dr's are far, far nicer sounding and even after a gig on Saturday, although acoustically they sound a [i]little[/i] dead, plugged in I dont notice and it was a very sweaty gig!
They certainly suit my Ric anyhoo.
Takes a tiny bit of getting used to not having the smooth feel of the Elixirs, but due to the smaller windings on the Dr's, its neithr major nor a long time.
I tried the coated DR's a while back and they, to me, just had now life in them whatsoever.

Andy

[quote name='Sugden' post='42277' date='Aug 7 2007, 02:42 AM']I've been using DR sunbeams for over a year now had some black beauties a few sets of strings before from my memory I really liked them and the longest lasting strings I have owend.

I tried and bought a set of elixirs a month or so ago I wasn't impressed with the sound what so ever went straight back to the DR's. Got to get around to trying some Lo-Riders, and Im putting blue peacock coated on my fretless when its finished.[/quote]
SEXAY ! Been using DR Hi Beams over the summer and have found the even response and projection on all positions to be addictive. Red strings on the ACG, mmmmmmmm :)

I used to be an Elixir player but I use the DR Extra Life "coloured" strings now and they are superb.
Way better than the Elixirs IMHO and they don't feel slimey to start with and then go all fuzzy after a while. More like regular strings from the start.
I've used the Black ones, and currently use the Red Devils and feel & tone wise I just like them more.

They last just as long as the Elixirs too.

Check out some of the ebay'ers in the US that ship to the UK.
I tend to buy a couple of sets every 6 months or so and they cost around £40 inc. shipping for the 2 sets and no customs tax to pay.

Try these, just as cheap as America, less hassle, and no import duty.

[url="http://saitenkatalog.de/shop1/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/51/products_id/3285?osCsid=52557f64e37374066de9fda121756b18"]http://saitenkatalog.de/shop1/product_info...de9fda121756b18[/url]

[quote name='kjb' post='43449' date='Aug 9 2007, 07:10 PM']Try these, just as cheap as America, less hassle, and no import duty.

[url="http://saitenkatalog.de/shop1/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/51/products_id/3285?osCsid=52557f64e37374066de9fda121756b18"]http://saitenkatalog.de/shop1/product_info...de9fda121756b18[/url][/quote]

Just had a good browse around this site - good find.

Thanks kjb

I have used Elixirs on all my basses for a while now - they last months and months - the set on my most often played bass are a year old now and still sound brilliant. I have no reason to change, having tried many others (although not these DR coated ones) but kind of don't want to rock the applecart now everything is in place!

Cheers
ped

P.s you can hear the Elixirs on my website bass clips etc - I don't find them mid heavy or brittle at all.

[quote name='kjb' post='43449' date='Aug 9 2007, 07:10 PM']Try these, just as cheap as America, less hassle, and no import duty.[/quote]

Sorry, but at 40 euro's a set and 9 euro shipping for my 5 string DR "coated" strings isn't that about £60 for my 2 sets from Germany ?
I'm pretty sure my last ebay set from the US was 32 dollars a set and 12 dollar shipping. No hassle, no import duty and about £38 delivered for my 2 sets.

No brainer I'm afraid !

[quote name='largo' post='46053' date='Aug 15 2007, 08:38 PM']Sorry, but at 40 euro's a set and 9 euro shipping for my 5 string DR "coated" strings isn't that about £60 for my 2 sets from Germany ?
I'm pretty sure my last ebay set from the US was 32 dollars a set and 12 dollar shipping. No hassle, no import duty and about £38 delivered for my 2 sets.

No brainer I'm afraid ![/quote]

I wasn't referring to ebay, but websites like juststrings etc, if I want strings I don't want to have to wait until someone lists some.

I just did a quick search on ebay and couldn't see anyone selling lowriders in a 6 string set.

I bought 2 sets from Germany last week, they arrived in 3 days, and cost £56 including shipping, stringbuster and strings direct charge £40 a set.

Edited by kjb

Fair Dooz KJB

Quick ebay search found this [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/DR-Strings-Lo-Rider-MH6-30-30-125-Bass-Guitar-6-string_W0QQitemZ200094766973QQihZ010QQcategoryZ41432QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem"]DR Lo-Riders 6 String Set[/url]

37 USD + 11 USD shipping, you'll get 2 sets for £42 shipped and to your door.