Why become a member? ×

I think I've finally found my Jazz bass nirvana

GreeneKing

I have somewhere stuck into my head that so far as classic tone goes a Fender Jazz is a defining instrument.

In my quest for a jazz I've owned a few both Fender and Sadowsky, US, CIJ, Marcus Miller, Lakland, Metro and 'allparts'. All of them were good but none stuck around for that long.

I saw Tom's (AREA) Maruszczyk Elwood and thought it looked stunning and worth a shot. Build quality wise it's at least at Sadowsky standard with a one piece ash body and high quality hardware. The fit and finish are great and the neck is a real revelation being a slim jazz style and with a zero fret. The action is very low and it's very playable too. Weight wise it's average, certainly no ball buster. It's also completely mint.

It's passive with Bass Culture pickups. I love the tone and having played it at two band practices find myself going for the honky bridge pickup sound even when it doesn't suit the song :)

I'll post some photos when I get a chance but there's a couple of shots a few post down on here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=52281&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=52281&hl=[/url]

So, the only issue I have with the bass is that I don't know how to pronounce it's name :rolleyes:

Any help there would be appreciated.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='533615' date='Jul 6 2009, 11:02 AM']So, the only issue I have with the bass is that I don't know how to pronounce it's name :)

Any help there would be appreciated.[/quote]

My wife (Danuta Urszula Teodorovna Braczek) would pronounce that "Maroosh-t-chick".

It's getting that 't' sound in the middle that screws your tongue up.

:rolleyes:

Very very nice mate, I'm looking forward to having a try on that.

My search goes on...... :) ........the 78 P and the Villex jazz are now both sold.

I'm missing the low B of the Overwater, should [i]never have sold that bass[/i].

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='537729' date='Jul 11 2009, 09:52 AM']+1

Nice looking bass Peter! Are you going to put a string tree on it?[/quote]

I'm not quite sure how they design around the need for one Nik but it doesn't need one, maybe the setback of the headstock is greater?

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='537732' date='Jul 11 2009, 09:56 AM']I'm not quite sure how they design around the need for one Nik but it doesn't need one, maybe the setback of the headstock is greater?

Peter[/quote]

The zero fret probably makes a tree superfluos.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='537788' date='Jul 11 2009, 11:20 AM']The string-tree is all about getting a decent break angle at the witness point of the string whether that be a zero fret or the nut. Is the headstock angled back?[/quote]

It's not angled but is maybe set further back.