Why become a member? ×

Jazz pups

Mr Fudge

I have chopped and changed various bits of Jazz basses in recent months and feel I am almost there. The bass I'm currently using has a Jap RI75 body with US pups. However, it doesnt have the tone or growl of my original US Jazz. I dont want to swap them over because I love my US bass just the way it is.

Therefore I'm thinking of some new pups in my Jap, and Im drawn towards Wizzards, probably 84's or Hammers. Any other suggestions?

Im also thinking of updating the bridge. I might go for the Gotoh one that is about £30. I was also wondering how much of an improvement this is on the Fender 75 bridge and how far away it is from the Badass.

Thanks in anticipation of answers.

Mr Fudge

Wizard 84s are bigger, darker sounding than the 64s which are supposed to be simillar in sound to a standard Jazz pickup. Good pickups whichever you chose.

I went for Villex in my Highway One Jazz, they're massive sounding although passive, and provide a great range of tones.

As far as the bridge is concerened, it has to be badass for me, although any high mass bridge is believed to improve sustain and tone. I have to confess, I'm far to thick to notice a massive difference between any of them in terms of sound, but the Badass sure does look nice.

[quote name='Rayman' post='533563' date='Jul 6 2009, 09:52 AM']Wizard 84s are bigger, darker sounding than the 64s which are supposed to be simillar in sound to a standard Jazz pickup. Good pickups whichever you chose.

I went for Villex in my Highway One Jazz, they're massive sounding although passive, and provide a great range of tones.

As far as the bridge is concerened, it has to be badass for me, although any high mass bridge is believed to improve sustain and tone. I have to confess, I'm far to thick to notice a massive difference between any of them in terms of sound, but the Badass sure does look nice.[/quote]

I will change pick up's first, then worry (GAS) about the bridge after I think. The badass does look the dogs though !

[quote name='chris_b' post='533582' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:15 AM']I heard my first active Delano jazz pickups (JSBC 4 HE) last week and they sounded amazing across the whole range, clear and defined notes from full, deep bass to sparkling highs.[/quote]

I haven't had too much joy from active in the past, Im too heavy handed. I want to stay passive, just a bit thicker.

Cheers

[quote name='Shaggy' post='533630' date='Jul 6 2009, 11:22 AM']Lindy Fralins - just my pennysworth - I put one in my Precision P/J and get a nice growl with it, hi-fi but warm. :)[/quote]

Lindys [i]are[/i] very very nice indeed. I had some in a Lakland JO4 and loved the thing to bits.

I managed to pick up (pardon the pun) some of these [url="http://gitarren-mechaniken.de/hp135068/JBX-_Bridge.htm?ITServ=CY175340a4X12250fe6d1aXY6c29"]Schaller JBX[/url]s for next to nothing some time ago. I haven't got round to fitting them yet. Anybody got any experience of them?

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='533550' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:36 AM']Im also thinking of updating the bridge. I might go for the Gotoh one that is about £30. I was also wondering how much of an improvement this is on the Fender 75 bridge and how far away it is from the Badass.[/quote]

I had a BadAss II placed on my MIJ '75 Jazz a few weeks ago and it is a definite improvement. I had to get used to the tone a bit though, as the BadAss II not only improves sustain but also enhances the lows and highs a bit. My bass now sounds very agressive and a bit brighter than it used to. Now that I'm used to that, I love it though. It's an incredible funk monster now.

I did consider the Gotoh 201 bridge. A guy I know who has 3 MIJ '75 RI's has the 201 on all three of them. He actually replaced his BadAss II's with the Gotoh because he thought it improved the sustain without adding colour to the tone and is a very happy man now. I have not tried the Gotoh myself though.

Doing exactly the same thing as you on my MIM Jazz. General consensus I've had from various people who know about such stuff is to get the Gotoh. Almost as good as the BAII for a lot less money. Also, BA used to be a bit fiddly to fit as you had to cut the string slots into the saddles - apparently you can now get them pre-cut though. Might be a good idea to check if you plan to go that way.

Have you thought about going active? Audere seems to be a popular choice but there's lots to choose from, and you'll no doubt get other choices suggested here.

Decided not to change my pups until I've done the other stuff - gives me a chance to see what effect each change has.

[quote name='stevefletch59' post='534754' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:09 PM']Could you let us know what the 84's are like please. I'm thinking of some for my Jazz.

Cheers

Steve[/quote]

It will be a pleasure. Depending on when they arrive I probably won't be using them in anger until a week on Saturday. Please PM me if I forget.